Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just installed the downpipe and cat back. Man the thing sounds mean, low rumble at low rpm really opens up at wot with very little drone to boot, definitely one of the best sounding exhaust I've ever gotten.

Thing is, in my country, law enforcement is )[email protected]?-$-$+|}§£]<°«<℃}§}«<℃.........

Anyone knows anyway I can lower the sound output without sacrificing performance? I really need to lower the sound down to avoid attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Any help would be great. Hope Cobb can chime in with some input as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Cobb stage 3 package
Cobb short shift bracket 40%
Cobb rear motor mount

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You could pretend you are deaf.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You will have to stick in extra or bigger resonator somewhere. We used to use magnaflow perforated resonator on our camaro when it used to be loud and raspy when using headers/cb and it worked wonders. The idea is all the same. That's why OEM has that big ol tank in the middle..lol. I want to do DP and exhaust for my first mod but I been reluctant doing the exhaust for this same reason. I like it to be audible but not LOUD or raspy. More on the quiet side would be nice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will have to stick in extra or bigger resonator somewhere. We used to use magnaflow perforated resonator on our camaro when it used to be loud and raspy when using headers/cb and it worked wonders. The idea is all the same. That's why OEM has that big ol tank in the middle..lol. I want to do DP and exhaust for my first mod but I been reluctant doing the exhaust for this same reason. I like it to be audible but not LOUD or raspy. More on the quiet side would be nice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Hi streetz, I hear you, but won't adding a resonator increase the back pressure? Will that mean I'll have to get a custom tune ?

Cobb stage 3 package
Cobb short shift bracket 40%
Cobb rear motor mount

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too am looking for a way to quiet down my Cobb Exhaust....Thinking about trying to find a large straight through type muffler to go where the stock muffler went.....

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I too am looking for a way to quiet down my Cobb Exhaust....Thinking about trying to find a large straight through type muffler to go where the stock muffler went.....

Any ideas??
Ford Racing Axle Back...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Hi streetz, I hear you, but won't adding a resonator increase the back pressure? Will that mean I'll have to get a custom tune ?
Adding a straight-through resonator will do little to hurt performance, especially on a 3" setup.

·
1,976 Posts
Cobb exhaust too loud wow, I am still shocked when I see these kind of posts. I have the Cobb TB on my ST and it is by far the most quiet exhaust system on any car I have ever owned. But as already mentioned you will need to add in a resonator or two and it will make it even quieter. But for it to be as quiet as the stock exhaust I doubt that will ever be the case.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Cobb in between the Milltek and the CPe exhausts. Milltek is QUIET and only after you hit around 5k do you hear a european putter/whine (that's what i think it sounds like). You hear the CPe's rich, deep grumble at around 3k. We're working on compiling a video with both the milltek and CPe exhausts. Shot on weds so hopefully we'll have it out soon.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Cobb exhaust too loud wow, I am still shocked when I see these kind of posts. I have the Cobb TB on my ST and it is by far the most quiet exhaust system on any car I have ever owned. But as already mentioned you will need to add in a resonator or two and it will make it even quieter. But for it to be as quiet as the stock exhaust I doubt that will ever be the case.
Remember, the OP has a downpipe too which increases the volume more than just the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Cobb in between the Milltek and the CPe exhausts. Milltek is QUIET and only after you hit around 5k do you hear a european putter/whine (that's what i think it sounds like). You hear the CPe's rich, deep grumble at around 3k. We're working on compiling a video with both the milltek and CPe exhausts. Shot on weds so hopefully we'll have it out soon.
Why does everyone say the milltek is so quiet even when non resonated. No one posts in cabin video because the outside is so loud. If being exponentially louder than stock is quiet to you then I'm sure I want to know what you think is loud. Lol. Maybe the double resonated milltek is quite but the world may never know.

·
1,976 Posts
Remember, the OP has a downpipe too which increases the volume more than just the exhaust.
I will take it you aren't awake yet today lol, it's all good. But I stated I have the Cobb TB (turbo back), so I have the full exhaust system. It isn't loud to me at all, but i'm use to driving around in race cars I guess.

·
Banned
211 Posts
You can also put the stock exhaust back on keeping the downpipe portion modded sell the rest. I doubt with being on the stock turbo the exhaust is restricting.

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between opinion and fact?

When I bought my Cobb CB, EVERYONE said it's not loud.
Unanimous without a variance in opinion.
After purchase, I found my 'opinion' differed from the dozen posted.
It might be a case of 'dittoism' or people just supporting their purchase blindly....
Similar to those who continue to post "Cobb CB does not help performance", who are wrong without evidence or even having experienced one.

I have had about 5 a/m CB's and the Cobb is probably the most aggressive re:noise and NVH.

The Cobb 3" CB is a beautiful high quality piece that will have more resale value than any CB out there, but it adds a significant amount of NVH, sound and rumble.
I could pull the Cobb CB off and sell it for 600+ in 3 days.
After a few thousand miles, I love the thing and feel it definitely helps performance(many argue otherwise)....

But if you want a stealth car or a very moderate increase in volume, avoid the 3" systems

Maybe the new FSWerks Stealth 3" system will be quieter....

So, OP, don't destroy your Cobb system.
Pull it off and sell it and use a different system. 2.5" or a Stealth system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone know the difference between opinion and fact?

When I bought my Cobb CB, EVERYONE said it's not loud.
Unanimous without a variance in opinion.
After purchase, I found my 'opinion' differed from the dozen posted.
It might be a case of 'dittoism' or people just supporting their purchase blindly....
Similar to those who continue to post "Cobb CB does not help performance", they are wrong without evidence or even having experienced one.

I have had about 5 a/m CB's and the Cobb is probably the most aggressive re:noise and NVH.

The Cobb 3" CB is a beautiful high quality piece that will have more resale value than any CB out there, but it adds a significant amount of NVH, sound and rumble.
After a few thousand miles, I love the thing and feel it definitely helps performance(many argue otherwise)....

But if you want a stealth car or a very moderate increase in volume, avoid the 3" systems

Maybe the new FSWerks Stealth 3" system will be quieter....
I agree fully.

Has anybody seen a side entry center outlet(like stock) straight through muffler??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts