Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys any feedback will help as I'm sitting on my parts (literally). In my closet I currently have a catless dp by 1320 and a huge box containing my agency power 3" tri-tip titanium cat back exhaust system. I'm currently running stage one on my ap with just a cpe cai and boomba bov. However cobb said I cannot install the dp with their software which I now know but I can install the exhaust and remain stage 1. Obviously my purpose was more power & stage 2, do I need to scrap the dp and grab an intercooler? Or go to freektune or stratified? And if I go custom map how do they get my data logs considering the dp and exhaust cannot b installed on my stage 1. Do I flash the oem map? Like I said any help would b greatly appreciated. These parts are just sitting and its KILLING me! Thanx, Adin

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
I would not scrap the down pipe, but I would definitely get an inter cooler, the factory piece is garbage. I would also go with a custom tune. You can install all of those aftermarket parts (plus the inter cooler for stage 3) and flash back to the factory tune which will just compensate for them; you will not see any H.P. gains. Then go with an aftermarket tuner for a custom tune. Or, you can go to Cobb's web site and down load the stage 2 or 3 tune (which ever is applicable to the parts you install) and run it, which I don't recommend. A custom tune is preferable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ddfred, thanx a bunch bro. Yeah I'm just treading water right now to b honest. I just want to tune property due to the horror stories I've read of engines/turbo issues occurring after improper modifications done without doing the research. So go back to stock install my parts plus intercooler then hook up with stratified or freektune if I'm not mistaken correct? Also I'm in Florida and I've talked to a few guys in person who stated tht freektune knows the focus st well. Do you have any feedback on which company may be a better experience? Again bro, thank you so much. I'm in love with my st and don't want to do something stupid!

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
Hey ddfred, thanx a bunch bro. Yeah I'm just treading water right now to b honest. I just want to tune property due to the horror stories I've read of engines/turbo issues occurring after improper modifications done without doing the research. So go back to stock install my parts plus intercooler then hook up with stratified or freektune if I'm not mistaken correct? Also I'm in Florida and I've talked to a few guys in person who stated tht freektune knows the focus st well. Do you have any feedback on which company may be a better experience? Again bro, thank you so much. I'm in love with my st and don't want to do something stupid!
Going back to stock, installing the parts and then getting a custom tune is the route I would take; the factory tune will compensate for the aftermarket parts so you will see no gains there, but it will be safe to drive. As far as which tuner to use, as a moderator I don't feel right about recommending one over another. Others here will probably speak up; in the mean time here is a link to a useful thread.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

Edit: you will need a defouler for the o2 sensor or the catless downpipe will trigger a cel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just get a tune for the mods either will give you a safe base flash tune for all your mods, Strat gives you the option to fully dial it in from there or purchase, extra revisions. Either gives you the extra capabilities of Cobbs tuning software.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I had Stratified and now I am Freektuned. I was happy with Stratified and they offer alot of options to tailor the driving experience for your needs. Truthfully the major reason I switched is that Justin is only about an hour and a half north of me in NH and I can have him personally dial in my car on the Dyno. I'm scheduled for 2/5! You know the day after the Patriots win their sixth Super Bowl :wink:

You should be very happy with either company!

·
Registered
651 Posts
You'll be happy either route you take as far as tuning. What I would do is get an FMIC asap and bolt it up, order a tune, and be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts