Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title states, ran at the local strip last night. Had a difficult time either controlling wheel spin or I was just straight bogging. No middle ground. Highest speed I trapped was 111 but was in the mid 14s. Last run of the night yielded a 13.78 but still held back with a 60ft time of 2.4+.
I tried lowering my tire pressure to 25 in the front. I also tried using Cobb traction control on a few runs. On my 13.78 run, I was using Cobb traction control with the slip modifier set to 7.
I was pulling better 60 ft times on my stock turbo now I cant seem to get it down.

Advice? I was launching and slipping the clutch at around 4k. It would blow up first gear and spin all the way through second.

Tires are Pilot Super Sports. I have upgraded the rear and passenger side mounts, and have all the supporting mods that are required for a GTX swap for reference.
Vehicle Car Car seat Family car

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
As the title states, ran at the local strip last night. Had a difficult time either controlling wheel spin or I was just straight bogging. No middle ground. Highest speed I trapped was 111 but was in the mid 14s. Last run of the night yielded a 13.78 but still held back with a 60ft time of 2.4+.
I tried lowering my tire pressure to 25 in the front. I also tried using Cobb traction control on a few runs. On my 13.78 run, I was using Cobb traction control with the slip modifier set to 7.
I was pulling better 60 ft times on my stock turbo now I cant seem to get it down.

Advice? I was launching and slipping the clutch at around 4k. It would blow up first gear and spin all the way through second.

Tires are Pilot Super Sports. I have upgraded the rear and passenger side mounts, and have all the supporting mods that are required for a GTX swap for reference.
View attachment 250073
Using street tires your issue might be launching too high an RPM. On slicks and stuff people launch from 4-5k but with PSS tires with a big turbo 4k is too much unless you let out more air maybe..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using street tires your issue might be launching too high an RPM. On slicks and stuff people launch from 4-5k but with PSS tires with a big turbo 4k is too much unless you let out more air maybe..
4k launch was a recommendation of a local big turbo ST owner who use to run on street tires. I plan on going back Friday night and trying again but just wanted some different things to try.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
4k launch was a recommendation of a local big turbo ST owner who use to run on street tires. I plan on going back Friday night and trying again but just wanted some different things to try.
Just to see the results try slightly lower to see how it feels. Also play a little more with the PSI of the tires and see what that does? Are you slipping the clutch a little too fast maybe? It definitely sounds like spinning in the beginning is the issue for sure because your trap speed doesn't appear to be one that would show issues with power down the strip

Edit: If you got your 60' to 2 seconds you would have a 12.58 second car or so...so I mean it's all about the launch at this point. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable drag racers on the forum will chime in today at some point

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to see the results try slightly lower to see how it feels. Also play a little more with the PSI of the tires and see what that does? Are you slipping the clutch a little too fast maybe? It definitely sounds like spinning in the beginning is the issue for sure because your trap speed doesn't appear to be one that would show issues with power down the strip

Edit: If you got your 60' to 2 seconds you would have a 12.58 second car or so...so I mean it's all about the launch at this point. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable drag racers on the forum will chime in today at some point
I could be slipping too fast. I'm not too sure. More seat time will probably help I guess as well.
My first time at the strip ever in my life was last year. I went 3 times before my turbo swap in the winter.
This was my first time this year racing on the 400+whp monster that I have slapped together. I was talking to my wife in the stands over Bluetooth and it was a kick in the nuts each time I ripped off a 14 second pass.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I could be slipping too fast. I'm not too sure. More seat time will probably help I guess as well.
My first time at the strip ever in my life was last year. I went 3 times before my turbo swap in the winter.
This was my first time this year racing on the 400+whp monster that I have slapped together. I was talking to my wife in the stands over Bluetooth and it was a kick in the nuts each time I ripped off a 14 second pass.
I understand how that would be frustrating to beef your car up to a 400hp beast and put down average non-bt times. That's all it is, seat time. Absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of. It's like anything else such as riding a motorcycle or even driving the stock turbo ST, takes time. If anything, you can be relieved that you have an excuse. Now easy to launch our car to begin with..let alone with 400hp and a big turbo on street tires.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I was able to get 2.1 60's with my 235/40/18 PSS I think at 20psi. I kept modulating the throttle to bounce between 2.5-3k while waiting for the tree, and eased into the throttle while slipping the clutch some. I got some wheel hop, but hooked well.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was able to get 2.1 60's with my 235/40/18 PSS I think at 20psi. I kept modulating the throttle to bounce between 2.5-3k while waiting for the tree, and eased into the throttle while slipping the clutch some. I got some wheel hop, but hooked well.

Thank you for this video. I will be watching this several times over!!!

EDIT: Your reaction is priceless.
Outside of that it seems as if you hooked in second. Currently I am spinning through first and second gear. Are you WOT or are you at like 75% throttle when powering through first and second?

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
100% in first and second.

Maybe track prep is also a problem.

And the reaction was because it was just my second run ever with this car. Lol

Reactions: InsertCleverName

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
100% in first and second.

Maybe track prep is also a problem.

And the reaction was because it was just my second run ever with this car. Lol
Interesting. I have heard that New England Dragway's prep isn't as good as it could be. I will try again tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Pilot Sports, Triple 8's, etc are not substitutes for slicks or drag radials.

There is one bright spot here. If you can get your car to hook on street tires adding more traction will keep lowering your 60 foot time.

1) Lower tire pressure. The problem with street radials is no matter how low you drop the tire pressure the side wall won't flex/winkle. 5-10 psi from max is fine you have much bigger problems.

2) Launch RPM. It's fine to use other people's data as a starting point, but without knowing exactly what he/she is doing or what's been done with the car it's only a data point. Experiment.

3) Throttle input/Clutch Release

If you have the Cobb AP and TC enabled you must practice with it. Too much TC will limit momentum/hurt acceleration. You want to strike a balance.

There is way more you can do but start there.

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
463 Posts
Running a mid 14 at 111mph.... you may as well not launch the car, drive normally, put it in 3rd and floor it. Might net a high 13 even. :D

You definitely need the driver mod, which mostly comes from practice. Pull all the "Traction Control" out of the access port, and learn to drive your car at the limits of traction in many situations and street conditions. Don't powershift 2nd if you just spin through second. Until you learn the limits of the track and you tires, shift a little slower with your foot coming off the gas. Let the turbo's spool fall off. Shift quickly, and roll back into the throttle. Shocking the tires on the 1-2 shift by matting the gas and powershifting is going to murder ANY traction you could have been working with. Drive it like a grandma, then get more aggressive as you grow in confidence. Your times will improve steadily as you learn to maximize what the car and track has available to use.

I can't give any cred about launching my stocker ST, but I ran a [email protected] with 195/50/15 Bridgestones S-04's on my "big turbo" [email protected] 1.6L DOHC VTEC Civic Si back in the day int he one time I actually got it out to the track. :doh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts