Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys this is not a thread of how to achieve great gas mileage. This is a thread on helping me wrap my head around the concept that this is possible. Ill give you an example.

Sunday night I filled up my car so it can be ready for monday. Monday morning I wake up put the kids in the car. Drop them off at my moms and off to work. I successfully drove 25 miles shifting at 2k rpm. Everything is great and gas mileage is rising. I get off work and start driving to pick up my kids when i run into a wrx and all the hard work i put in that morning goes out the window. Then after that episode i need more so i find myself running other cars as well. Reality hits when i get home and im sitting in my parking garage and realize that i have used up almost half a tank while only driving 60 miles.

I need help, its an addiction..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just slow down, racing is for the track. I didn't buy an ST to go fast on public roads. :lol: Perhaps it is years of driving a lazy Crown Vic that lets me keep things slow on the road.

I would get help, the road is no place for racing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just slow down, racing is for the track. I didn't buy an ST to go fast on public roads. Perhaps it is years of driving a lazy Crown Vic that lets me keep things slow on the road.

I would get help, the road is no place for racing.
You my friend are correct. Also my kids and or my wife are always in the car with me so for the most part im in check . But when im by myself and there is open road i get tempted. Also my main road here in miami is us27 which is a four lane perimeter road that boarders the everglades and mostly deserted, thats why i love it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you want to keep high gas mileage get a tune disable boost. That should help, but then what's the point?

Reactions: Zeek

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Don't worry if there were "AA Meeting" equivalents I would be in them with you pal. I get so happy to see 29-31mpg on my way TO work, and then on the way home (90% highway) a WRX/Ricer Honda<->Acura/V6 Mustang comes along and I don't even look at MPG until I pull into the house and see 23.8mpg :doh:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Guys this is not a thread of how to achieve great gas mileage. This is a thread on helping me wrap my head around the concept that this is possible. Ill give you an example.

Sunday night I filled up my car so it can be ready for monday. Monday morning I wake up put the kids in the car. Drop them off at my moms and off to work. I successfully drove 25 miles shifting at 2k rpm. Everything is great and gas mileage is rising. I get off work and start driving to pick up my kids when i run into a wrx and all the hard work i put in that morning goes out the window. Then after that episode i need more so i find myself running other cars as well. Reality hits when i get home and im sitting in my parking garage and realize that i have used up almost half a tank while only driving 60 miles.

I need help, its an addiction..

Before I put the FRPP on my ST, I was able to get 30-32MPG consistently.
Then again, I had a few things working in my favor:

1- Commute is 90% highway
2- I was shifting gears at 2K RPM
3- I was driving like a 90 y/o woman (see #2)
4- 30% of my commute goes up some mountains, so evidently, it has to go down the same...

I went as high as 34MPG but it happened just once :)
After the FRPP, I can do 28MPG consistently but I can reach 30 if I drive really conservatively.

Of course, every so often, I get annoyed by people on that mountain road, and I just blow past them, which is not smart nor economical :question:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am fairly convinced that one of the design considerations of making an "economical" car is to make it so lifeless and dull that you have no desire to drive it any other way.

I came from a 2014 Focus SE and while there was certainly a lot to like about the car, it really did nothing to make you want to take it by it's horns and shake it up. The engine and gear shift points were entirely programmed for economy. You could engage sport mode which basically made the car shift at higher revs (with the predictable drop in MPG), or go into "manual" mode and pretend that you have a stick by toggling a button with your thumb (cheap substitute for a stick). But at least it still had lively handling.

The Hyundai Accent I rented last week was like driving sadness. Like sadness was something you could climb into and tool around in. There was nothing at all engaging about the car. And while I knew it was temporary, everytime I got in the car I let out an audible sigh. It seemed that the world seemed a little less alive when you got behind the wheel.

The ST, on the other hand, is such a sporty and eager ride that it begs you to drive it hard and put it away.....never mind...., and like some crazed masochist, the harder you push it, the more it laughs at your fruitless attempts and asks for more.

I've taken this car up to 120 MPH before I chickened out and the car basically just laughed at me and asked me if that was all I had. I let it coast down to "cruising speed" engage the cruise control and it just comfortably drops back into "practical car" mode.

At STOA I drove this car and it's little brother the Fiesta ST, harder than I have ever driven a vehicle before. I had completely lost all sense of self preservation and hit the track all while my instructor begged me to use a lot more brake and less throttle. I witnessed my classmates routinely cocking a wheel and wishing I had the nerve. Whether we taking turns obscenely fast or performing ridiculous 90 degrees skids to a stop, the cars were willing participants to our madness, and most importantly never gave us any indication that they couldn't handle what we threw at them.

I realize that I am going through a lot more gas with this car than the SE, but it's still miles more efficient than my V6 Venture Minivan I was trudging along with before I joined the Focus family. But luckily gas is still relatively cheap, and I have never owned a car that puts a smile on my face like this one. And the feeling I get driving my little pocket rocket is really something that you can't put a dollar value on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you bought a Focus ST for gas savings, you chose poorly. This car gets great mileage when used as a DD with the spirited drive home, run around town, track day, etc. I commute into work which could be all highway, but that is no fun. I take the back-roads almost exclusively unless in a rush. I average about 311 miles per fill up, and a tank is around 25-30 bucks for 93. That is not a bad cost per mile to have something that can get great economy, and allow me to be a kid again every so often. Whenever the "wrx/civic/<insertcarhere>" shows up, I ignore them. They can get the speeding ticket. Walk softly and carry a big stick

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you bought a Focus ST for gas savings, you chose poorly. This car gets great mileage when used as a DD with the spirited drive home, run around town, track day, etc. I commute into work which could be all highway, but that is no fun. I take the back-roads almost exclusively unless in a rush. I average about 311 miles per fill up, and a tank is around 25-30 bucks for 93. That is not a bad cost per mile to have something that can get great economy, and allow me to be a kid again every so often. Whenever the "wrx/civic/<insertcarhere>" shows up, I ignore them. They can get the speeding ticket. Walk softly and carry a big stick
^^^ This

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
My experience is buying a FOST has given me both better mileage AND performance than I am used to. My previous car was somewhere betwen slow and fast but thought 20 MPG was driving especially efficiently.

I drive my FOST pretty hard to work and back which has some highway and some city. My worst mileage is like 23 MPG, and I like to get up to the speed limit quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts