Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am new to the world of HID lights and have been doing some research (here and elsewhere thru google), but still have a lot of questions. I don't want to do a conversion, I just want to get new headlight assemblies and install them. To that end, i found these online: HID Xenon + 15-17 Ford Focus Dual U-HALO DRL + LED Turn Signal Projector Headlight (Black Housing w/ Smoked Lens & Amber Signal)

I would like to know if anyone has tried these. I have a 2016 ST1 that I will be putting the new lights on.

As the site shows, these come with ballasts. But I can't tell if they are CANbus ballasts, or if I even need CANbus ballasts. (I have tried to email the website, but have not yet gotten a response. May try to call tonight.)

Also, there is an option to get a relay harness. Is that needed for my setup? Will I get error messages/lights if I don't install it?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, I have not been able to find the right info online yet.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All.

I am new to the world of HID lights and have been doing some research (here and elsewhere thru google), but still have a lot of questions. I don't want to do a conversion, I just want to get new headlight assemblies and install them. To that end, i found these online: HID Xenon + 15-17 Ford Focus Dual U-HALO DRL + LED Turn Signal Projector Headlight (Black Housing w/ Smoked Lens & Amber Signal)

I would like to know if anyone has tried these. I have a 2016 ST1 that I will be putting the new lights on.

As the site shows, these come with ballasts. But I can't tell if they are CANbus ballasts, or if I even need CANbus ballasts. (I have tried to email the website, but have not yet gotten a response. May try to call tonight.)

Also, there is an option to get a relay harness. Is that needed for my setup? Will I get error messages/lights if I don't install it?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, I have not been able to find the right info online yet.

Thanks, Dan
those lights are sweet. i would definitely call them if you haven't already-i've purchased lights from them, and they were great to deal with. i would make sure they're canbus, if not another option is to purchase the non-HID projector headlights and then purchase an HID kit (lights and ballasts) from a quality place like retrofit source or diode dynamics. overall it would be a couple $$ more but you'd have a better quality product. and i would get the harness.the harness has nothing to do with you getting error messages-that's the canbus part of it. the harness powers your lights directly off the battery bypassing the factory wiring (the harness will be a larger gauge wire than the factory wiring). even though HID's use less current than halogens, they require more voltage to ignite them initially-they say that can potentially burn up your factory wiring, premature ballast failure, blah, blah, blah...at least that's my understanding. if you're going to do it, might as well do it right

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I know you can use FOCCCUS to tell your body control module that you have aftermarket HID's .

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
those lights are sweet. i would definitely call them if you haven't already-i've purchased lights from them, and they were great to deal with. i would make sure they're canbus, if not another option is to purchase the non-HID projector headlights and then purchase an HID kit (lights and ballasts) from a quality place like retrofit source or diode dynamics. overall it would be a couple $$ more but you'd have a better quality product. and i would get the harness.the harness has nothing to do with you getting error messages-that's the canbus part of it. the harness powers your lights directly off the battery bypassing the factory wiring (the harness will be a larger gauge wire than the factory wiring). even though HID's use less current than halogens, they require more voltage to ignite them initially-they say that can potentially burn up your factory wiring, premature ballast failure, blah, blah, blah...at least that's my understanding. if you're going to do it, might as well do it right
Thanks for the reply. I knew it was the ballast/canbus that threw the error messages, I just wrote it wrong. :)

Your advice about getting the projection assembly and separate HID bulbs/ballasts is a great idea. I hadn't thought about that, but need to look into it. I think I may just go with LED bulbs in this scenario. Thanks!

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts