Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had motor blow on my 2013 ST1 focus ST. The transmission was having some weird issues that we think was just bad shift linkage but with the motor needing a rebuild and the car having 130k miles we are selling it. I got an offer from a service manager at Ford and he told me it was only worth 1500-2000. Paints not in top notch condition but interior is great. Just need help on what I should be asking for the car

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well.. new motor needed along with an estimated transmission.. id say he is around 500-100 short.

Truthfully, find a non dealer and find a junkyard motor to get slapped in there. Have pics of the car and the supposedly "not top notch paint"

·
Registered
381 Posts
A new motor and transmission is expensive. The dealership will not eat those costs and needs to factor in the price to replace those in it's offer. A 2013 ST1 with your mileage has a trade in value of 6k in "Good" condition, and yours needs a new motor. 1-2k is probably all you are going to get from it in it's current condition.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A new motor and transmission is expensive. The dealership will not eat those costs and needs to factor in the price to replace those in it's offer. A 2013 ST1 with your mileage has a trade in value of 6k in "Good" condition, and yours needs a new motor. 1-2k is probably all you are going to get from it in it's current condition.
I'd concur.....you just aren't going to drop in a new engine and possibly transmission, it will be an expensive proposition from a labor standpoint. Your car is basically used up for practical purposes.....ask them for $2.5k but settle for $2k, and then move on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd concur.....you just aren't going to drop in a new engine and possibly transmission, it will be an expensive proposition from a labor standpoint. Your car is basically used up for practical purposes.....ask them for $2.5k but settle for $2k, and then move on.
The shop its at who knows their stuff found a wrecked ST and said it'd be 25 hours of labor, so 2500 plus the motor and tranny cost. said itd be about 4500. And 4500 into it still would only be worth like 8g - bought it 5 and a half months ago for 11650 rip dads wallet. wasnt even my fault

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
well, dropping another 4500 into it and having a good working car that should last you a few years, would probably be better than taking a 10k loss after less than 6mo.

also, if you can spend $4500 and it be worth 8k, $3500 is a lot better than $1500.

but honestly at this point, you're probably not going to be able to get out of this and not take a huge loss. even if its not your fault, its usually a pretty clear indicator that if the paint is beat up and the engine and trans is toast, then the car was not treated too nicely over the few years its had on this earth. on top of that, at 130k miles, unless they have been recently taken care of, that is usually the point where a lot of wear items start needing to be replaced such as shocks, bushing, and anything with rubber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, dropping another 4500 into it and having a good working car that should last you a few years, would probably be better than taking a 10k loss after less than 6mo.

also, if you can spend $4500 and it be worth 8k, $3500 is a lot better than $1500.

but honestly at this point, you're probably not going to be able to get out of this and not take a huge loss. even if its not your fault, its usually a pretty clear indicator that if the paint is beat up and the engine and trans is toast, then the car was not treated too nicely over the few years its had on this earth. on top of that, at 130k miles, unless they have been recently taken care of, that is usually the point where a lot of wear items start needing to be replaced such as shocks, bushing, and anything with rubber.
I didn't buy the car in the best condition. I personally didn't want the car with it being wrong wheel drive. I never enjoyed it even after modding it. My dad thought it was a good deal and would last, I just wanted a 240, Miata, Lightning, or a Silverado 1500

1 - 9 of 9 Posts