Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put on my Winter tires a few weeks ago, but was procrastinating on properly storing my summer tires. The powers that be finally told me to get them out of the living room, and as I was putting them away I found this:

IMG_0212.jpg

Now, I check my tires weekly. The damage would of been nicely hidden as the tread itself is fine. I don't remember hitting anything especially hard, but with the wheel looking like it took a nice hit I find it hard to believe the tire is at fault. There were no vibrations and the tire never lost any air. I last rotated my tires in July and this definitely wasn't there then, so this happened between then and November. (With ~3000 miles traveled)

Looking at it, I am pretty lucky it never blew out. While I haven't really seen this type of tire damage before, the worry is now placed in my mind and I have been doing a quick feeler check while looking at everything else. Better to catch it quick this time (If it happens) than sit on it for another 3000+ miles.

TL;DR: Feel the insides of your tires, it may save you from a nasty tire blow out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seriously. Something sharp must have cut a piece out. That looks terrifying. Glad you discovered it and nothing serious happened.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Looks like a big rock, brick, or a awkward curb clip of some sort...it's apparent that you definitely ran something over and didn't notice. Could have been a random night on the highway or something where you just nipped a rock? Undercarriage doesn't have any marks from a rock getting bounced up under does it? If it did this to a tire no doubt it might have dinged the undercarriage.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would have happened. Did you hit something on the road? Should have been noticeable due to the marks on the wheel itself.

Sent from another garage.
Believe me I am just as confused as you are. As I mentioned, the tire was fine in July, but that was quite a while and a few miles ago. It certainly doesn't look like damage normally found from hitting a pothole, and I certainly don't remember hitting anything on the road. I do quite a bit of driving through dirt/gravel roads so maybe something there caused it, but those aren't roads you really go fast on. I would like to say I am pretty attentive to how the car behaves, but as you mentioned a hit like that should of been noticeable even if I wasn't paying attention. My Dad did have the car for a week when I took his truck, but he doesn't remember hitting anything and I don't think he even drove it at all.

I had the car aligned yesterday, and inspected all the suspension bits. Alignment was still perfect, and we didn't find any evidence of damage on the underside of the car.

In the end, I am a bit worried and annoyed at my self for not only not noticing it for presumably some amount of time, but also not even remembering or noticing when it happened.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Believe me I am just as confused as you are. As I mentioned, the tire was fine in July, but that was quite a while and a few miles ago. It certainly doesn't look like damage normally found from hitting a pothole, and I certainly don't remember hitting anything on the road. I do quite a bit of driving through dirt/gravel roads so maybe something there caused it, but those aren't roads you really go fast on. I would like to say I am pretty attentive to how the car behaves, but as you mentioned a hit like that should of been noticeable even if I wasn't paying attention. My Dad did have the car for a week when I took his truck, but he doesn't remember hitting anything and I don't think he even drove it at all.

I had the car aligned yesterday, and inspected all the suspension bits. Alignment was still perfect, and we didn't find any evidence of damage on the underside of the car.

In the end, I am a bit worried and annoyed at my self for not only not noticing it for presumably some amount of time, but also not even remembering or noticing when it happened.
Hey, you're fine and didn't have an accident/incident. Sucks it wasn't noticed, but even if it were noticed sooner...same outcome as what we have today. Just gonna have to buy another tire over the winter (if you can find a used one...it looks noticeably worn) and know that you're safe.

·
Registered
979 Posts
What position on the car was this wheel? Front, Rear and what side? That damage is enough you would for sure hear and feel the impact if you were driving. Has anyone else ever driven your car? Service tech., Valet guy etc? Looks like someone clipped a piece of debris or tried to strattle it. Any damage or marks on the under belly splash pan or undercarrage?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts