Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so flame me all you want about how this is already a thread or how it is in the wrong section. But anyways, I have a 2016 St that wont shift into 5th and 6th. It happened when i was cruising 50mph and upshifted to 5th. There was a quiet "clank" noise that came from the engine bay and the car would no longer go anywhere near 5th and 6th. Me, being an impromptu mechanic, decided to tear the car apart tonight and I found a few things. Im going to do the best I can to describe what I found but I might be bad at it, so I included two, portrait, very low quality, videos that show it. The first link is a video from inside the car with the linkage hooked up. The second video is me trying to explain my problem from inside the engine bay.

In the cabin, with the shift boot off, I couldn't find anything broken off or wrong with the stock shifter. I looked with a mirror and a flashlight all around. Couldn't find anything.
Video here

In the engine bay with the intake removed, I popped of the linkage sockets and the linkage arm that controls the side-to-side motion of the shifter will not go in the direction needed to shift into 5th or 6th. The arm hits something in the case of the trans and makes a metallic click. There is 4 bolts attaching on the plate that holds the arms, if I pull that will I mess up seals? What is under that plate? Is it the shift mechanism or the actual gears?
Video Here

I am no expert on manual transmissions by any means. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im really not trying to spend $3k on a new trans.

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
This is my first post, so flame me all you want about how this is already a thread or how it is in the wrong section. But anyways, I have a 2016 St that wont shift into 5th and 6th. It happened when i was cruising 50mph and upshifted to 5th. There was a quiet "clank" noise that came from the engine bay and the car would no longer go anywhere near 5th and 6th. Me, being an impromptu mechanic, decided to tear the car apart tonight and I found a few things. Im going to do the best I can to describe what I found but I might be bad at it, so I included two, portrait, very low quality, videos that show it. The first link is a video from inside the car with the linkage hooked up. The second video is me trying to explain my problem from inside the engine bay.

In the cabin, with the shift boot off, I couldn't find anything broken off or wrong with the stock shifter. I looked with a mirror and a flashlight all around. Couldn't find anything.
Video here

In the engine bay with the intake removed, I popped of the linkage sockets and the linkage arm that controls the side-to-side motion of the shifter will not go in the direction needed to shift into 5th or 6th. The arm hits something in the case of the trans and makes a metallic click. There is 4 bolts attaching on the plate that holds the arms, if I pull that will I mess up seals? What is under that plate? Is it the shift mechanism or the actual gears?
Video Here

I am no expert on manual transmissions by any means. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im really not trying to spend $3k on a new trans.
Well, normally its a physical blockage, like an acorn or this dumb yellow plastic clip that prevents movement.

In your videos though, it seems to be internal. Pulling the bolts and the shift tower is just gasket sealer there. Trans needs to be in neutral for pulling, and reinstalling the shift tower.

If it is internal, its probably the 5/6 shift fork, missing tips most likely. Do you have issues with reverse?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, normally its a physical blockage, like an acorn or this dumb yellow plastic clip that prevents movement.

In your videos though, it seems to be internal. Pulling the bolts and the shift tower is just gasket sealer there. Trans needs to be in neutral for pulling, and reinstalling the shift tower.

If it is internal, its probably the 5/6 shift fork, missing tips most likely. Do you have issues with reverse?
Is the 5/6 shift fork something that can be replaced without pulling the trans? I do have issues going into reverse occasionally with reverse engaging when it is cold out. To get around the issue i let the car heat up and shift to 1-2-3-4 then back to reverse and it goes in no problem. I took off the short throw plate and the issues have seemed to go away. I forgot to mention, my car only has 20,000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
Is the 5/6 shift fork something that can be replaced without pulling the trans? I do have issues going into reverse occasionally with reverse engaging when it is cold out. To get around the issue i let the car heat up and shift to 1-2-3-4 then back to reverse and it goes in no problem. I took off the short throw plate and the issues have seemed to go away. I forgot to mention, my car only has 20,000 miles on it.
So how modded is the car and are you under warranty still?

Yeah, you would have to pull and split the trans to both confirm, and repair any internal damage.

You checked super thoroughly for ANY foreign debris around the trans correct? It seems like you did, but with the time and money on the line, it's worth another check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how modded is the car and are you under warranty still?

Yeah, you would have to pull and split the trans to both confirm, and repair any internal damage.

You checked super thoroughly for ANY foreign debris around the trans correct? It seems like you did, but with the time and money on the line, it's worth another check.
I just did another round of checks and found nothing. I just passed the 3yr/36,000 mark this January. I believe this should be covered under the 5yr/50,000 powertrain warranty. Speaking of mods, I have FRPP tune, Intercooler, CAI, cat-back, RS brakes, mountune lowering springs, shift plate (removed), snorkel, and shift knob. Im sure i'm leaving out a few mods. I am planning to RTS (return to stock) intercooler, intake, and shifter mods. That will only take a good part of a day, no big deal. When I pulled the shift plate off I was extra careful to not leave pry marks. To my eyes, you cant tell the plate was ever there. Are Ford dealers sticklers about denying warranty coverage for a tranny on a car with a cat-back and lowering springs?

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
I just did another round of checks and found nothing. I just passed the 3yr/36,000 mark this January. I believe this should be covered under the 5yr/50,000 powertrain warranty. Speaking of mods, I have FRPP tune, Intercooler, CAI, cat-back, RS brakes, mountune lowering springs, shift plate (removed), snorkel, and shift knob. Im sure i'm leaving out a few mods. I am planning to RTS (return to stock) intercooler, intake, and shifter mods. That will only take a good part of a day, no big deal. When I pulled the shift plate off I was extra careful to not leave pry marks. To my eyes, you cant tell the plate was ever there. Are Ford dealers sticklers about denying warranty coverage for a tranny on a car with a cat-back and lowering springs?
Its powertrain covered. The only part they should care about is the shifter mods. Then again, you'll get different responses and denials one dealership to another. So it really depends on the dealership.

Taking it in is the best course of action, when did you get the frpp? Are you on their 3/36 warranty now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its powertrain covered. The only part they should care about is the shifter mods. Then again, you'll get different responses and denials one dealership to another. So it really depends on the dealership.

Taking it in is the best course of action, when did you get the FRPP? Are you on their 3/36 warranty now?
Ill cal my local ford dealerships in the morning. I had the FRPP for around 2.5 years now. No complaints or issues with it. I believe my 3/36 expired when I surpassed 3 years of ownership, which was in January.

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
Ill cal my local ford dealerships in the morning. I had the FRPP for around 2.5 years now. No complaints or issues with it. I believe my 3/36 expired when I surpassed 3 years of ownership, which was in January.
Yeah, give them a call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts