Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just wondering if anyone is experiencing or has experienced the same issue. The headliner, right where it meets the windshield from the driver's side to the passenger's side, has become detached. I noticed it last week. I was a little shocked to see it especially since my car is a 2016 and is less than a year old. I have an appointment with Star Ford Lincoln, here in Cali, tomorrow. If you had the same issue, did you take it to the dealer to get it repaired? I am wondering if the entire headliner will need to be replaced or will they just tuck and reattach the end piece with glue? Here are some pics I took from the outside looking in and the inside looking up :

IMG_0252.jpeg IMG_0257.jpeg IMG_0259.jpeg IMG_0260.jpeg

·
Registered
57 Posts
The headliner in my '16 is crap too. I see similar (not quite as bad) gaps on mine as well.

Mine is lower on the drivers side than the passenger side. When I push up on it slightly, it seems like it should "stick", but just pulls away almost like the "sticky" adhesive isn't as good as it needs to be.

It's on the list of items to be looked at on my first visit. I only have 1200 miles on the car - build date of 7/21. I bought it on 8/19.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 16KONA, thanks for sharing. I just hit 7K miles and my build date is 10.21.2015. I purchased mine in 11.11.2015. I am hoping it is not necessary to replace the entire headliner. I feel the less they need to touch - and hopefully it is done right the first time - the better! The service adviser did let me know over the phone that he was going to be sending it to the upholstery shop for the repair.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I haven't noticed in mine, but how I gotta check. Dear God!! part of me hates being so OCD about this car.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a '15 bulit 2.4.15(4 days before my bday.. it was meant to be).. and mine is doing this at the rear when you open the hatch.. but not in the front.. pop your hatch and see if you're is falling out from the rear too(thats what she said) i'd be interested to know. you can only see it when you open the hatch tho.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I spend way too much time hunting headliner rattle (moon roof). Seriously they coated the inside with adhesive that's not sticky enough to glue the layers together but sticky enough that every bump makes the glue contact something, stick and then *pop* off. Always cutting and shoving different pieces of cardboard in between to stop it lol...

My biggest complaint of this car.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Mine was coming undone along the entire windshield within the first month, I asked dealer about it and their only solution was to send it out to a third party to have the entire headliner done. I decided that was too much of a risk making it worse and/or messing up other parts of the car, so I just live with it and it hasn't separated much more. I'll make a final decision near the 3yr/30k mark whether I want to take that gamble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was coming undone along the entire windshield within the first month, I asked dealer about it and their only solution was to send it out to a third party to have the entire headliner done. I decided that was too much of a risk making it worse and/or messing up other parts of the car, so I just live with it and it hasn't separated much more. I'll make a final decision near the 3yr/30k mark whether I want to take that gamble.
Blakula, the risk of making it worse did enter my mind. I took it to the dealer last Wednesday and what was told to me was similar to what the dealer told you. I stuck around and waited for the upholsterer to come and drive my car back to their shop (luckily, it was only a mile away from the dealership). My car was ready in 4 hours give or take. Sadly and to add to my already lingering disappointment, the issue was not fixed. I had a gut feeling something like this may happen and was not surprised at all. I am going back Monday morning to see if it can be fixed. Good to hear that it's pretty much stayed in tack in your car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spend way too much time hunting headliner rattle (moon roof). Seriously they coated the inside with adhesive that's not sticky enough to glue the layers together but sticky enough that every bump makes the glue contact something, stick and then *pop* off. Always cutting and shoving different pieces of cardboard in between to stop it lol...

620speeder, I am starting to realize this is a common issue with this car. When I took my car to the dealer last Wednesday, the upholsterer just used an adhesive (he also left some dried goop along the edge) to fix the headliner issue in my car. I can still see the underside of the headliner along the front and a gap on the driver's side. I'm not feeling too optimistic about my follow-up appointment on Monday but I know it needs to get done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a '15 bulit 2.4.15(4 days before my bday.. it was meant to be).. and mine is doing this at the rear when you open the hatch.. but not in the front.. pop your hatch and see if you're is falling out from the rear too(thats what she said) i'd be interested to know. you can only see it when you open the hatch tho.
Eric15RRST, I checked my hatch after I read your post. So far, it's in tack. I find myself (my "OCD" self) checking it every time I open the hatch now. Ha. Btw, it was SO meant to be :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I haven't noticed in mine, but how I gotta check. Dear God!! part of me hates being so OCD about this car.....
p.opus, Part of me hates being OCD too. I can't help it though. I don't even trust anyone to wash my car. I feel much better (and at peace) washing my car myself. Anyhow, I totally GET you !

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If I get around to tinting the windows I may just add the strip at the top of the windshield so I don't see the headliner from outside. Probably won't be til the spring, considering getting the "doctor's note" to get darker tints.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

I used folded up paper towels. Fixed it mostly.

My '13 has the headliner issue by the windshield. Surprised they didn't fix that yet.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi - just wondering if anyone is experiencing or has experienced the same issue. The headliner, right where it meets the windshield from the driver's side to the passenger's side, has become detached. I noticed it last week. I was a little shocked to see it especially since my car is a 2016 and is less than a year old. I have an appointment with Star Ford Lincoln, here in Cali, tomorrow. If you had the same issue, did you take it to the dealer to get it repaired? I am wondering if the entire headliner will need to be replaced or will they just tuck and reattach the end piece with glue? Here are some pics I took from the outside looking in and the inside looking up :

[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168418&d=1475519636"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168426&d=1475519635"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168434&d=1475519635"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168442&d=1475519636"]
[/iurl]
I don't know why this didn't show up when I searched headliner issues. I have the same problem with my 1 month old '16 FoST. I took mine to my dealer and they ordered a headliner so when it gets in we will see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know why this didn't show up when I searched headliner issues. I have the same problem with my 1 month old '16 FoST. I took mine to my dealer and they ordered a headliner so when it gets in we will see what the outcome is.
ALLSTOTT, keep me posted on the outcome of your new headliner. When I took my car to the dealer the second time, they kept my car overnight so they could have their upholsterer guy remove the headliner and reposition it. This was a better fix than the initial (unsuccessful) fix he recommended where he had his upholsterer guy use some sort of adhesive across the front (left a mess for me to clean up). I am "content" with things for now. It looks noticeably better now than when I first noticed the problem. I do have a concern about how long it'll take for the headliner to shift again. Perhaps the next time I bring it in because the headliner decided to shift again, the service manager will finally order a new headliner for me. I think it's great you were able to have a new headliner ordered. The service manager, and he seems like a pretty cool and customer service oriented type of guy so I kind of believe him, told me that he tried to order a new one for me but Ford would not approve it because it was not a safety issue but a cosmetic issue instead. Right after he said that, I actually pictured the headliner falling on me while driving... It's nuts to me how wonky the headliner can be for some so early in the car's life.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Theres a TSB out for it, I think its for a rattle but its due to the headliner half coming off.
I have the same issue, I getting mine fixed at the dealer. Its covered under bumper to bumper

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shouldn't worry much about getting a headliner replaced, while it sounds like a large repair. It's really not. They come pre-fabbed as an entire unit and literaly just get pushed up into snap clips with pre determined adhesive locations. Any decent shop should be able to do this well enough for you. Taking them out is a little bit of a chore, sometimes depending on the vehicle we will have the windshield removed to make it easier and more sucessfull.

Also if any shop is having a "3rd party" do anything other than replace the headliner, then you have a lazy shop.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Funny. My headliner is fine bvut I can not easily close my sunroof slider. It is bound up, seems to have flexed due to heat. Black car so I assume in the school I work ats parking lot it gets damn hot. I never close it anyway and will replace it someday under warranty. That is why I like new cars, that warranty can't fix anything and make it all better and new again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My only complaint on my 15 is the headliner around the moon roof. It rattles and if i press it up it seems to stick for a little rattle goes away, then a pop and its right back.. My dealership said they wouldnt replace it, but take it out and glue it back together again.. something i can do my self, i just havent yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts