Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRAPPP!

I snapped the piece circled in red, called Ford real quick and they stated the cable comes as a whole assembly, does anyone know if there is another option besides replacing the whole cable? Does that endlink separate from the cable and can I buy a replacement?

shifter.jpg

·
Administrator
12,245 Posts
CRAPPP!

I snapped the piece circled in red, called Ford real quick and they stated the cable comes as a whole assembly, does anyone know if there is another option besides replacing the whole cable? Does that endlink separate from the cable and can I buy a replacement?

View attachment 263970
I believe it unscrews. Make sure to count the turns it takes to remove it, you will want to attach the new one identically. I would use some loc-tite as well.

You will have to buy the whole assembly, unless a member here has one available.

@johnboysavage

How the hell did you break it? There is a specific way to remove those cable ends, I suggest you re-assess your methods and tools.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I believe it unscrews. Make sure to count the turns it takes to remove it, you will want to attach the new one identically. I would use some loc-tite as well.

You will have to buy the whole assembly, unless a member here has one available.

@johnboysavage

How the hell did you break it? There is a specific way to remove those cable ends, I suggest you re-assess your methods and tools.
Unfortunately when my cable snapped, I was so pissed by the time I got the broken cable out I just mangled it into a ball and chucked it in the trash. I wish you the best of luck replacing the cable. I don't wish that on my worst enemy! If you get stuck feel free to contact me as I've also replaced that entire cable recently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,245 Posts
Unfortunately when my cable snapped, I was so pissed by the time I got the broken cable out I just mangled it into a ball and chucked it in the trash. I wish you the best of luck replacing the cable. I don't wish that on my worst enemy! If you get stuck feel free to contact me as I've also replaced that entire cable recently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lmao, I had a feeling you did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I broke it because I overtightened the replacement solid bushing and it seized onto the ball connection, must have pried wrong.

For now I am attempting to JB Weld (the plastic bond stuff) to see if that will fix it. Honestly it might be stronger after the repair, that plastic there is SO THIN.

I undid the adjuster slider thing so I could look and see if it comes off, it looks like it would but isnt super obvious how... I think I will pick up a replacment cable and see if I can detach the end, if not it is also in the low 100's here and there is no way in hell I am doing the repair, I will suck it up and pay the shop on this one...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK if you pull the adjuster clip all the way off that black end pc just slides right out WHEWWWW I will repair it for now but will get a new cable and swap that end, WHEW!

·
Registered
414 Posts

@johnboysavage

This is incorrect. There is a button on the end link you push in to remove it just slides off. They are adjustable with that mechanism. Also, lock tite melts thermoplastic, so keep it away from plastic.

·
Administrator
12,245 Posts
This is incorrect. There is a button on the end link you push in to remove it just slides off. They are adjustable with that mechanism. Also, lock tite melts thermoplastic, so keep it away from plastic.
Gotcha on the cable end.

They make plastic safe loc-tite. Its one of their many formulas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts