Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am new to the forum, and new to my ST i bought 2 days ago. I was driving to class today, and I lost my boost and began to hear a whistle instead. I have read through the forums and found that my charge pipe might have blown off. Is it dangerous or will it harm anything to drive home (about 10 minutes)? I am new to turbo, and I don't see what it could hurt, but i thought I would get some other opinions before I do. If it definitely will not hurt anything, I would just drive it to work tomorrow (about 30 minutes) and put it on a lift instead of doing it in my garage with minimal tools. If some people could give me some advice I would appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

-Stew

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Assuming it is a charge pipe that blew off, the engine will be breathing mostly unfiltered air during your ride home.

If your locale has no dust, sure, go drive it home (no boost!).

But if the pipe blew off at the intercooler, you need only remove the splash pan and the black plastic flat panel that connects the bottom edge of the bumper to the radiator support to get access.

So, you could drive the car up on ramps right there in the parking lot and with the right tools get the charge hose back in place.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: willfromfreeport

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a charge pipe blow off during a mountain run once, was 50km (30 miles) away from home and I had to drive over the mountain too (up and down). I just took it easy and avoided any dirt roads, got home, sprayed the I/C where the coupler goes with wifes hair spray put back on and voila. I would recommend keeping the distances you drive to a minimum. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine blew off yesterday as well. I put it back on before I read about the hairspray. Guess I'll do that next time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Dang mine has blown off twice in the past 2 months. I did the hairspray trick so I will see what happens. I also ordered a better t-bolt clamp for the next time this happens.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts