Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suffering from heatsoak just because it's getting hot out. I rarely do any pulls, my car will never be at the track or even a street race. I sometimes sit in traffic but even if the highway is clear the hot weather makes it very noticeable of what heatsoak is. I don't even get much torque steer when it's about 90°. My question is what type of intercooler would serve me best tube and fin or bar and plate? Will I require a tune?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't know what type would be better, but I only know of one intercooler that's fin and tube...it's the Mountune. The Cp-e intercoolers are highly acclaimed. Don't dismiss the post above just because he's sponsored by them. Also, you don't need a tune to mitigate heat soak. There's a more in depth answer out there, someone with more knowledge will probably chime in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you removed the slats from your active grill shutter (AGS) system yet? Removing all those slats will greatly improve airflow to the OEM intercooler. As it sounds like it's just the occasional highway onramp pull you do, this may address the issue and save you $600-$700. If you're still having really bad heatsoak, then no, you don't need a tune to run an upgraded intercooler.

Know​ what your end goal is, what kind of budget you want to dedicate, and what you want your intercooler to do before purchasing. If you're going to create a canyon carver or track car, maybe tube & fin like mountune fits the bill for like $900. If dragging or autocrossing the car, that giant CPE Delta core for $700 is great or it's smaller $600 sibling (or its Steeda twin) are wildly popular, even for daily drivers. Or, for a daily driver you don't want to spend a ton of cash on that gets the occasional highway onramp pull, maybe a $450 Depo Racing is what you're in the market for, which is also a great product with a huge fan base and performs just as well. So, decide what you want the intercooler to do first, then start shopping around. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you removed the slats from your active grill shutter (AGS) system yet? Removing all those slats will greatly improve airflow to the OEM intercooler. As it sounds like it's just the occasional highway onramp pull you do, this may address the issue and save you $600-$700. If you're still having really bad heatsoak, then no, you don't need a tune to run an upgraded intercooler.

Know​ what your end goal is, what kind of budget you want to dedicate, and what you want your intercooler to do before purchasing. If you're going to create a canyon carver or track car, maybe tube & fin like mountune fits the bill for like $900. If dragging or autocrossing the car, that giant CPE Delta core for $700 is great or it's smaller $600 sibling (or its Steeda twin) are wildly popular, even for daily drivers. Or, for a daily driver you don't want to spend a ton of cash on that gets the occasional highway onramp pull, maybe a $450 Depo Racing is what you're in the market for, which is also a great product with a huge fan base and performs just as well. So, decide what you want the intercooler to do first, then start shopping around.
you read me like a book. Yes it's the on ramp and the 2 mile Verrazano narrows bridge I cross. I did not remove the slats. That will be the first thing I do. Thank you for the input. Going to order the depo 3.5 when it comes in. Seems to be a hard item to get. Depo is within my budget.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad to help! Yes, remove those slats and that will help tide you over for when the Depo 3.5" is in stock again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you remove the slats on the active grill shutters?
Do they slide out or do they need to be cut?

·
Registered
455 Posts
How do you remove the slats on the active grill shutters?
Do they slide out or do they need to be cut?
Once you have the stock intercooler out of the way you can lift up on the ags and gently pry the tabs out if they need a little help and it should just drop right out.. only take a min or two to get it off and if you're still unsure there are plenty on youtube videos on fmic install on these cars..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
IIRC- You'll have to remove the bumper in order to access the slats. If you're handy, and can swing the expense your best off upgrading your FMIC.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't remove anything to take my slats out. I just reached in and pulled out the bottom three covering the OEM FMIC on each side.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I didn't remove anything to take my slats out. I just reached in and pulled out the bottom three covering the OEM FMIC on each side.
I thought I read a post where you could only get to some of the slats that way. I dunno' as I haven't gotten around to installing my FMIC yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wanted to remove the slats covering the fmic and leave the ags assembly in place.
So they can be pulled out through the lower grill?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I removed the 4 rows of shutter which totals 8 shutters and left the shutters that cover the radiator.
This way the radiator shutters will still function and the fmic will never be covered.

Why would it ever be a good idea to cover the fmic on a turbocharged engine?
For that matter why does a ST even use shutters?

Reactions: Huzzah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmmm......I was wondering will the upper radiator shutters open/close if the lower fmic shutters are removed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like one row of the lower shutters is splined to the electric motor so the lower shutters
will control the upper shutters too. But the upper shutters are spring loaded to stay in the open position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts