Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Focus ST3 that I bought cheap last year with 145k miles. It now has 157k miles and has been using a lot of oil ever since I bought the car. It has the ford racing tune, filter, step colder spark plugs and exhaust and that's it. It's been tuned ever since roughly 25k miles and is still on the original clutch. When I get into full boost you can see black smoke out the exhaust. If I drive it slow, and don't get into boost, it loses about a quart every 1,000 miles if I get into boost it loses a lot more than that. I did a compression test soon after I bought the car and it was 1-149, 2-140, 3-145 and cylinder 4 was 145. Anyone has any ideas what could be going on? Does not have a catch can and there's always oil residue on the hood insulation and on top of the intake tube like it's blowing out somewhere. No check engine lights or engine knocks. Thanks in Advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
If it's making black smoke, it's not burning oil, that's fuel. If you are on the Ford tune you should be running two steps colder plugs, at least that was what Ford sold with the package.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's making black smoke, it's not burning oil, that's fuel. If you are on the Ford tune you should be running two steps colder plugs, at least that was what Ford sold with the package.
I do believe that it is two steps colder. I don't think I've changed the plugs since I bought it. I should probably do that though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just wondering where it's losing all that oil? It also seems pretty slow with the ford tune. My 2015 felt like it had more torque when it was stock. The compression didn't look that bad. I really want to be able to sort this out so I can run an E30 tune. That would be fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It blows a ton of black smoke, it almost looks like it's a diesel.

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
I do believe that it is two steps colder. I don't think I've changed the plugs since I bought it. I should probably do that though
It blows a ton of black smoke, it almost looks like it's a diesel.
I'd check the plugs; they could be fouled.

Reactions: Shoot27

·
Registered
658 Posts
sounds like you may have more than one problem, for the oil residue on the hood check the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube, its on the back of the intake tube near the firewall.

How long has it been burning oil for? There are alot of ways you can burn oil, through the PCV systems, from worn rings, bad valve seals....the list goes on. You need to eliminate all these variables, your compression looks good so you don't have a hole in a piston, which is good.

Are you sure you arent leaking oil?

This doesn't explain the black smoke, as @ddfred said , black smoke is from a mixture that is too rich, so either too much fuel or too little air. I'm not sure what could be causing that tbh....

Best of luck with this, I've been chasing an oil burning problem on an e39 bmw for a very long time. At some point you just accept it as a "feature" of your car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
All STs get black "smoke" (carbon/suit) - is this casually coming out all the time, or only when you are hitting throttle/boost hard? What type of oil are you using - the 5W-30 spec, correct? No other mods like a CFM breather, correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All STs get black "smoke" (carbon/suit) - is this casually coming out all the time, or only when you are hitting throttle/boost hard? What type of oil are you using - the 5W-30 spec, correct? No other mods like a CFM breather, correct?
It looks like a diesel when I go full boost which is around 23 psi on the Ford Racing tune. Otherwise, I don't see it with just normal driving.Yes, I'm using Mobil 1 5w-30 with no breather mods.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
It looks like a diesel when I go full boost which is around 23 psi on the Ford Racing tune. Otherwise, I don't see it with just normal driving.Yes, I'm using Mobil 1 5w-30 with no breather mods.
Does it do this every single time or does it slowly start to go away as the car warms up? This sounds completely normal, but if it keeps doing it every time you must be running incredibly rich. It is almost certainly a fuel issue, not your oil. My 2014 through out a puff of black smoke almost every time I'd give it the beans since it was catless and ran a tad rich at times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it do this every single time or does it slowly start to go away as the car warms up? This sounds completely normal, but if it keeps doing it every time you must be running incredibly rich. It is almost certainly a fuel issue, not your oil. My 2014 through out a puff of black smoke almost every time I'd give it the beans since it was catless and ran a tad rich at times.

I think it does it every time regardless if its warm or cold. I can see it a lot better on cloudy days or if there is a white car behind me. It only does it on WOT. Is the Ford Racing tune that rich?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
I think it does it every time regardless if its warm or cold. I can see it a lot better on cloudy days or if there is a white car behind me. It only does it on WOT. Is the Ford Racing tune that rich?
One way to find out is if you have an Accessport you can enable the AFR Actual gauge and see what it is at as you floor it. If it stays around 11 its perfect, if it crosses over into 12.5 or higher its becoming lean, and if it is down in the 10.xx range it is pretty rich. If you see 9.xx (which I would even see every now and then on my Stratified tune) then it's super rich and will smoke a lot lol.

That will vary from car to car and depending on mods, so I can't say the Ford Performance Tune is always rich. Could just need adjusted for your car, or you just have to live with it and clean soot off your rear bumper often

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus ST3 that I bought cheap last year with 145k miles. It now has 157k miles and has been using a lot of oil ever since I bought the car. It has the ford racing tune, filter, step colder spark plugs and exhaust and that's it. It's been tuned ever since roughly 25k miles and is still on the original clutch. When I get into full boost you can see black smoke out the exhaust. If I drive it slow, and don't get into boost, it loses about a quart every 1,000 miles if I get into boost it loses a lot more than that. I did a compression test soon after I bought the car and it was 1-149, 2-140, 3-145 and cylinder 4 was 145. Anyone has any ideas what could be going on? Does not have a catch can and there's always oil residue on the hood insulation and on top of the intake tube like it's blowing out somewhere. No check engine lights or engine knocks. Thanks in Advance!
Cheack your spark plug and air filter when My spark plug and air filter was finish my exhaust would do this. After I changed those it fix my exhaust had normal smoke and my gas went from 11.5L /100km to 8.2L/100km Again thats 18mpg to 24mpg. If your air filter is done put green filter and for spark plug NGK step colder also make sure right gaped mine is gaped at 0.31 I belive but Im stock so its deffrent

·
Registered
687 Posts
One way to find out is if you have an Accessport you can enable the AFR Actual gauge and see what it is at as you floor it. If it stays around 11 its perfect, if it crosses over into 12.5 or higher its becoming lean, and if it is down in the 10.xx range it is pretty rich. If you see 9.xx (which I would even see every now and then on my Stratified tune) then it's super rich and will smoke a lot lol.

That will vary from car to car and depending on mods, so I can't say the Ford Performance Tune is always rich. Could just need adjusted for your car, or you just have to live with it and clean soot off your rear bumper often

Yeah, but if he does that, it won't be FRPP anymore.

I do know when I used FRPP, I got the same thing occasionally, but I kept an eye on my plugs and gap and changed them out.

FRPP does seem to run rich, and it murders plug gap.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,144 Posts
Yeah, but if he does that, it won't be FRPP anymore.

I do know when I used FRPP, I got the same thing occasionally, but I kept an eye on my plugs and gap and changed them out.

FRPP does seem to run rich, and it murders plug gap.
I'm convinced the Focus ST in general murders plugs...I just started checking and regapping every oil change because it was always off. Replaced them once a year as a precaution and they usually looked like it needed it which is crazy since other vehicles of mine have gone 5 years on the same plugs before lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Definitely change the plugs out first.

Have you tried flashing back to stock for a bit to see how it does ? Also you should check the turbo piping (hot and cold sides) for if you can for any signs of leaks and to see where its coming from. This will tell you if the leak is coming from motor or turbo.

·
Registered
601 Posts
sounds like you may have more than one problem, for the oil residue on the hood check the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube, its on the back of the intake tube near the firewall.

How long has it been burning oil for? There are alot of ways you can burn oil, through the PCV systems, from worn rings, bad valve seals....the list goes on. You need to eliminate all these variables, your compression looks good so you don't have a hole in a piston, which is good.

Are you sure you arent leaking oil?

This doesn't explain the black smoke, as @ddfred said , black smoke is from a mixture that is too rich, so either too much fuel or too little air. I'm not sure what could be causing that tbh....

Best of luck with this, I've been chasing an oil burning problem on an e39 bmw for a very long time. At some point you just accept it as a "feature" of your car.
I owned an E39 for 9 years, and sold it (a 2003 525iT sport package car). LOVED that thing, but it was headed into my museum (garage) where my most loved cars go to become weekend cars, and really, I needed a daily driver, and I was out of space and I couldn't stomach piling miles on that perfect, low-mileage car. Which E39 do you have (the 6 cylinder or the 8?). The 6's can leak from several places (the valve cover gaskets, the oil filter housing, the oil cooler lines are all common points of leakage). If it's consuming oil and not leaking it out of the engine, the CCV is a common culprit. Rear main seal leaks are not common, but not unheard of. As you may or may not know- the cooling system is the Achilles heel of that engine, and often, owners (if they are regular non-car enthusiasts) will drive them until the cooling system fails (between 90 and 100kmi) and they'll blow the head gasket. Often the car is not worth repairing, so the car is scrapped, but sometimes those are repaired (some better than others).

·
Registered
658 Posts
I owned an E39 for 9 years, and sold it (a 2003 525iT sport package car). LOVED that thing, but it was headed into my museum (garage) where my most loved cars go to become weekend cars, and really, I needed a daily driver, and I was out of space and I couldn't stomach piling miles on that perfect, low-mileage car. Which E39 do you have (the 6 cylinder or the 8?). The 6's can leak from several places (the valve cover gaskets, the oil filter housing, the oil cooler lines are all common points of leakage). If it's consuming oil and not leaking it out of the engine, the CCV is a common culprit. Rear main seal leaks are not common, but not unheard of. As you may or may not know- the cooling system is the Achilles heel of that engine, and often, owners (if they are regular non-car enthusiasts) will drive them until the cooling system fails (between 90 and 100kmi) and they'll blow the head gasket. Often the car is not worth repairing, so the car is scrapped, but sometimes those are repaired (some better than others).
It’s an 03’ 530i so it has the ring failure defect. I did the CCV, valvecover gasket, DISA, cleaned injectors changed o2 sensors etc. I’m pretty sure it’s either rings or valve seals both of which are hard to do.

The 3.0 has different rings than the 2.8, the fix for the issue is to rebuild the motor with rings from a 2.8, but it’s just not worth it on such a tired car.

It’s seeping from the rear main as well but I know is burning because of blue smoke.

It’s also got a rich code that me my brothers, my dad, and a mechanic can’t really figure out.

It’s a pile lmao l, but I love it, like driving around a bank vault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
I used mine as a daily (and like I said- that car was really, really nice) and sold it knowing that it was still a sought-after car. I sold it for more than I bought it for 9 years later... With the exception of some of the decisions to use FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) in the engine bay, most aspects of that generation 5 Series is overbuilt and over engineered. The access door to the fuse panel is an engineered piece, with a real carpeted door, a spring-loaded latch and precise tolerances. My new Focus ST on the other hand uses a piece of foam panel to hide the fuse panel... I know- they are totally different cars, built for different markets and different purposes, and the 5 Series cost $44k back in 2003 ($62k in today's money)- but going from one to the other really shows the drastic differences between those design philosophies. An absolute bank vault. I feel like crying a little when I see one in a junkyard.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I used mine as a daily (and like I said- that car was really, really nice) and sold it knowing that it was still a sought-after car. I sold it for more than I bought it for 9 years later... With the exception of some of the decisions to use FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) in the engine bay, most aspects of that generation 5 Series is overbuilt and over engineered. The access door to the fuse panel is an engineered piece, with a real carpeted door, a spring-loaded latch and precise tolerances. My new Focus ST on the other hand uses a piece of foam panel to hide the fuse panel... I know- they are totally different cars, built for different markets and different purposes, and the 5 Series cost $44k back in 2003 ($62k in today's money)- but going from one to the other really shows the drastic differences between those design philosophies. An absolute bank vault. I feel like crying a little when I see one in a junkyard.
back when BMW actually made the "ultimate driving machine" and not SUVs for rich moms to drive to the country club with :cry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts