Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I live in the the suburbs of Metro NY and I was wondering when everyone puts on there snow tires? Last year I put mine on December 29th because it was relatively warm late fall early winter. I was thinking of putting them on this week as the weather is going to be in the low 50's but next week is supposed to be back in the 60's and I would hate to have to drive like an old lady until April when I take them off. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
If you are getting temps in the 40's consistently, it's time! Summer tires get very hard and lose traction when cold; braking and turning can become a problem.

Edit: here in Kansas we have been getting morning lows in the high 30's and 40's; I put my winters on over the weekend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put mine on over this past weekend. The weather here is around 30-32 overnight with a high of 40ish. Tires were starting to feel slick and rubber was pretty hard (rough ride). I hate winter ..

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I put mine on over this past weekend. The weather here is around 30-32 overnight with a high of 40ish. Tires were starting to feel slick and rubber was pretty hard (rough ride). I hate winter ..
We all do my man.

Buying winter setup this weekend hopefully and installing this weekend if possible. Every morning I drive to work on boulders..sucks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hey guys I live in the the suburbs of Metro NY and I was wondering when everyone puts on there snow tires? Last year I put mine on December 29th because it was relatively warm late fall early winter. I was thinking of putting them on this week as the weather is going to be in the low 50's but next week is supposed to be back in the 60's and I would hate to have to drive like an old lady until April when I take them off. Thoughts?
I put mine on once the temp fell below what the tire manutacter said it would have less traction. Usually around 45 degrees or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
In the western part of the state we have some 60s with lows of 50s coming back. I'm waiting.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Here in Central PA, similarly to your area of NY, we will still have at least a few weeks until it's consistently cold enough to cause an issue with our stock tires. In the mornings it's too cold and they suck, but it still warms up above 45 every day. I would be willing to say by the 2nd week of November you should have your winter tires on to prevent issues with temperature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I may wait a week or two. We shall see how the weather plays out. I cheaped out 2 years ago and bought General Tire's Altimax Arctic and I really do not like how they handle. I should have bought the blizzaks which I had on my honda s2000 but thats what i get for trying to save money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have a separate set of rims for your snow tires, I'd wait until the first forecasted snow/ice. The stock goodyears aren't great in low temps, but until temps get into the 30s and lower or there's snow, you're kind of in purgatory of ****ty tires. Neither excels in late fall conditions.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I wait until I'm forced to.

Last year in Chicago, we got a ridiculous little snow storm in Mid November that forced me to swap over to the winters. Once that snow melted like 2 days later, we were dry and relatively warm until January.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Around now or next week. Also when I know I have the time and my work schedule permits me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wait until the day before snow forecasts or the day of if it's a late day snow. Winter tires wear quickly with the mileage I do, so I try to get as much use as possible from them.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
When low break into 30's and highs don't go over 60. OE tires very easily flat spot, just from sitting overnight. Ride quality goes wayyy up with squishy winter tires :) and tire noise, where before it gripped, now it screams.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I will wait for a significant amount is forecast. Live in Watertown, NY at the end of Tug Hill. We had some snow last night but the F1's were fine since it did not lay. I was surprised I did not have flat spots honestly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I caved in and swapped them out, then yesterday it was sleeting for 3 hours so good timing on my part. I see in the 5 day forecast highs in the upper 60's. Figures!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Don't drive it hard and you can easily get away with driving the summers in the 40's and 30's

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
If anyone is interested. I have two sets of stock rims for sale. Looking at $300 for both. One set is in great shape no scuff and the second is Scruggs up but great for a winter set up. Both have Tom's on them

·
Registered
817 Posts
Tpms stupid auto correct

1 - 19 of 19 Posts