Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone ,

Been lurking here a couple of weeks. Heres a quick story about how i fell for a car i never knew existed. In the early 2000s I had a 1988 5.0 while i was in the Air Force. Put some money, blood, sweat and alot of love into that car. I loved getting up and just driving. Every time i turned it on, that growl! That feel!! That torque!! It was a pure joy to drive. I just loved it. It wasnt the fastest but it was always the cleanest. I ended up porting the stock heads, putting in a b303 cam, Trick flow intake, SSM drag arms and some E.T. streets. It ended up running 13.3 @ 101 mph with a 1.6-1.7 60 ft. Was a stoplight MONSTER ! After coming home (and a tour a tour in the desert) I decided college was for me. I was going to use my Stang as my daily driver (which it already was) to get to and from the local community college. Well my car turned heads, lots of heads.One night at 5 am on a tuesday it was stolen off my drive way. Police tried to help but i never saw it again. I was heart broken. Ive never loved a car , never thought i could love a machine the way I loved that Mustang. Well after that (and im really down playing the hurt i felt) I figured my car days were over. I finished C.C. ended up getting into UT Austin in 04. Well I needed a car again i and figured a responsible practical choice was the way to go: bought 1997 Toyota 4runner. Well a year later the tranny blew then did a quick stint in a second 4runner. After college I got a teaching job. I figured i'd go a 'step up' and bought a 2000 Z71 Tahoe (and i love it and still have it) and ended up putting a 100,000 miles on it (its at 208,000 now still going) AS much i loved that truck there was always something missing...that thrill, and always in the back of my mind I remembered my Mustang. Well anyway, fast forward to 2017, my mom went to a Ford dealership and bought a 2017 Escape. I drove it around and figured it was time for a new car. Well being a teacher i knew a mustang 5.0 was just out of my price range so a teacher recommended me to a Hyundai dealership. The stable minded person took over and thought "oh, a nice friendly hatchback will do me well, Those Volestors look practical, affordable ...boring" So i drove the Volester turbo...meh. Uninspired, cheap, looked cool...again a sigh of 'eh'. (in my heart i longed for my mustang). Long story short I almost walked out with one that night. Figured id give my self a night to think but was sold that i was going to get a Volester. The next morning I woke up to go meet the Hyundai guy to finish the deal. Talked to my mom and dad that morning when she suggested to go, just to see what they offered, to the ford dealership. Off I went on a quick stop. Told the guy what i wanted: Hatch, practical, affordable... so off I went test drove a Focus SE Titanium...meh, a "Focus", lame. Was as unimpressed with it as I was the Volester. As I was walking away, off in the corner of my eye, i see a white "fighter jet" looking car (the rims caught my eye). "Hey whats that?", I asked. "Oh that's an ST, didn't think you'd want that, its like a sports hatch, want to take it for a spin?", "'Sports hatch?? the hell is that? Yea, I guess" .......pedal .......jolt .....Hello again my old friend!!!!.......BRRROMMMMM!!! The growl! The feel! The tourque!!!Blood pumping in my veins!!!!!!! The smile on my face!!!! My Mustang!!! The soul of my car was alive!!! I felt inspired again!!!! ..... and that's all she wrote. That poor Hyundai guy calling, calling, calling wondering why i wasnt answering. Sorry man, I found my girl again =) And thats my story. And some pics of my mustang, my Tahoe and my focus hope you guy enjoyed it.

My Mustang: Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Coupé

My Focus: Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hatchback View attachment 201298 View attachment 201290 View attachment 201290 View attachment 201298 View attachment 201298 Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Coupé

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Great looking vehicles, especially the Mustang. I'm sure it still lives on in your heart.

I wouldn't consider SA central Texas though, too far south.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My fond memories for my 93' Mustang Hatch were very influential in my purchase of the ST. Transmission feels very similar: notchy, predictable and easy to drive all day. I went looking for a WRX, but I did not like the manual transmission. Came home and noticed that everyone online kept mentioning something called a ST? I did not want a wrong wheel drive car, but I had misgivings about buying the WRX, but still wanted a new car that was sporty with some practicality. On a whim I test drove an ST to rule it out, but the opposite happened. I found the nostalgia I had let go of years ago. I can relate to your story. It's not the same car mechanically, but it some how catches the spirit brilliantly.

BTW, I complete my teaching credentials in a few weeks. In an employee lot mostly filled with SUV's, CUV's and 4 door pick-ups, I feel like my red ST is hottest ride on campus.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome post!! I really enjoyed your story. I'm so happy to hear you're back in a car you love. You're going to have a bunch of fun with this thing. Reading how you felt about and treated your old mustang reminds me of myself with the ST. I'll watch out thieves in the driveway. Welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts