Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just bought my first Focus ST been looking at them for years. Drove 6 miles off the lot and the transmission just gave out. Car started doing 7000 rpm with my foot off the gas and the clutch in and in 6th gear doing 30mph. Then the clutch got stuck to the floor. Car wouldn't go into gear. Two things to note that this is a new 2018 and head 39 miles on it when it started. Finally got it to go into gear and then the car would not move. Driven stick for years and never have had this happen in my life. Anyone hear of this issue before and have any idea what could have happened.

Dealer said they would tow it for free and fix it but would you all ask for a whole new car or just go with a fixed one.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep you all posted. This is the first I have heard of it as well. I used to work for ford and have never seen one do this ever.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. Still want to welcome you to the forum

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Interesting, I think it is too early to say whether or not you need a new replacement ST.

I would wait to see what the dealer says was the issue.

Kerp the chat posted in the results.

And Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would wait and see. There are so many things that could go wrong in shipping. See what the issue is and then determine if you want a different ST.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry had a busy weekend but they towed the car Saturday and said it was the weirdest thing they have ever seen. One of the mechanics said it could be a number of things from computer chips to clutch to transmission. Either way it won't get torn apart and looked at until today. Other thing to note is that the car was on the showroom floor and who know how many people messed around inside it. They also said that if it is the transmission or clutch that it would have to be sent back to ford to see what went wrong and could be weeks until a new one transmission/clutch shows up. Hopefully they throw in a roush exhaust lol fingers crossed

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmm those are really strange issues, and some bad luck. Kind of sounds electrical but if the clutch got stuck to the floor maybe not?? Strange one.

Unfortunately with new cars, it happens. Hopefully the dealership treats you right! The FoST is an awesome little car!

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sounds like more than one problem to me. Inability to select a gear can be a simple problem with the shift cables. They have been known to get jammed up by debris. But the sticking clutch and throttle pedals is wired - those are two completely separate systems. You don't happen to wear clown shoes, do you? :)

In all seriousness, I would give them 2 or 3 days to diagnose it. If they don't have a solid answer and timeline to getting it back on he road, I would ask them to replace it with a new car. Assuming they refuse (likely!) do the following. Open a case with Ford customer service - the 800 number is in your owners manual. Ask them to make any car payments until it is out of the shop. Research your state lemon law, find out what constitutes a lemon and how you trigger the process. Usually it's 30 days in the shop in the first year (or two). If you need a new transmission, the wait for parts will likely be longer than that. Ask for the car to be replaced again - they may as well buy it back if it's an automatic lemon. If they don't do it, retain an attorney that specializes in lemon cases. There is no out of pocket cost to you, the manufacturer pays you attorney costs as part of the settlement.

The way I look at it, they have sold you a $25k paperweight. They owe you a functioning car or your money back, and in the next 30 days.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The way I look at it, they have sold you a $25k paperweight. They owe you a functioning car or your money back, and in the next 30 days.
A VERY heavy paperweight lol, would take a real strong wind to blow any papers out from underneath that one :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will have to look at the law here in Ohio. But heavy paperweight indeed. I called today with no update but like what was said they said it could be a few days. I will have to call ford and hopefully they will help out. I did us my x-plan on the car so hopefully they help out someone with employee pricing( well friend and family). Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did to get my sisters 13 focus new auto transmission in. 2 years and ford finally got it fixed and admitted there was a problem lol.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I will have to look at the law here in Ohio. But heavy paperweight indeed. I called today with no update but like what was said they said it could be a few days. I will have to call ford and hopefully they will help out. I did us my x-plan on the car so hopefully they help out someone with employee pricing( well friend and family). Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did to get my sisters 13 focus new auto transmission in. 2 years and ford finally got it fixed and admitted there was a problem lol.
Don't let them play games with you. Being nice, but stern gets you much further than just being nice or just making demands. I'd be upset. Sh!t happens and that's fine. What's not fine is you have a brand new car with a broken tranny and the car is revving up to redline before break-in. Definitely call Ford, don't sit on that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well finally got word that it was a bad master slave cylinder that was stopping the car from going into gear. It only took a week and 3 techs to get it figured out. they said they found no other damage but heres fingers crossed they did their job. Been on the phone with them trying to light a fire under their rear. Like i said good thing i wasn't on the highway when this happened

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Well finally got word that it was a bad master slave cylinder that was stopping the car from going into gear. It only took a week and 3 techs to get it figured out. they said they found no other damage but heres fingers crossed they did their job. Been on the phone with them trying to light a fire under their rear. Like i said good thing i wasn't on the highway when this happened
Hopefully thats it and the car is all good. If you dont mind me asking, what dealership was this at?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bought a used manual transmission car in 2001, and had the same failure after 13 miles.

My guess here is the it failed in the 'disengaged' clutch position and the engine did a little revving.

Document the crap out of all of this just in case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts