Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please I’d love some proper advice other words pro advice on how to down shift rev match properly like a simple step by step of what others prefer to do

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please I’d love some proper advice other words pro advice on how to down shift rev match properly like a simple step by step of what others prefer to do
What I’ve been doing is engage clutch in 4th gear /switch into 3rd rev match 3 -4K depress clutch and add throttle although sometimes I wonder if I’m doing small power shifts becase of to much throttle after clutch release ?? :)

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
103 Posts
I was trying to teach my wife but I’m not the best teacher.
I found this guide to be the best imo

Rev Match Downshift

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bar none best video out there is Matt Farrah's on basics of driving a manual. Best part is, he uses his Focus RS in many of his videos - same transmission as the ST.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Look up team o'neil on youtube, they are a rally school. They have a few videos going over heal/toe, downshifting, revmatching. Some good information and in car videos. After you get a better understanding of the process, you just need practice. You can do that while driving spirited or even just on your daily commute, just keep working at it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much I have the downshift revmatch down pat at lower speeds now but I still struggle around 50mph 4th to 3 for some reason I get it perfect some times then others a lil over rev ?

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
103 Posts
Thank you all very much I have the downshift revmatch down pat at lower speeds now but I still struggle around 50mph 4th to 3 for some reason I get it perfect some times then others a lil over rev ?
Op, if you watch xTheMan42 linked video, you'll notice all his blips aren't always perfect either. Just keep practicing until it becomes 2nd nature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do same thing as when upshifting, push in clutch as I let off gas, then delay letting out clutch a bit when in new gear so revs go up higher as I give it gas so that revs match. Also, I don't downshift when stopping, only when slowing down. For stops, I just put it in neutral and brake to a stop. That's just personal preference, lot of people downshift through all the gears when stopping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts