Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Remove or Leave Heat Shields

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing my Wilwood kit finally and the instructions say/show removing the heat shields. However, it took very little, and very very minor modifications to get the stock heat shields to completely clear the new brakes. No touching or interference anywhere. I'll make my own careful assumption that Wilwood chose to remove them since without some modding, they would touch and removing would just be easier and less chance of interference. I'm 100% confident in my mods however.

Having said that, it got me thinking...are there any good reasons to just go ahead and remove them? What are some pro's and cons to leaving installed or removing? Not too worried about (over)heat since no racing or track time, and velossatech brake cooling ducts are on the way anyways. Do the heat shields help keep brake dust and crap off of stuff? Do they keep road crap off your brakes.

Please list pros and cons on what you guys think.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i think you already hit it on the head....pretty sure they just help keep dust more controlled. i dont think theres anything wrong with removing them. probably get a little better airflow to the brakes. but im no engineer....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had mine off for 10K miles, hasn't hurt anything yet, more of a dust cover than a heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Okay that makes more sense. I've been thinking of modifying mine so my RS air guides do a better job.

Sent from another galaxy.
Did you actually cut the plastic pieces in front of them like they recommend? Just curious if you did, and and if you noticed a difference either way?

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
Did you actually cut the plastic pieces in front of them like they recommend? Just curious if you did, and and if you noticed a difference either way?

Yes I did. I really haven't gone any spirited drives since I installed them. Really wasn't able to tell during auto x since both days I ran were cool out and everything cooled off quickly. That was hard to keep heat in the tires and breaks those days.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you enjoy installing new ball joints and tie rod ends a lot earlier than you would need to otherwise, go right ahead and take them off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Installing my Wilwood kit finally and the instructions say/show removing the heat shields. However, it took very little, and very very minor modifications to get the stock heat shields to completely clear the new brakes. No touching or interference anywhere. I'll make my own careful assumption that Wilwood chose to remove them since without some modding, they would touch and removing would just be easier and less chance of interference. I'm 100% confident in my mods however.

Having said that, it got me thinking...are there any good reasons to just go ahead and remove them? What are some pro's and cons to leaving installed or removing? Not too worried about (over)heat since no racing or track time, and velossatech brake cooling ducts are on the way anyways. Do the heat shields help keep brake dust and crap off of stuff? Do they keep road crap off your brakes.

Please list pros and cons on what you guys think.
I would definitely recommend removing them and then covering the ball joint, tie rod end, and abs sensor with reflective heat shield.

I tried putting them back on and adapting the VT Stage 2 kit to be actual ducts to the center, but that failed miserably and I had much worse temps and even brake fluid boiling (Castrol SRF) along with extremely fast pad wear (DTC60's done in 1 weekend). I took them back off and have the normal VT Stage 2 plus my DIY kydex guides and temps, pedal feel, and pad wear are back to normal.
IMG_20170410_195430036.jpg IMG_20170408_201552666.jpg 0902161340b.jpg 0902161340.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would seriously suggest keeping them.

As others have mentioned, unless you like replacing wheel bearings and sensors and boots, the heat from a track day will just melt all of that. Plus, if you have them hot, it helps keep water off them. If you have a super hot rotor, the worst thing you can do is cold shock it with water.

Do what the WRC guys do and drill them. If in doubt, do as the race cars do!

107489305_Jsrb6-L.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
:whs:

Pull the 'debris shield' off, wrap the ABS sensors in heat tape and enjoy the 20-30 degree savings you will get. :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Waiting for my kit to arrive to install, this thread has too many opinions in both directions, lol. Prolly just mod mine and leave them on I guess, don't plan to track my DD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had 2 cars that have gotten rocks stuck in the pads on the inside of the rotor, both dd cars with shield removed, I leave them on my street cars now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I have had 2 cars that have gotten rocks stuck in the pads on the inside of the rotor, both dd cars with shield removed, I leave them on my street cars now.
Not very fun when that happens, huh? Shoot getting the smallest of pebble in your brake pad is enough to drive you nuts with noise alone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts