Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First I wanted to say hello to everyone. Great forum here, been visiting for awhile and real excited to finally start participating.

I just recently picked up a Focus ST (OW '13). First mod for me is the pedal spacer. I've been researching what to get, and its surprising how expensive a block of metal can be! So I'm reaching out to the FoST enthusiasts to get some ideas. Looking for a moderate sized one (3/4" - 1"), and the option to move the pedal laterally (close to the brake pedal)

Initially, I wanted to get a 3D printed spacer. I found 2 that work. However, I'm a bit confused on the design. There are two holes for the top and 2 for the bottom connecting to the pedal. I would imagine the first would be to bolt down the spacer in place, and the second would have another bolt that connects to the pedal? Or would it just be one long bolt that goes through the spacer and connects to the pedal? Is the second hold for those who want to adjust the pedal laterally?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2592939
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789102
If I chose to get a 3D printed one, do I need to print any more nuts or bolts?

An alternative was to go to a local Home Depot/Lowes and cut up a block of wood and drill the holes through with the right measurements. Has anybody done that? Anybody know the measurements?
And if I do go this route, how can I design one that allows me to adjust the pedal laterally?

All thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hi everyone,

First I wanted to say hello to everyone. Great forum here, been visiting for awhile and real excited to finally start participating.

I just recently picked up a Focus ST (OW '13). First mod for me is the pedal spacer. I've been researching what to get, and its surprising how expensive a block of metal can be! So I'm reaching out to the FoST enthusiasts to get some ideas. Looking for a moderate sized one (3/4" - 1"), and the option to move the pedal laterally (close to the brake pedal)

Initially, I wanted to get a 3D printed spacer. I found 2 that work. However, I'm a bit confused on the design. There are two holes for the top and 2 for the bottom connecting to the pedal. I would imagine the first would be to bolt down the spacer in place, and the second would have another bolt that connects to the pedal? Or would it just be one long bolt that goes through the spacer and connects to the pedal? Is the second hold for those who want to adjust the pedal laterally?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2592939
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789102
If I chose to get a 3D printed one, do I need to print any more nuts or bolts?

An alternative was to go to a local Home Depot/Lowes and cut up a block of wood and drill the holes through with the right measurements. Has anybody done that? Anybody know the measurements?
And if I do go this route, how can I design one that allows me to adjust the pedal laterally?

All thoughts appreciated! Thanks.
For thin enough spacers, you can use the same bolts and just place the spacer below the pedal assemble and nut it back on. For thick ones and especially ones that can be adjusted laterally, they'll will have to have longer/second set of bolts. While 3D printed spacers wouldn't be a problem due to their resistance to compress, it would never try to use a 3D printed nut or bolt as they won't be very strong at all. Especially for such a critic part. It also wouldn't trust a spacer made of wood for long term durability. You could have a problem with moisture or the spacer getting wet if you live in a climate that it rains or snows a lot in.

If i was getting one, metal is the only thing I would trust for such an important part. 3D printed ones could be OK, but it all comes down to how well it was drawn up and how well it was printed. Personally I've seen too many failed printed parts to trust it for such an important part.

You can also get a good idea of how they install by watching some videos on YouTube of install instructions

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, @1LoudST.

I understand how it works now. To use the same bolts, do you know the thickness of the spacer? As in, would a 1" spacer require bolt extenders?

I agree you definitely don't want to break the pedal spacer, but I would imagine there won't be that much force applied onto the spacer itself right? What are your thoughts on that?

I'll rule out using wood. The moisture and degrading issue seems valid.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Thanks, @1LoudST.

I understand how it works now. To use the same bolts, do you know the thickness of the spacer? As in, would a 1" spacer require bolt extenders?

I agree you definitely don't want to break the pedal spacer, but I would imagine there won't be that much force applied onto the spacer itself right? What are your thoughts on that?

I'll rule out using wood. The moisture and degrading issue seems valid.
If you go down and look at the pedal, you can see how much extra thread there is, it's not much so any spacer anywhere near 1" would need to have recessed areas for the nuts to get down to, and would require another set of bolts to mount the pedal assemble to the spacer.

The force in the spacer would be compressing the spacer, not a big deal. it's the pulling force on the bolts that would be of any concern

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts