Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST, big turbo, built motor, and lots more.
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from work, and just cruising and suddenly all my gauges went to 0 like they were not working, speedometer went to 0, oil, temperatures went to zero, the car was still driving normally, warning lights on the dash came on, power steering not working, headlight not working, engine fault. When I got home I turned it off and tried turning car back on, no luck all dash light came on no started click. Said motor was on, headlight fault, power steering issue, motor fault. Also access port could not connect to ecu. I disconnected the battery for half an hour, no luck still the same issue. I am really lost right now. Have to hold start button to turn accessory mode off. Radio still works, sync works. All interior lights work, just car will not start, and help would be great. This is the first issue I’ve had with my car and it’s a big one.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,830 Posts
Give this thread a read, we are seeing a LOT of these cars kill batteries and also crack the BCM fuse lately causing these symptoms .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give this thread a read, we are seeing a LOT of these cars kill batteries and also crack the BCM fuse lately causing these symptoms .

Thank you! I’ll give it a read!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I’ll give it a read!

Hey, so I checked the fuses and they seem good. Issue still persists. Any other ideas? I may just go to the part store and get a few fuses and see if that helps. I really don’t know what to do.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,092 Posts
Now I NEVER, EVER condone this for anything other than test purposes, but you can remove the suspected fuse and attach directly to the main junction plate.

If it gets you immediately to a place of safety or as a means to diagnose the issue should a DMM (digital multimeter) be unavailable then so be it.

But let me be absolutely clear here. You NEVER run a circuit without protective measures. You can bypass the fuse long enough to see if it fixes the problem or not.

When you do the bypass wait several seconds to observe if you see an smoking, smell any melted insulation, or feel any excessive heat. If you do disconnect the circuit immediately and repair the fault.

Remember if the fuse blew from something other than NVH then you need to address that first.

Stay Safe
J

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I NEVER, EVER condone this for anything other than test purposes, but you can remove the suspected fuse and attach directly to the main junction plate.

If it gets you immediately to a place of safety or as a means to diagnose the issue should a DMM (digital multimeter) be unavailable then so be it.

But let me be absolutely clear here. You NEVER run a circuit without protective measures. You can bypass the fuse long enough to see if it fixes the problem or not.

When you do the bypass wait several seconds to observe if you see an smoking, smell any melted insulation, or feel any excessive heat. If you do disconnect the circuit immediately and repair the fault.

Remember if the fuse blew from something other than NVH then you need to address that first.

Stay Safe
J
So I was messing around and and one of the relays was hot, so I switched it with another one and the issues changed, would not even turn to accessory, so I think that may be the issue. Getting the new relay, fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,830 Posts
Did you check the maxi fuses with a voltmeter? The maxi fuses do not fail visibly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check the maxi fuses with a voltmeter? The maxi fuses do not fail visibly.
Checked all maxi fuses. Removed the fuse and tested it without, nothing changed. Could it be the clutch switch? The different relay did not help. The car says the engine is on, and my AP can’t connect to the car? Still very open to ideas.

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Checked all maxi fuses. Removed the fuse and tested it without, nothing changed. Could it be the clutch switch? The different relay did not help. The car says the engine is on, and my AP can’t connect to the car? Still very open to ideas.
Try giving the maxi/mega fuses a little twisting and bending motion while testing; these fuses usually don't blow, they just seem to lose contact at times like the internal element is disconnected but makes intermittent contact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

AP CANT CONNECT TO CAR all gauges are blank. No odometer, fuel gauge is full tho. Locks work. Climate controls work. Sync works but no 911 assist.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know of a way to start the car without using the start button? Like a bump start?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,092 Posts
Look at the main harness connector on the BJB (battery junction box).

Make sure it's clean and fully seated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve looked and done all things mentioned in this discussion, I put the car back together, all connections look clean all mega fuses send 12 volts through them. All grounds work. All regular fuses are not blown, even got a new relay that did not help.
I am going to send it to a shop tomorrow and see what they say about it. My local ford dealer is around 3 weeks out. I can’t think of anything else that could be causing this besides the ecu is messed up but that does not explain how I drove it home with everything saying it was broken. Bcm maybe. I don’t know. Thanks for the help I’ll update if I learn anything new.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,132 Posts
If you're sure all the harness grounds are good in addition to the fuses including mega/midi HCJB ones,
what about the splices inside the harness there was the tsb for on early foci?

Maybe have someone wiggle the harness while you watch inside to see if anything changes?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,132 Posts
And how old is the battery?
Any mods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And how old is the battery?
Any mods?
Battery is fine, went around it with my brothers car and hooked the jumper cables from his car to my ground and positive cable, just full bolt on right now, just got the ac evacuated yesterday because today I was supposed to pull the motor and put in a sp63 stage 2 built motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're sure all the harness grounds are good in addition to the fuses including mega/midi HCJB ones,
what about the splices inside the harness there was the tsb for on early foci?

Maybe have someone wiggle the harness while you watch inside to see if anything changes?
It’s a 2015, I did not think that applied to my year of focus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts