Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know its not an ST but I was trying to bleed the brakes on a friend's 2012 Chevy Cruze with a Motive pressure bleeder over the weekend. I bought the pressure bleeder new last week and it's my first time using it. I pressurized the reservoir to 15 PSI and it held steady, then I opened the bleeder screws but was only able to get maybe 6 ounces of fluid out of each caliper before it stopped flowing. Same thing happened on all 4 calipers. I got fed up with it and resorted to pumping the brake pedal with a friend and everything went fine from there.
What's going on? Am I missing something? Now I'm afraid of using the power bleeder again on my ST because I feel like it didn't work and it introduced a bunch of air into the system. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to make sure to put enough fluid into the container. I usually dump and entire bottle in.

Sent from another garage.
I added a 32oz bottle and then after some trying I added a 2nd one. That's 2 large bottles in the motive bleeder so that can't be the issue...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I can think of is if there was an obstruction in the line somewhere but that doesn't seem likely since it's only a 5 year old car and it was hard to get flow on all 4 calipers. However, the front ones did flow a little bit better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure the line doesn't get kinked. I did noticed with the cowl in place it pushed down on the hose. I took a roll of painters tape and push the cowl up.

Sent from another garage.
I used the bleeder on a chevy cruze where the reservoir is completely exposed and there were no kinks in the line... idk I'll try it again on a different car and see if the results vary.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used the bleeder on a chevy cruze where the reservoir is completely exposed and there were no kinks in the line... idk I'll try it again on a different car and see if the results vary.
Disclaimer: Totally shooting in the dark here. Have never used one of these power bleeders.

What were you draining into? Was it a sealed container or atmospheric pressure (an open container with the drain hose in the air, not buried in fluid)? If the pressure at the end of the drain hose builds (in a sealed container) it will stop flow if the pressure at the outlet of the drain line approaches your reservoir pressure (~+15psi). Make sure the outlet is at atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also, not sure if this is a pump style bleeder or powered (electric, plugged in), but if it's pump-style you likely have to re-pressurize the reservoir back to 15psi as it bleeds off that original 15psi of reservoir pressure. Once that original pressure bleeds down and approaches atmospheric, flow will stop because nothing is replacing the lost volume in the bleeder tank (if it's sealed tight).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disclaimer: Totally shooting in the dark here. Have never used one of these power bleeders.

What were you draining into? Was it a sealed container or atmospheric pressure (an open container with the drain hose in the air, not buried in fluid)? If the pressure at the end of the drain hose builds (in a sealed container) it will stop flow if the pressure at the outlet of the drain line approaches your reservoir pressure (~+15psi). Make sure the outlet is at atmosphere.

That's actually a pretty good thought there... I made a drain bottle with a vent hole in it so idk. you're making me wonder whether it was big enough...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, not sure if this is a pump style bleeder or powered (electric, plugged in), but if it's pump-style you likely have to re-pressurize the reservoir back to 15psi as it bleeds off that original 15psi of reservoir pressure. Once that original pressure bleeds down and approaches atmospheric, flow will stop because nothing is replacing the lost volume in the bleeder tank (if it's sealed tight).

was using a pump style bleeder, it never lost pressure.... that's the thing, the fluid never drained but the reservoir and bottle were always pressurized above 10psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts