Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain how to pick the right speakers to someone who's not an audio guy? I had Infinity Primus spkrs in my last car with a JBL GTO-5EZ amp. Sounded good but now I've got a new car and will be installing that amp and my 8" JL sub in the car and need to choose a new set of door speakers. I want a little more volume and better sound quality than before. So I'm looking at the Infinity Kappas or Reference lines. These new speakers have similar specs but where the Primus and Reference lines are 3ohm the Kappas are 2ohm. I looked at the amp specs and it says it puts out 500W RMS in a 4chan 2ohm configuration. All 3 have a sensitivity of 93db, but the new ones I'm looking at have a 90db rms rating where the primus's are 88. Also the more expensive Kappas have a freq range of 45-35000hz vs 53-21000hz for the other 2. So am I correct in thinking that the higher 90db rating will provide more volume? And as the amp power ratings are based on 2ohm speakers, that's what will give me the best sound? Also does the greater freq range of the Kappa speakers mean that I'll get a better sound? Will running a 3ohm speaker on an amp designed for 2ohm damage anything? I'd appreciate any help answering these questions, I know there's some very good audio guys in here. Thanks

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've never personally liked any of the Inifinity speakers. But good sound is subjective! You need to pick what your ears like.

Sensitivity means that given the same power between two sets of speakers, the speaker with the higher value, will be more efficient in turning electrical current into volume. Thus louder. It's not a really important value IMO, as you have a pretty decent amp. But sticking at 90db and higher is not a bad place to start.

The ohms ratings, mean nothing. Pure marketing crap.

Brands that I have used and liked are CDT, Morel, and Focal.

I'd say pick your budget, find a seller local to your area, and see if you can listen to them in the store. Then see if they will price match, or just buy online.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There's so many specs it makes it hard to compare them unless you know how each value plays into everything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are going to power the speakers using an amplifier, I wouldn't pay too much attention to sensitivity, just match the speaker to the amp. No need to look at speakers that are rated for 250W if you're only pushing 50W.

Butyl rubber surrounds and edge driven silk dome tweeters were the "thing" 20 years ago, and looking at Crutchfield, it seems to still be.

Normal range of hearing is 20-20k Hertz, so anything higher or lower is of no added value.

I've always found Infinity speakers to be a bit harsh, the Reference series anyway.

I'd focus on a nice pair of components for the front, and a pair of 2-ways for the rear.

Try to hit up a local audio shop and listen to some for yourself, specs are one thing, but nothing is like hearing them in person.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The ohms ratings, mean nothing. Pure marketing crap.
they really are lower impedance speakers, so with most amps making more power the lower the impedance, they do tend to be louder off the same amp as most other brands. I also don't like to recommend them for car stereos that are very load sensitive. I have had a couple of times now where newer jeeps had some issues after installing JBL speakers (another Harmon group that uses the same 2-3 ohm drivers as infinity) where if you play it loud enough long enough, the radio would start breaking up and cutting out. never had this problem with a 4 ohm speaker, and those same jeeps performed well after changing them out to something else.

I also strongly recommend going into a couple of your local shops and listen to when they offer first hand. what sounds good to me might not sound good to you. I also urge people to take some if their own music in for the demo, stuff you know well and have listened to a lot. you will get a better idea of what exactly you are looking for.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the info. I'll try to get into a shop and listen to a few. But compared to my old Infinity Primus speakers is there any spec I should pay particular attention too? I guess the max rms value would be one for sure, anything else?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I'll try to get into a shop and listen to a few. But compared to my old Infinity Primus speakers is there any spec I should pay particular attention too? I guess the max rms value would be one for sure, anything else?
Other than power handling to match your amps capabilities, no the specs mean very little in terms of how they actually sound. Its 80% install and 20% the actual system components.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other than power handling to match your amps capabilities, no the specs mean very little in terms of how they actually sound. Its 80% install and 20% the actual system components.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Other than power handling to match your amps capabilities, no the specs mean very little in terms of how they actually sound.
extremely accurate.

specs cant quantify the quality of materials and or of the design. any time I've ever choose a speaker it was after hearing it then I look up the power requirements and pick the correct amp for them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
extremely accurate.

specs cant quantify the quality of materials and or of the design. any time I've ever choose a speaker it was after hearing it then I look up the power requirements and pick the correct amp for them.
So by power requirements you mean the RMS W rating? Example if I have 4 door speakers rated for 50W RMS and a sub I'd need a 5chan amp that will put out 50W RMS in a 4 chan setup and the 5th chan powers the sub. Correct?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hertz....

Even their low cost components beat the pants off many so-call "reference" speakers.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I do really like how hertz sound, give them the right amount of power and they sound wonderful.

just did a couple pair (high energy's components and coaxials) off of a JL XD 6ch, active set up, and a 3.Sixty.3 in an Azera last week and it sounded like a choir of angels.

IMG_20170817_110659.jpg
IMG_20170819_175437.jpg
IMG_20170818_180110.jpg

If I didn't already have a couple pair of Kicker QS's sitting around from a previous build, no question, hertz would be what I would get for the ST

1 - 14 of 14 Posts