Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I take pride in taking very good care of maintenance in all my vehicles. Today when changing the oil and filter of my ST I found oil that looks to be leaking. I'm not too mechanically inclined on turbocharged vehicles so this may be common place but I can't help but worry. It's hard to see in the pictures, but there was a thin coat of oil all around this area and on the black hose. Can somebody give some insight maybe?

2013 Focus ST just hit 60k

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the exact same issue, noticed it on oil change also. The oil return line from the turbo was cracked, I took it to the dealer as I was still under the drivetrain warranty, they wouldn't fix it under that warranty. They wanted me to pay about $300 for the fix, the part (return line) costs about $35 so I had a little talk with the dealership manager and got it fixed for about $200.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He hasn't had time to get it taken care of since he's in the middle of moving, but it's only like 1/4 of a quart low so it's a super slow leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh I'm hoping to take a look and see if I can find the leak this weekend. From what most people are saying it's fairly common to be a crush washer leaking either on the oil feed or return line

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had the exact same issue, noticed it on oil change also. The oil return line from the turbo was cracked, I took it to the dealer as I was still under the drivetrain warranty, they wouldn't fix it under that warranty. They wanted me to pay about $300 for the fix, the part (return line) costs about $35 so I had a little talk with the dealership manager and got it fixed for about $200.

I hope this helps.
So what was their reasoning for not covering that on the powertrain warranty? Seems like a no brainer to me. I woulda had a talk with the mngr too and whoever else it took to get it covered. Thats not right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leaking Turbo

Hey Everyone,

I know this thread is a bit old but I too have an oil leak at the turbo but my problem is it's a Mountune MRX turbocharger with only about 30k on it. I brought it up to a local tuner to have him diagnose the issue (which I trust but they don't work on many turbos, but they do put 1200hp turbo kits on Z51 and Z06 Corvettes so i know they have experience with turbochargers) well the guy calls me and says the internal seals in my turbo are leaking. Well freak me. Now I have to decide if I go back to the stock turbo or replace the whole flipping' thing because I've been told the turner cannot find a local shop that will rebuild the MRX turbocharger. :serious:

You can see the burned oil at the lower bolt near the oil feed line.
IMG_5798.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts