Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Full stage 3
-Have not added any mods in over 15 months
-Drove to work yesterday and have never had an issue starting/dying, etc.
-Tried to start it after lunch and it would not start
-Battery tested good and is only 1 year old, also tried a brand new battery
-Codes show above pop up
-39K miles , 2016.5 Manufacture date
-
-Starter Relay is good, no other blown fuses
-could it be my PCM?
-I’m leaning toward starter/starter solenoid only because it has power but only clicks once when I try to start it. And obviously the P06E9 code, but before I just buy one I want to make sure it isn’t the pcm’s fault.
-stationed overseas so the dealership route is more difficult
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I have combed forums/ web pages and haven’t seen anything like it.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts

Start here before replacing parts. Remove intake and battery box and clean all the grounds down there too. Clean the large ground on the trans as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Start here before replacing parts. Remove intake and battery box and clean all the grounds down there too. Clean the large ground on the trans as well.
Yea, I was following your thread and started on two of them. I can knock the others out tomorrow. Do you think this would just happen after 4+ years with no signs before hand? Thanks for the response!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts
Yea, I was following your thread and started on two of them. I can knock the others out tomorrow. Do you think this would just happen after 4+ years with no signs before hand? Thanks for the response!
Yes. I just fixed my freinds 2010 chevy 2500 for a bad ground (g103 on the right cylinder head) this ground is the crucial one for the PCM as well as connection from engine to battery on that truck. He pulled into a freinds place, shut it off, went to move it and it wouldn't even crank. PCM went offline, just like that. I found there was high resistance on that ground after some troubleshooting, cleaned it up, and voila, communication restored and truck started again.

Point is, stuff like this can show symptoms out of the blue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my grounding points are all good now, but before I did that I tried to bump start it again. I got it to start long enough to move it to a different location as I monitored the battery. Turns out it is the alternator as the battery lost charge. How can I know before taking it to someone that it is the alternator and not a signal from the pcm? It’s just weird to me to have an alternator go bad with zero signs before hand and only 39K miles.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
855 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No idea how it happened, but I got the car back today and after further diagnostics the mechanic found that my “Main Fuse Starter / Alternator - 150 amp, Ford # CV6Z-1526-A” had blown. Replaced it and so far it’s as good as new. I still have no clue how it would blow after attempting to start it or while the car was off 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 7 of 7 Posts