Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Hi yes I am new hello

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Glassy 
#1 ·
I posted a couple responses to some posts last night, but I guess I didn’t introduce myself to the community. I’ve never really gotten involved on a forum before, and I don’t know if this forum is an outlier or anything, so I don’t really know if introducing yourself when you start participating in a forum is a common thing to do...but, hi? I’m Glassy, and I’m kinda new to performance car stuff and still pretty new to driving stick and very new to winter driving. I think I at least hold my own on the road, but the back end of stuff still has me pretty confused, and considering my ST is the first stick car I’ve ever owned and the first car I purchased myself, there are a few gaps in my knowledge, so I’ll probably be asking some questions for at least a while.

I saw that this is a sub-forum for introducing yourself so uhhhhh I work at Best Buy (literally the only one in the entire state of Vermont), so I at least know tech stuff. Semi-recent college graduate, double majored in English w/creative writing focus and German, so I’m clearly not making much use of my major. I snowboard, which is one of the main reasons I bought the ST and definitely why I went all-in and got the ST3 package (though I do wish I’d had a bit more money to afford the RS, I’d really appreciate the AWD right about now). I love music, and I play both guitar and electric bass. I guess my trunk probably has enough space for my instruments, but I’m not in a band or anything so they’re kinda just sitting in my room for now. And...yeah, I guess that’s some info about me. Not sure how much of that was necessary to share.

On a different note, does anyone have recommendations about how/when to share your car’s build on your profile? I haven’t really done any of my own mods, the only thing I’ve really added are my tires...any of the more experienced members think it’s worth even putting that in my signature?

(Also my sincere apologies if the image is waaaay oversized, I’m managing this post from my iPad and I can’t tell if it’s going to show up right.)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful car, Glassy! Welcome to the forum!

You'll fit in well here! We have a lot of members who share common interests with you aside from the car. As far as your questions you may have, never be afraid to ask. If you have a specific question and don't wish to post a new thread somewhere feel free to PM me, another regular member, or really anyone who you find on here often..most of us are more than happy to help. If you need to contact one of us moderators for anything by all means just shoot one of us a PM. If I can't answer your question myself, I'll happily get you where you need to be. :)

As far as your signature question, really you can put anything you want (unless it breaks the rules lol) in your signature. A lot of us, like myself, has a vague little "mod list" in their signature. It's just something I do personally so if someone has a question about my car maybe they can answer it by looking at my sig. Plus, I like showing the brands I choose to support. If you wanna go another route and put something cool or funny down there, go for it!

I love music and have a bass I never properly learned how to play, I want to get into it some time. Without playing instruments though you'll always find me blasting music. Any genre, I'll like it. Country can be iffy though..

Enjoy your stay here at the forum! :cool:

Reactions: Glassy
#3 ·
Welcome to the ST family Glassy. Your FoSt (FOcus ST, not to be confused with a FiST, Fiesta ST) looks clean, is the the red or is it an orange? Either way it looks good. Ask many questions and you will get many answers. Lots of great information on here, just do what I do and make a pot of coffee sit down in front of the desk top and log in to the Forum and start clicking away. Before you will remember it you will be through that pot and into the weeeeeeeeeeee morning hours when the Roster starts to crow.

LOL See you around the Forum

#5 ·
Welcome! I have a similar story to you. This is really my first forum I've ever been involved with. Also my first car purchased new ('17 ST3), first stick car (learned leaving the dealer parking lot lol). Never really done mods either although I don't think I plan on doing much or any performance mods. I have had some winter driving experience before this car.
I used to snowboard a lot when I lived in PA near the Poconos, now not so much since moving to Ohio :( Little too flat here haha have sold most of my stuff. But that means more time/money for other outdoor hobbies! Backpacking, biking, kayaking, maybe cross country skiing eventually to fill the winter gap? At least you can do that in Ohio haha.

Enjoy the car! It's fun to drive and tons of aftermarket parts available whether it's aesthetics or performance.

#17 ·
Wow, your situation really is similar to mine. I guess we're just trading off winter driving experience for the stick shift lessons I took to prep myself for the car. Still took some getting used to on the Focus specifically, I learned in a pretty garbage learners' Honda Fit with about 42 HP. As far as I can tell, getting performance mods is mostly for the gear heads who are planning to take the car to the track—not something I ever plan on doing, but the ST lineup is pretty good for walking the line between track and road setups. That's a big part of why I bought mine, it's a great everyday car but I can still floor it around corners without it locking up on me. I'm sorry to hear you can't snowboard anymore, but you're right, that does open the door for lots of other opportunities. Plus you could always road trip if you wanted to hit the slopes again, so there's that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Hallo und willkommen.

#10 ·
Welcome to the family fellow New Englander!!! Love the ST in red and your intro pic is great! I hope you enjoy your time on this forum. Lot's to learn and great friends all around!!!! Stick around as your car will thank you even though your wallet won't!

#11 ·
I feel like it might be a little too early to call me a New Englander, I still talk about distance to places instead of time it takes to get there so I can't quite blend in yet. And my wallet is at least thanking me for not getting an RS. Thanks for the welcome though, I really do appreciate it!

#12 ·
Glassy,

I have to laugh...you are absolutely right about "time" to places versus distance. Nobody around here talks about distance....it's all time. I am originally from Rhode Island and the running joke is that if anything is more than 10 minutes away it's too far to bother.

#15 · (Edited)
Burlington is a fun, SMALL city. I love the restaurants, bars and the overall vibe. I hope you're a democrat or else i hope you like to argue ;) Skiing/snowboarding doesn't suck either as long as you get use to ice.

Reactions: Glassy
#18 ·
That's what I noticed on my first few days here. Lots to do just by walking around downtown. It's a great atmosphere. I've actually been surprised by the politics here, it's been further right than I expected. Haven't gotten into any heated arguments yet, so apparently I'm doing something right! And at least for how things are going so far, I'm managing the weather pretty well. Today's 61 degrees and rain kinda threw me and my winter tires off, but it's going to be back to snow tomorrow, so...at least the Midwest prepared me for this?

#19 ·
Your winter tires will be in heaven soon!!!! I am absolutely floored that you've found politics to be further right than expected. Don't get used to that. Burlington is about as far left on the political spectrum as it gets. In full disclosure, I have a tendency to lean left, but they lean too far to the left for me.

#20 ·
My Hakkapellita R2s have been loving the weather since I put them on in mid-November, but today was the first day since they were installed that was over the recommended max of 55. I definitely lean left on the political end too, and Burlington itself is definitely far to the left, but I'm from near San Francisco and I've been to Berkeley a few times. So I've seen even more extreme. And I deal with a lot of people from more rural parts of Vermont, and they're the ones who are typically right or at least right-leaning. It's mostly just those people I think I was referring to, sorry for the confusion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.