Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My bday is coming up and my wife gave me a budget of 1k for anything I want or need. I decided to test the waters with upgrades to my ST. So far I have few tasteful upgrades shown on my sig. I was thinking of getting the Cobb stage 1 with the AP, filter and RMM. It's just under 1k so I was wondering if that's the route I should take or buy everything separately from different brands. I definitely want a RMM and Cobb AP but what else would I be able to get with this budget? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,137 Posts
Hey everyone. My bday is coming up and my wife gave me a budget of 1k for anything I want or need. I decided to test the waters with upgrades to my ST. So far I have few tasteful upgrades shown on my sig. I was thinking of getting the Cobb stage 1 with the AP, filter and RMM. It's just under 1k so I was wondering if that's the route I should take or buy everything separately from different brands. I definitely want a RMM and Cobb AP but what else would I be able to get with this budget? Thanks!
I'd get an accessport from a tuner of your choice. It will come with the superior maps of the tuner most likely.

Rmm is a great choice.

Green filter would be perfect.

Also look into maybe a Depo racing fmic. Our stock one is horrible.

Most people agree that your first two mods should be a AP3 and a FMIC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get an accessport from a tuner of your choice. It will come with the superior maps of the tuner most likely.

Rmm is a great choice.

Green filter would be perfect.

Also look into maybe a Depo racing fmic. Our stock one is horrible.

Most people agree that your first two mods should be a AP3 and a FMIC.
I believe getting the FMIC and Cobb AP will throw me over the budget

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
FMIC is a must, for anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I get a intercooler without a tune or I need the tune to get maximum hp out? Was thinking of getting a catted downpipe instead of AP from looking at the gains it wasn't many but just asking

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A FMIC will improve even stock tune performance in that the heatsoak will not reduce the power. A tune is required to actually gain power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a Mishimoto open box JLine universal fmic off Amazon for $160. If you can find an open box Mishimoto go for it if not grab the Depo. I have a Depo down pipe and it has been flawless. You could also look at Unleashed tuning and get an SCT X4 with a custom tune for $399 I believe. I don’t think you will hear anything bad about Torrie’s tunes. His e30 tune is a monster lol! All just my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Used ap, Depo 3.5 fmic and catted dp. $200 more get a tune. Stage 3 is a different animal with a custom tune. I probably wouldn't put on the dp till I got a tune though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to go against the Depo/AP suggestions and say go with the Mountune B1 package. With a coupon code, you can get the AP3, Mountune FMIC, Mountune high-flow air filter, and 1 custom tune all for $855. The AP3 included in this package has all the Cobb OTS tunes, in addition to the Mountune custom tune, so you're not losing any features.

Take the remaining $145 and get your choice of RMM ($125-155). Sell the Mountune air filter, since you already have a green filter and you'll get a little money back, too.

Going that route will get you an AP3, FMIC, RMM, and a custom tune for right at your $1k budget. I don't think you can get a better value than that, even with the Depo FMIC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can I get a intercooler without a tune or I need the tune to get maximum hp out? Was thinking of getting a catted downpipe instead of AP from looking at the gains it wasn't many but just asking
An intercooler alone wont add power at all, a bad one will lose it. Most raise the boost and that makes more heat and the intercooler cools it down so you get more power for very short time doing that. The best way is bigger turbo, the make much more air flow at the same boost level and run cooler and make more power, the rest raises boost and makes more heat that blows pistons. Not a fan of hot air intakes either... pulling hot air from engine to make more power???!!! I ve seen dyno runs and all lost power at about 1-3 hp all the time K&N etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts