Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've had an issue with my car not starting from time to time. I bought a new battery in September and just had it replaced (2.5 weeks ago) due to not taking a charge on the trickle charger after 40+ hours. Yet before doing so the guys at AdvancedAuto checked the battery and alternator and all came back fine, oddly enough the starter didn't show up.

So here is what happens. I'll go to start it and it won't turn over (especially if the radio or heat/ac is on). I make an effort to unplug the AP and my radar detector that is hardwired in at the fuse box on the passenger side. Sometimes it will turn over sometimes it won't. Last night, it turned over when I went out, drove 15 minutes to a place, 5 mins inside, and won't start. Waited a moment then it turned over, drove to the grocery store inside for 5 minutes, and then wouldn't start and needed to use my jump pack. Lastly, drove 5 minutes and stopped to pick up food turned it off, and came out 2mins later it wouldn't start. So I jumped it again and let it run until the food was ready and got home. Dropped food off inside and drove for 25-30mins. Went out this morning and it wouldn't start.

What is going on with this? I have had more issues with it not starting since I replaced the battery with a brand new one. I don't have any DTC or CEL. The BMS was reset after I installed the battery.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be the starter. The car has 99k miles and it's never been replaced, but do these symptoms seem to align with a bad starter?

Any support is apprecaited! Thanks in advance.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,878 Posts

Reactions: itsjustdibella

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO if I am understanding the first part of that article, I need to look for corrosiveness on the battery, terminals etc. If all looks good then I should be opening up the HVJB and inspect the fuses in there? Is that the jist of it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all,
I've had an issue with my car not starting from time to time. I bought a new battery in September and just had it replaced (2.5 weeks ago) due to not taking a charge on the trickle charger after 40+ hours. Yet before doing so the guys at AdvancedAuto checked the battery and alternator and all came back fine, oddly enough the starter didn't show up.

So here is what happens. I'll go to start it and it won't turn over (especially if the radio or heat/ac is on). I make an effort to unplug the AP and my radar detector that is hardwired in at the fuse box on the passenger side. Sometimes it will turn over sometimes it won't. Last night, it turned over when I went out, drove 15 minutes to a place, 5 mins inside, and won't start. Waited a moment then it turned over, drove to the grocery store inside for 5 minutes, and then wouldn't start and needed to use my jump pack. Lastly, drove 5 minutes and stopped to pick up food turned it off, and came out 2mins later it wouldn't start. So I jumped it again and let it run until the food was ready and got home. Dropped food off inside and drove for 25-30mins. Went out this morning and it wouldn't start.

What is going on with this? I have had more issues with it not starting since I replaced the battery with a brand new one. I don't have any DTC or CEL. The BMS was reset after I installed the battery.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be the starter. The car has 99k miles and it's never been replaced, but do these symptoms seem to align with a bad starter?

Any support is apprecaited! Thanks in advance.
Cheers
So after cleaning that all up or the fact it hasn’t really been touched when putting in the battery prior. What signs would lead me to replacing the starter. It’s OEM and has 99k on it…and bit rusted. Especially in that pictureit looked rusted at a connecting point. Or look at the alternator. The battery is just dying. It reads 10.6v now and won’t turn over even with jump pack.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after cleaning that all up or the fact it hasn’t really been touched when putting in the battery prior. What signs would lead me to replacing the starter. It’s OEM and has 99k on it…and bit rusted. Especially in that pictureit looked rusted at a connecting point. Or look at the alternator. The battery is just dying. It reads 10.6v now and won’t turn over even with jump pack.
Or is it possible the busted A/C compressor could have anything to do with this….draining battery?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,878 Posts
There's a lot of factors here. What, if any aftermarket equipment do have installed? Have you manipulated any base configurations with Forscan or similar?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a lot of factors here. What, if any aftermarket equipment do have installed? Have you manipulated any base configurations with Forscan or similar?
You mean mods? Catless DP, pcv & CCV catch can, cai, 63mm TB AND TB spacer, bushings, RMM. I have the AP and radar detector.

I played with Forscan before for global windows and remove double honk. I have the ‘16 ST steering wheel and the IPC (gauges).

Can finally started. Taking it for a drive and the battery [email protected] when started and is now down to 15.1v while I’m parked with it and driving. It’s just shocking that all of a sudden this has becoming a constant thing…unlike before. That’s why I feel that starter or alternator is going.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,376 Posts
The alternator is controlled from the bus. So corrosion or wiring issues can also impact operation.

Do you also have FMIC and deleted grille shutters?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,376 Posts
The big 150a HCJB link goes to starter, but issues can also be related to smaller more delicate ones going to pcm, BCM, etc.

Any other electrical symptoms like strange dash lights or things not functioning properly?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The alternator is controlled from the bus. So corrosion or wiring issues can also impact operation.

Do you also have FMIC and deleted grille shutters?
Oh yeah DUH, I have a FMIC and I deleted the grill shutters but I left the plug connected and just zipped it away.

I had had issues with hill start assist not working due to my retro steering wheel fit but I figured that out and everything works like a peach now.
Only two things not working properly is the intelligent access in the drivers door and the AC compressor.
The radar detector is wired in to the fuse box but its never been an issue.

No dash lights or anything acting funky besides it not starting at times. While driving it for 20-30mins just now the battery voltage had dropped from 15.5 to 15.2 before left and while driving then down to 15.1 and then it was going back and forth between 15.2 and 15.1

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,878 Posts
Check to see if the connector to the AGS is damaged or full of water. 15 vdc is way too high.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check to see if the connector to the AGS is damaged or full of water. 15 vdc is way too high.

I didn’t have a chance to get a look at those hidden high voltage fuses yet. However, I did hit the starter a few times with the hammer. Oddly enough things have been solid since then. Which makes me think even more that it’s a starter issue but will still investigate further as you mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts