Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I have decided to adopt a puppy, and it occurred to me that I should prep the ST for her arrival. Any advice on what to buy for the car? I want the dog to be as safe as possible driving around with me (people drive like idiots on the highways around DC), so any advice on how y'all harness a dog in, keep the dog from destroying the interior and so on would be appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My girlfriend and I have decided to adopt a puppy, and it occurred to me that I should prep the ST for her arrival. Any advice on what to buy for the car? I want the dog to be as safe as possible driving around with me (people drive like idiots on the highways around DC), so any advice on how y'all harness a dog in, keep the dog from destroying the interior and so on would be appreciated!
First off congrats on adopting a new pup and good look with all that goes along with a new puppy. My girlfriend and I picked up a few things that really helped out. I linked items that are very similar to give you and idea of the route that we went.

We picked up a seat cover that similar to this one. Was great if we wanted to have her in the back seat. Don't have to worry about dirt, water etc. Easy to move in and out of the car when needed. Also very easy to clean when the time comes.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/kurgo-heather-hammock-gray-dog-car-seat-cover

We use this along with the seat cover. Works well to keep the dog in one location. Also good because it easy to move from seat to seat or car to car.
https://www.chewy.com/ezydog-click-...u3IfR8Q9vYClVk_Qb7gaAtMTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We had also picked something like this up, but it ended up not being the best fit for us. The version that we bought did not do a great job of staying on the hooks in the back seat, which defeats the purpose. I'd imagine it could work but in my experience wasn't worth the time or effort to get it to stay as intended.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/solvit-pup-zip-zipline-dog-seat-belt

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the amazon basics seat cover in my corolla, works great, cost $20, and everytime she throws up I just hose it off and give it a quick scrub with dawn. No puking dog in my focus though lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
I find that dogs are great destroyers of door panels, particularly the armrests, as they want to look out or hang their heads out the window, as well as damaging of the center consoles as they want to be perched on the armrest to be closer to the owners in the front seats. I don't know how you'd protect against their claws in those cases unless you keep the pet rather tightly strapped down in the back seat which is something it likely won't be happy with.
This is just a personal opinion: I like dogs very much but I don't like them in cars for the above reasons unless maybe you have an old beater. I have a nice scratch in the center console in my Dakota pickup due to a friend's dog and I got that on the only time I've ever allowed a dog in the truck, which is otherwise in great shape inside and out, so there you go. Again, not whining against dogs, just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
My dog rode in the hatch. I took the hatch cover out when the dog was going and covered the back of the rear seat and floor with a sheet and put her bed in there. It was perfect size for the dog and the dog could look out the rear window and look over the rear seat. I have seen hatch kits for dogs out there

·
Registered
233 Posts
My dog rode in the hatch. I took the hatch cover out when the dog was going and covered the back of the rear seat and floor with a sheet and put her bed in there. It was perfect size for the dog and the dog could look out the rear window and look over the rear seat. I have seen hatch kits for dogs out there

You know, that's not a bad idea, especially if you can rig up something to keep the dog safe from sliding around, some sort of tether maybe.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Congrats! While I haven't let my husky into the ST yet, this is what we use in my girlfriend's car:
1) this seat cover: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HI762M8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_iAIQzb8DMNA9W. Very nice fit and stays put with a grippy underside and tabs that can tuck into the seat cushions. Easy to wash and thick fabric that resists the dog's nails. Hammock style prevents the pup from climbing over the center console into the front and also keeps them from falling into the footwells.

2) these door panel covers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEB7FOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZCIQzb0AVPPP3. Can Velcro to the door panel or it has a tab that can stick into the window slot. Keeps their paws from scratching the door panels which is obviously nice.

3) this seat belt leash: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W40TSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JEIQzbHQ42SR8. We clip this to our pup's harness so she stays put. Leave enough slack so she can move from one side to the other but not enough to climb forward or to keep her from flying if we were to get in an accident.

When I finally let her ride in the ST, I might consider using the same. The other option I am considering is having her ride in the hatch and using these items to protect the interior:

1) cargo area pet cover: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZODPAFI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XHIQzbPD55XDC

2) pet gate for Focus hatch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HDXJ44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jJIQzb3KNDJYB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I have two English bulldogs thst I put in the back. the male sheds a lot so some of the things I've done. I have a husky mat for the hatch. I then took one of the dog kennel dividers and cut a row off plus a bend to match the seat. bungee cord around head rests keeps it in place. then I have a treat a pet mat that I put in. one thing is this helps cover the bumper for loading. I still have to figure out what to do with the side panels as they are hair Velcro.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I simply put down a beach towel over the back seat. My German Shepherd loves riding in the car. She sheds much so I have given up on keeping dog hair out of the car. Just spent 4.5 hours detailing the car today inside and out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've got a Basset Hound and a German Shepard that often go for a ride with me. I just keep a large black moving blanket in the back and when its time to load up the circus, I just flip up the rear seat bottoms (it blocks them from easily jumping into the front seats) and leave the rear part of the seats up. then lay out the blanket over everything, the blanket is large enough to where it can be tucked over the top of the seat bottoms and then tuck up under the head rest so that they dont slip down and stay in place. once a month or so i pull out the blanket and throw it in the washer. when it was just the Hound the car would stay extremely clean, but the German sheds so bad there is still hair just blowing around in the air and landing on stuff.

now if I just had something to lay over the outside so the drool doesn't get every where

IMG_20170730_175514.jpg

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I have no animals to put in the car except other people. No smoking, drinking, or eating in the car; this rule has held up since 2013-present. If someone is drunk in my car I treat them like a dog, expecting barf or piss any moment so I put down seat covers. Also Amazon sells waterproof door panel covers that Velcro right on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank y'all for all of the suggestions! Here is the puppy (Lab/Doberman mix? Best guesses are welcome haha) and she's already puked in the car - luckily on a towel - will report back with how she does at cars & coffee in a few weeks.

1460.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I have two English bulldogs thst I put in the back. the male sheds a lot so some of the things I've done. I have a husky mat for the hatch. I then took one of the dog kennel dividers and cut a row off plus a bend to match the seat. bungee cord around head rests keeps it in place. then I have a treat a pet mat that I put in. one thing is this helps cover the bumper for loading. I still have to figure out what to do with the side panels as they are hair Velcro.

Here is an in car shot. That is Boomer saying, hey I want up front.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I'm a fellow idiot driver in the DC area. I have two dogs that I take around. Below are some pics of what I use in my car. The seat cover comes with a clip that can attach to a dog harness and seat belt. Here it is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4OQQSJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since you have a puppy though, I'd recommend a dog carrier that can be secured. A puppy will be all over the place if they aren't kept secure. A carrier will also make cleanups from inevitable accidents easier.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Prepare for hair everywhere!:big smile:

I don't really cruise around with the dog, but I do load her into the back to take her to the dog park. I probably vacuum the car 3 times a week....put the windows down and you will have hair up on the dash and everywhere in between (I've even had to vacuum some hair off of the headliner). We also have 3 cats, so it is nearly impossible to keep the pet hair off of your clothes, which then sticks to the seats when you get in (sometimes wish I had the full leather).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts