Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm not having good day. Was driving home from school and car started misfiring significantly and it got bad enough I called a towtruck to bring it to local shop I take my stuff too.
Was puffing some black smoke when I pulled over. Changed plugs and everything and it was still happening on cylinder 4. No knock or negative ignition correction. Ran compression test it was fine in 1-3 but 4 only made 30psi then 62 after putting oil inside the cylinder. We think it has a bad valve but before I spend 2000ish dollars Im posting on here. Car has 128k miles so I'm far out of warranty. I bought it at 119k miles. Only mods are short shifter, CAI, Statified flash tune for stage 1. I've ran 93oct since I got it. Here is a video of the exhaust noise.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have never herd of the focus having problems with the valves but hey there is always a first for some things. An easy way to inspect the valves is to remove the intake manifold and you would be able to take a peek. It is probably a piston that went seems to be the most of our troubles, take a 21mm socket and have someone turn the motor over and start there that will cost you nothing. If you already did a compression test and the results were as you said looks to me like you had a cylinder that went dead which is most of the problems that we have had . Still want to get a little deeper into diagnosis with out breaking the bank take it to someone and have them to an actual cylinder leak down test and that will tell you more you should be able to hear the air escaping through where if there is a place. It is probably going to be ringland failure like the majority of us have had. From there look into getting another motor, I have a built 2.0 for sale if interested but for someone with minimal mods your best bet would probably to go on ebay and pick up a used one from an escape or fusion and just swap over the parts like the cps, manifold, oil cooler, belt tensioner; just because the one on the fusion keep a little more tension than I would like. Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have never herd of the focus having problems with the valves but hey there is always a first for some things. An easy way to inspect the valves is to remove the intake manifold and you would be able to take a peek. It is probably a piston that went seems to be the most of our troubles, take a 21mm socket and have someone turn the motor over and start there that will cost you nothing. If you already did a compression test and the results were as you said looks to me like you had a cylinder that went dead which is most of the problems that we have had . Still want to get a little deeper into diagnosis with out breaking the bank take it to someone and have them to an actual cylinder leak down test and that will tell you more you should be able to hear the air escaping through where if there is a place. It is probably going to be ringland failure like the majority of us have had. From there look into getting another motor, I have a built 2.0 for sale if interested but for someone with minimal mods your best bet would probably to go on ebay and pick up a used one from an escape or fusion and just swap over the parts like the cps, manifold, oil cooler, belt tensioner; just because the one on the fusion keep a little more tension than I would like. Let us know what you come up with.
It's at a shop right now so I don't really control what they do I don't think. I could ask them to check though the intake manifold but wouldn't that still take a ton of time? But Ill go by the shop or call tomorrow and see if they'll do a leak down test never even heard what that is though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I thought I blew a ring land or something in one of my Subarus and I tore it down to find it was just a $16 exhaust valve that melted and there was no other detectable damage. At that point, I had already swapped the engine with one I had rebuilt in my kitchen, when I could have just popped the right side head off. Oh well. Hopefully, it's something similarly as simple for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I blew a ring land or something in one of my Subarus and I tore it down to find it was just a $16 exhaust valve that melted and there was no other detectable damage. At that point, I had already swapped the engine with one I had rebuilt in my kitchen, when I could have just popped the right side head off. Oh well. Hopefully, it's something similarly as simple for you.
I hope so man! Sad thing is I also have a super weird transmission problem that is even more confusing than this motor issue.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey everyone I'm not having good day. Was driving home from school and car started misfiring significantly and it got bad enough I called a towtruck to bring it to local shop I take my stuff too.
Was puffing some black smoke when I pulled over. Changed plugs and everything and it was still happening on cylinder 4. No knock or negative ignition correction. Ran compression test it was fine in 1-3 but 4 only made 30psi then 62 after putting oil inside the cylinder. We think it has a bad valve but before I spend 2000ish dollars Im posting on here. Car has 128k miles so I'm far out of warranty. I bought it at 119k miles. Only mods are short shifter, CAI, Statified flash tune for stage 1. I've ran 93oct since I got it. Here is a video of the exhaust noise.
. Was there oil on any of the spark plugs?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
That dont sound like a valve, if it is your still going to need a piston in 4 at least. This is a interference motor. Borescope don't assume anything.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Could Ben anything but My money's on ring lands. It's just the way it goes on these motors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any Updates my St was making the same noise and blowing grey smoke, it's at ford now so far they say 4th cylinder loss compression, and denied my warranty due to colder plugs and other mods. I know it's an old thread but would like a follow up

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any Updates my St was making the same noise and blowing grey smoke, it's at ford now so far they say 4th cylinder loss compression, and denied my warranty due to colder plugs and other mods. I know it's an old thread but would like a follow up
You likely blew a ringland, as is also likely for the OP. Running a tune with no IC is a bad choice on this car.

Buy a new motor and just pay to have it put in. Or do it yourself.

Explain how it started happening, mods, tune, etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts