Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 with 36,040 miles on it and am pretttty sure the heater core is shot. I was eating lunch in my car with the AC blasting (5 minutes maybe) since it's 120* here in Arizona. All of a sudden the AC dropped temperature and I started to smell that dreaded sweet coolant smell coming through the vents. I made sure I wasn't leaking any coolant and after a minute or two the AC got cold again. It has been a couple days and every time i start the car, whether recirc is on or off, I get that nasty smell for about 5-10 minutes then the smell dissipates. Ford is going to look at it even though it's out of warranty because of a few "problems" I've had with this particular dealership thankfully, but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and what Ford did in their case.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have a 15 with 36,040 miles on it and am pretttty sure the heater core is shot. I was eating lunch in my car with the AC blasting (5 minutes maybe) since it's 120* here in Arizona. All of a sudden the AC dropped temperature and I started to smell that dreaded sweet coolant smell coming through the vents. I made sure I wasn't leaking any coolant and after a minute or two the AC got cold again. It has been a couple days and every time i start the car, whether recirc is on or off, I get that nasty smell for about 5-10 minutes then the smell dissipates. Ford is going to look at it even though it's out of warranty because of a few "problems" I've had with this particular dealership thankfully, but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and what Ford did in their case.
Yeah glad to see them actually taking a look at it. That's ridiculously soon. And if you missed the warranty by 40 miles on such a part that would be an a55hole move to deny lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah glad to see them actually taking a look at it. That's ridiculously soon. And if you missed the warranty by 40 miles on such a part that would be an a55hole move to deny lol
The only thing i'm really worried about is them denying because of aftermarket parts. I can't really think of any parts that they can prove broke this. IC is part of the "cooling" system technically, but I think that's a long stretch.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The only thing i'm really worried about is them denying because of aftermarket parts. I can't really think of any parts that they can prove broke this. IC is part of the "cooling" system technically, but I think that's a long stretch.
For your A/C and heating system there isn't any connection that I could possibly think of. Like if they take it into consideration for warranty and deny it for something stupid it would be a corporate battle or court case immediately.

Unless your stock idle RPM was changed I can't think of anything that would be possibly to blame or related that is aftermarket. I would probably untune just to avoid that headache anyway so they can't claim "you modified the computer maybe something shorted" or something dumb.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For your A/C and heating system there isn't any connection that I could possibly think of. Like if they take it into consideration for warranty and deny it for something stupid it would be a corporate battle or court case immediately.

Unless your stock idle RPM was changed I can't think of anything that would be possibly to blame or related that is aftermarket. I would probably untune just to avoid that headache anyway so they can't claim "you modified the computer maybe something shorted" or something dumb.
Actually my idle RPM was changed. I'll unmarry the AP before I take it in.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after about a week and a half, the smell completely went away. It doesn't make any sense. Before the smell occurred, i swapped the tranny fluid and spilled a "little" on the bell housing but being in AZ where it has been super hot lately (an an hour commute to work mon-fri), I would think it would have burned off in a couple days MAX. Even then, it didn't really smell like tranny fluid to me although I replaced the fluid with the Motul tranny fluid and did not smell to see if it had a unique smell. Any ideas what you guys think it might be? Maybe i'm lucky and it was just excess that i was smelling?

Also what's weird is I would smell it the worst right when the car fired up from cold, so it's not like it was anywhere near heating up and burning off the bell housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts