Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 ST 20k miles, Cobb AP. Just installed the depo intercooler. Install was a ***** of a pain, but got it done. Took it for a test drive and its not driving well at all! The only active code is the "lost comm with active grill shudder". I noticed that it is running really lean and misfiring like crazy. Any ideas before I tear it back apart???

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
2015 ST 20k miles, Cobb AP. Just installed the depo intercooler. Install was a ***** of a pain, but got it done. Took it for a test drive and its not driving well at all! The only active code is the "lost comm with active grill shudder". I noticed that it is running really lean and misfiring like crazy. Any ideas before I tear it back apart???
Did you forget to plug anything back in? Like the MAF sensor or anything?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm confounded. Pretty sure I've got everything buttoned up properly. If I forgot to hook up the map sensor then I would get a CEL code I imagine.

I'm running a stage 1 custom Panda tune. I didn't flash anything different after the install. I didn't think it would have made any difference at all??? Possibly a little more pressure drop across the larger core???

I'll try resetting the KAM and flashing a new tune. But I don't see that being the fix. I really don't want to tear this thing apart again.

It started right up and idled a bit low, but not bad. It would rev up just fine to around 3k rpm, but as soon as I put any load on it it freaks out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, that was really messed up. I flashed an OTS 91 Cobb tune and reset the KAM and it drove fine. Any ideas here? I'll send an email on to Panda to see if they have any ideas, but I'm lost... I'd really like to get it figured out before flashing my custom tune.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was gonna say did you pop off a charge pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm. That's kind of scary. Sounds like a bad/wrong tune. You can not really mess anything up with the fmic as there is only one sensor an 2 pipes to connect. I'm sure Panda will fix this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. That's kind of scary. Sounds like a bad/wrong tune. You can not really mess anything up with the fmic as there is only one sensor an 2 pipes to connect. I'm sure Panda will fix this.
Yeah, I've already emailed them but I don't necessarily think its their fault. Just something that the tune didn't like. I probably underestimated how a different IC would change the engine parameters.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yeah, I've already emailed them but I don't necessarily think its their fault. Just something that the tune didn't like. I probably underestimated how a different IC would change the engine parameters.
That's the thing...it shouldn't have. Something, whether it be a sensor, tune setting, etc is wrong. The bigger intercooler doesn't change too much for the car which is why you can throw a bigger intercooler on our car stock and NOT tune it and it'll run fine. It won't see HP gains, but it still benefits from no heatsoak. That's why I asked about the sensor. Take it apart and check it all again man, it's your best bet. Walk back through the instructions slowly and be sure.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
check to see if the o-ring around the MAP sensor didn't break upon install. so when i installed my Steeda FMIC it didnt run right at first. no CEL at all (or any other codes that i'm aware of). i didn't button the car up until i test ran the car. charge pipes were connected and the stock clamps were good. MAP sensor was connected. re-ran through the instructions and pulled the MAP sensor out. turns out the o-ring had a small tear, probably from reinstallation. had to buy 2 different packs of various fuel o-rings at the auto parts stored until i found one that fit/sealed correctly. once i replaced the o-ring all was well. good luck!

Reactions: jjc034

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would double check the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
could have damaged the sensor for sure but - might also be the ags motor being removed if you did that - I left the AGS motor plugged in and zip tied to my frame on my 2016 when I installed mine (last week) as a just in case. I dont have this issue, maybe try the same thing. Easy test anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, that was really messed up. I flashed an OTS 91 Cobb tune and reset the KAM and it drove fine. Any ideas here? I'll send an email on to Panda to see if they have any ideas, but I'm lost... I'd really like to get it figured out before flashing my custom tune.
It was a short lived panic attack. I haven't flashed my custom tune again, but Panda says it should work. Thanks for all the ideas though. I'm glad I didn't have to take it back apart!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts