Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue hasn't come up in any of my searches.

My heated steering wheel seems to perform very poorly. Sometimes the wheel doesn't heat at all, sometimes it heats very little. It also seems to be very "patchy". I have a Jeep Cherokee with a heated wheel and it is MUCH better than the ST's.

Does your heated wheel get very warm/hot? Does it seem consistent around the wheel also?

Trying to figure out if I should submit a service claim on this or not.

16 ST3

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes, mine warms up great and seems consistent. I left it on one day just to see if it would turn off automatically (I thought I heard/read that it does), but it never did; but I don't think I gave it long enough. It does level out over a bit of time. Don't know if I just physically adjust to the temp, if it stabilizes, or cycles, or whatever...but yes...mine seems to be working as advertised.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If its cold out then the steering wheel should get hot, if its only 60 or above it wont get that hot but maybe just a little warm. The colder it is outside, the hotter your wheel will get.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Haven't had an issue with mine yet. Seems to heat up quicker around the 3/9 o'clock positions, but a few minutes later it evens out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If its cold out then the steering wheel should get hot, if its only 60 or above it wont get that hot but maybe just a little warm. The colder it is outside, the hotter your wheel will get.

Do you have a source on this? I thought mine was doing the same thing and I was going crazy!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Mine is temperamental. Sometimes it heats up so much that I half expect smoke to come out of it. Other times, like today, it's barely warm.

Maybe it really is temperature sensitive? Who knows, by next month I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Do you have a source on this? I thought mine was doing the same thing and I was going crazy!
Well I might be wrong..

This is copied from the owners manual:

OWNERS MANUAL said:
Press the button to switch the system on. The LED on the switch illuminates when the system is on.

Note: The system only operates when the engine is running.

Press the button to switch the system off. The system automatically controls the temperature to avoid overheating.
Under high interior temperature conditions, there may be no perceived warming. This is normal and is not a sign of a system fault.
So maybe instead of reading the outside air temp it reads the inside air temp and adjusts accordingly.

Also, I used mine this morning and it was only in the mid 50s (3am in Atlanta driving to work) and the entire steering wheel was warm, not just 3/9 oclock.

edit: Just saw someone beat me to it. :).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you try looking in the owner's manual?
View attachment 182425
Well I might be wrong..

This is copied from the owners manual:

So maybe instead of reading the outside air temp it reads the inside air temp and adjusts accordingly.

Also, I used mine this morning and it was only in the mid 50s (3am in Atlanta driving to work) and the entire steering wheel was warm, not just 3/9 oclock.

edit: Just saw someone beat me to it. :).

Cool, thanks gents. Glad I'm not imagining things haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts