Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am having problems getting into second gear. It always tends to grind and i have to give it like 3 different tries before it actually gets into gear. I got the car with 32k miles, and now I am up to 75k miles in just little over a year. And my warranty was up and it looks like from reading other threads about this I need a new synchro, so I am just curious if any of you know how much and if i could do it my self or to just let the car go and get something else. Thanks :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
No idea how much its cost to rebuild the transmission, but Speed performance out of NJ sells upgraded syncros. You could also try and source a used transmission and go that route.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am having problems getting into second gear. It always tends to grind and i have to give it like 3 different tries before it actually gets into gear. I got the car with 32k miles, and now I am up to 75k miles in just little over a year. And my warranty was up and it looks like from reading other threads about this I need a new synchro, so I am just curious if any of you know how much and if i could do it my self or to just let the car go and get something else. Thanks :(
$800 for just a trans rebuild not including new synchros. and that if you pull the trans out and take it to a shop. you could do it yourself but you need gear pullers and other specialty tools

·
Registered
825 Posts
Before you talk about the transmission internals, you need to check the shifter cables.
At the transmission housing, and in the cabin.
It only takes a small error in the alignment of the cables to SNAFU shifting.
Any single hard error laden shift could have bent or damaged the cable ends.
(which are piss poor quality. But I guess they want the cable to fail not break inside the tranny)

So I say check the shifter cable. it has to be perfect alignment, or no good.
And IMO, I bet on the cable. not the synchros.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts