Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I moved to the city for a job last summer, and traded my '10 Tacoma for a '14 ST about a month ago. My car is completely stock, but I'm planning to make some small modifications and will do my best to scour existing threads before asking any dumb questions.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Hatchback

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I moved to the city for a job last summer, and traded my '10 Tacoma for a '14 ST about a month ago. My car is completely stock, but I'm planning to make some small modifications and will do my best to scour existing threads before asking any dumb questions.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide!

View attachment 262625
Welcome to the Hood! Memorize those pothole locations and watch for speed cameras, they must be precluded by Photo Enforced signs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha both good pieces of advice... I was lucky enough to "discover" most of the potholes and recessed manhole covers when I still drove a truck, and a good friend warned me about cameras before the one by Nats stadium in particular could bankrupt me. I take it you live in the District too, or somewhere else in the DMV area?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Use a good GPS like Waze, and you'll be warned of them from .5 miles out. Welcome to the area.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Use a good GPS like Waze, and you'll be warned of them from .5 miles out. Welcome to the area.
Waze <3 Even works in rural crappy areas like where I live...so many people use it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tip, I'd never heard of Waze before this but after consulting Wikipedia, I am now downloading it.

Separate question, where do you DC guys go to get work done on your cars?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great tip, I'd never heard of Waze before this but after consulting Wikipedia, I am now downloading it.
It's a must have in the DC area along with N/VA, because RADAR detectors are illegal. Plus, it's great at redirecting you away from miserable traffic most of the time.

My garage. :)

But I live in the suburbs of N/VA, so I'm not an apartment dweller. Hope you can find someone you can trust.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Plus, it's great at redirecting you away from miserable traffic most of the time.
I'll attest to this. It is very fast at detecting slow downs and rerouting accurately to save you time. Saved us from an "Estimated 45 minute delay" on the way home from Virginia. It took us back some odd back roads for sure...but the +15 minute delay was well worth avoiding the accident/construction ahead. It detected it when the delay only said +4min and soon enough it was +45min lol

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts

Auto Clinic in Merrifield VA, even though I live in North DC, Ben is the only guy I know I can trust.

I run Waze and the ST3 gps for max awareness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

I concur with the waze app. if you are lucky to get above the speed limit, its a must.

:big smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on your purchase!

I concur with the waze app. if you are lucky to get above the speed limit, its a must.

Thanks! And yes it's tough to approach any kind of speed limit in my congested neighborhood, but I have a 20 mile hike on 395 to Springfield VA every morning that's occasionally enjoyable and GPS-worthy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a must have in the DC area along with N/VA, because RADAR detectors are illegal. Plus, it's great at redirecting you away from miserable traffic most of the time.

My garage.

But I live in the suburbs of N/VA, so I'm not an apartment dweller. Hope you can find someone you can trust.
Nice! I'm thankful to live in an apartment bldg that has underground parking, but nothing beats a home garage with the space to tinker in.

The guy that sold me the car has an '03 EVO and a Golf R that he's taken to Stage 3, he recommended a shop in MD whose name escapes me- I'll follow up with him about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Auto Clinic in Merrifield VA, even though I live in North DC, Ben is the only guy I know I can trust.

I run Waze and the ST3 gps for max awareness.
I'll be sure to look them up, that's a strong endorsement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome! I just moved to DC last month to look for jobs, but had to leave my FoST in Indiana for now... I've also been wondering where to work on a car, I'd rather do everything myself if I can

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome! I just moved to DC last month to look for jobs, but had to leave my FoST in Indiana for now... I've also been wondering where to work on a car, I'd rather do everything myself if I can
Hope you and the FoST are reunited soon, and that the job hunt has gone well. I'll let you know what I find out about garages, though from the looks of it the DC OGs that weighed in above might have a good sense of where to go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts