Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this for a bit and just thought it was happening because it's 16° average around my area. Now it's a nice 41°, and while it's still cold I'm having smoke after she's nice and toasty.

I did some of my own research and apparently it could be a head gasket, or just some oil from a bad change that's still on the exhaust. Inside from what I can see looks a bit wet, so could it just be condensation? Am I just paranoid? Or is this worth taking to the dealership while she's still under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,609 Posts
It's just steam, everything is fine. Rest easy!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yep, just steam. It’s worse with aftermarket exhaust, the first time it got cold after owning the car, it made me look twice.

·
Registered
2014 Ingot Silver ST1 1990 Integra
3 Posts
Steam mine does the same thing freaked me out when it first happened while it was warm out.

·
Premium Member
‘13 Focus ST3, Tuxedo Black
301 Posts
You should see how much they steam when you’re fully straight piped.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
You should see how much they steam when you’re fully straight piped.
I've got a muffler delete and added another small resonator. The first several times I cranked the car, I nearly had a heart attack. Didn't help that I got this installed weeks after getting the car back from a head gasket repair.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a muffler delete and added another small resonator. The first several times I cranked the car, I nearly had a heart attack. Didn't help that I got this installed weeks after getting the car back from a head gasket repair.
oh my gosh I couldn't imagine, I'd cry

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
oh my gosh I couldn't imagine, I'd cry
It's been nearly a year and I still get a spike of paranoia if I see steam. Lol. Constant checks of my oil and coolant keep me sane.

·
Premium Member
‘13 Focus ST3, Tuxedo Black
301 Posts
Understandable. I was losing coolant and was sure I had headgasket issues. Couldn’t find a leak anywhere. Ended up being my coolant block, so I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's been nearly a year and I still get a spike of paranoia if I see steam. Lol. Constant checks of my oil and coolant keep me sane.
first car I owned was a mk4 vr6 jetta (140k+ miles) and I was new to manual. I shifted wrong on my 2nd day owning her and the coolant hoses popped. turns out all of them were brittle and about to do the same so I had to get them all replaced. the vr6 is big so they had to take her all apart, it ended up being a good $2500 to get it all set up. about how much I bought the car for

fittingly I crashed her after 4 years into a snow bank. she was totalled, but after getting towed away, the only sign left was tire tracks and a coolant puddle.
a little poetic in a way

now im nervous whenever I see anything dripping from my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts