Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Magnetic ST2,Cobb V3,FRPP cat back exhaust,1320 catted DP,Injen CAI,H&R springs
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys, first ST, first turbo car. Love it. I bought it with a FRPP package already installed. Which includes cone filter, catback exhaust and tune. I’ve just place a catted downpipe on it and a Cobb accessport. Saving for a FMIC. Do I need to download a custom tune for the DP and what’s already in place or just continue to run Cobb stage 1 until I buy a intercooler??

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
934 Posts
I wouldn't do anything else until you get an intercooler, honestly. The factory intercooler on our cars is pretty bad and heat-soaks in no time, so honestly I wouldn't bump up the tune at all until that was replaced. You mentioned the FRPP tune... somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but won't he need to have it flashed back to the factory tune prior to having a custom tune from JST/Edge/Monster/etc since they'll need a factory base map to start from?

Wait a sec....You mentioned "continue to run the Cobb stage 1", so are you tuned with the FRPP tune, or are you running the Cobb stage 1 tune? It's unclear from your post (at least to me).

ETA: Whoosh motorsports has the silver intercoolers in stock for $389, including shipping. Get 'em while they're in stock. Duece is always talking about these, so if they have his approval, then it's good stuff.
Whoosh silver FMIC

I have the ESP intercooler and it's worked out very well for me. They're also in stock and $399 shipped.
ESP intercooler

·
Registered
2015 Magnetic ST2,Cobb V3,FRPP cat back exhaust,1320 catted DP,Injen CAI,H&R springs
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't do anything else until you get an intercooler, honestly. The factory intercooler on our cars is pretty bad and heat-soaks in no time, so honestly I wouldn't bump up the tune at all until that was replaced. You mentioned the FRPP tune... somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but won't he need to have it flashed back to the factory tune prior to having a custom tune from JST/Edge/Monster/etc since they'll need a factory base map to start from?

Wait a sec....You mentioned "continue to run the Cobb stage 1", so are you tuned with the FRPP tune, or are you running the Cobb stage 1 tune? It's unclear from your post (at least to me).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it had a FRPP tune when I purchased. I bought a Cobb V3 and installed it using the stage 1 93 tune.

·
Registered
994 Posts

ETA: Whoosh motorsports has the silver intercoolers in stock for $389, including shipping. Get 'em while they're in stock. Duece is always talking about these, so if they have his approval, then it's good stuff.
Whoosh silver FMIC

I have the ESP intercooler and it's worked out very well for me. They're also in stock and $399 shipped.
ESP intercooler
You can flash over the FRPP tune with the AP, just save it as a backup.

Cobb has most of the FRPP ROM data for it to be recognized now.

OP, as mentioned, don't use anything besides Stage 1 until you get an Intercooler. Once you get that, you can go Stage 3 with the hardware you'll have.

Also, make sure you're running at least one step colder plugs and they're gapped to .026.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so FMIC is next. Whoosh looks good. So all I need is that and run stage 3 on the Cobb V3? Or do I need a custom tune for that set up?? Cobb said that I should NOT drive the car at all with a DP and no tune. Said I would cause engine failure??? I don’t get that....

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
934 Posts
You can flash over the FRPP tune with the AP, just save it as a backup.

Cobb has most of the FRPP ROM data for it to be recognized now.

OP, as mentioned, don't use anything besides Stage 1 until you get an Intercooler. Once you get that, you can go Stage 3 with the hardware you'll have.

Also, make sure you're running at least one step colder plugs and they're gapped to .026.
Learned something new today (flashing over FRPP with Cobb), so thank you. :)

Forgot about checking the plugs... yeah, you'll want to run a 1-step colder plug gapped at .026". Get a set of feeler gauges and not the little dial-looking, ramp-type thing to check gap. Those things aren't that accurate and you want to be .026" +- .001" if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
934 Posts
Okay, so FMIC is next. Whoosh looks good. So all I need is that and run stage 3 on the Cobb V3? Or do I need a custom tune for that set up?? Cobb said that I should NOT drive the car at all with a DP and no tune. Said I would cause engine failure??? I don’t get that....
So you can run with stage 3 parts, including a catted DP, on the stock tune with no problems. You may need a J-style defouler if the catted DP isn't a sufficient cell count to make much of a difference in the rear O2's sensor readings, but I ran stage 3 parts on the stock tune (including a catted DP) for over a year before I was finally tuned by JST with no issues whatsoever. Heck, my car came with a catted 3" DP when I bought it used at 7K miles, and I wasn't tuned at all until 26K miles. At that point I ran the Cobb stage 3-91 octane for a few weeks until I got tuned by JST. The torque targeting software of the factory tune will decrease your max boost as it makes power more efficiently with the mods you add, but it won't cause problems. You likely will notice an increase in mileage as it runs more efficiently, though... I know I did... but once I was tuned that went back down to around 30.5 as I keep my foot in it more. :)

ETA: I think @TurboGT has stage 3 parts and factory tune as well, but I'm not sure of his mileage.

Reactions: 21DAFUL and TurboGT

·
2,425 Posts
Yeah i run stage 3 hardware for quite some time on the stock tune. The downpipe was the last piece, and thats been on for several thousand miles.

Reactions: 21DAFUL and rob99rt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!!! Any suggestions on what brand plugs to use?? I’ll pick those up today.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Whoosh silver FMIC

ESP intercooler
There are a lot of intercoolers on the market for our cars, so if you have the ability to get the opinion of someone like Duece who has seem many of them, and installed several different ones- I'd ask him for his opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,594 Posts
Thanks guys!!! Any suggestions on what brand plugs to use?? I’ll pick those up today.
NGK Ruthenium- NGK- 95605- LTR7BHX

Good price at Rock Auto

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t understand why Cobb would tell me Im going to damage or have engine failure without a tune while running a DP. I get it... I installed it backwards with a DP first. How in the hell would I damage my engine by running a 200 cell DP on the stage 1 93 tune? Is it Cobb just covering their ass?

·
2,425 Posts
@21DAFUL more than likely they are.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
934 Posts

Good price at Rock Auto
Yep, been running these in the Escape and Focus ST since last August. That reminds me.. need to check the gap on the plugs since they've got about 10K on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Good price at Rock Auto
Do these plugs make a big dif in performance or balance with my set up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would say get a custom tune. The tuner is going to be able to account for all that you have done plus you will be able to data log and send them the data to tune in the power even better. You really don't want to run the cobb tune if you don't need to. The custom tune is going to be worth every penny you spend ~$200-300

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last question for the day. Is the average charge air temp run around 88 when running a consistent 60mph and a little over 104 when throttle is applied? That about normal? The only reason I ask this is that before the DP install it would stay around 65 cruising and never over 94?????

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
934 Posts
That's normal-ish with the factory intercooler if your ambient temps are in the 60's or so, probably. Charge air temps are directly related to your ambient. The higher the ambient, the higher your charge temps. FWIW, I'd see my charge temps go up to 70 above ambient on a long pull with the factory unit, so 80 degrees ambient yielded 150+ charge temps. Once I got the ESP unit, I didn't ever see more than 4 or 5 degrees above ambient the entire length of a 3rd gear pull. It makes a huge difference in how cool and dense the air is going into the cylinders, and how much timing can be added since it won't be as knock-prone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts