Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been using this stuff on my E55 AMG and it does keep temps under control a bit more, every little bit helps with FI vehicles..

Hy-Per Lube Coolant additive is only $7 and super simple to add to your car for a little more protection against higher temps...

2016 Ford Focus ST: Keep it cool... Hy-Per Lube Coolant

any of you guys use this? I know water wetter is probably more popular but this one is a little more cost effective :)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I had never heard about this stuff before, so got nothing to comment. Very surprised nobody had an immediate opinion to share though?

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used some wetter. Only half the bottle cause the other half went to my father-in-laws always overheating jeep. So far this crazy hot summer in Florida temps were good. IDK about track temps but daily driving/spirited drive and so far good. Most of those products dont do much but they help 1-4 degrees. Same as all those snake oil products.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used some wetter. Only half the bottle cause the other half went to my father-in-laws always overheating jeep. So far this crazy hot summer in Florida temps were good. IDK about track temps but daily driving/spirited drive and so far good. Most of those products dont do much but they help 1-4 degrees. Same as all those snake oil products.
1/2 a bottle? did you notice anything?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No need for any of this stuff living in Cali. Mix 25% coolant 75% water in the radiator. Its good to 10F before freezing. You car will run 20 degrees cooler and it'll cost you $.99 for a gallon or RO water. Drain a little over a 1/2 gallon from you radiator and refill with water. Burp system and that will get you close to 25% glycol.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No need for any of this stuff living in Cali. Mix 25% coolant 75% water in the radiator. Its good to 10F before freezing. You car will run 20 degrees cooler and it'll cost you $.99 for a gallon or RO water. Drain a little over a 1/2 gallon from you radiator and refill with water. Burp system and that will get you close to 25% glycol.
how hot does it get in simi valley?

Sacramento temps can be 105-110F in the summer... that equates to 125-130F IATs at idle right?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Obviously dont do this if you are in Canada and -40f is not unheard of. If I understand the concept here right anyways?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have used Redline Water Wetter. It MAY have made a difference, but to be honest, I don't think it is quite 20 degrees.

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have used Redline Water Wetter. It MAY have made a difference, but to be honest, I don't think it is quite 20 degrees.
20 is with water and this only - coolant tempers it a bit to about 6-7 degrees, but every bit of higher temp can impact timing

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks SI for the suggestion.

My car loss 9 degrees of advance after coolant temps hit 210 degrees.

I was going to add Royal Purple Ice to the system.

The goal is to have the car not get any hotter than about 205 even when sort of hot lapping the car at the strip.

Had 26 degrees of advance = 101.96 mph

Dropped to 16-17 degrees of advance = 100.44 mph

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
It works for sure. Glycol (coolant) is there to keep things lubed and from freezing. It is not a very good heat conductor. Water is much better. 20% coolant is enough to keep the pump and radiator well lubed and happy. I ran a 20/80 mix in my car. If you feel the need you can add a couple ounces of norosion also but it's really not needed unless you are running straight water. It's made for classic cars with aluminum cooling systems that cant have coolant in them and need to be lubed.

No-Rosion Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitor

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm going to bump this because I finally got to do the coolant mod.

Drained a bit over 1/2 gallon of coolant and replaced it with purified drinking water as recommended by @SIstomper.

More information coming stay tuned as my quest to keep coolant temps below 200 degrees has just started.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I did this when I did my turbi install. In Texas heat my car ran cooler and when it did get hot from really hard driving, a quick cool down drive brought it back down fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts