Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has no one converted to AWD?? I see several civics that stole parts from the CRVs, which to me is mind blowing the amount work that takes. Yet, I haven't seen any AWD STs. I guess since there's no old RSs laying around in junk yards it's difficult to get parts? Seems too obvious to me that converting to AWD would be one of the first things to do performance wise, so I must be missing something. I know tons of us have thought about it. Any one actually do it, or spent more time than me researching it that can provide some good discussion?

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
Has no one converted to AWD?? I see several civics that stole parts from the CRVs, which to me is mind blowing the amount work that takes. Yet, I haven't seen any AWD STs. I guess since there's no old RSs laying around in junk yards it's difficult to get parts? Seems too obvious to me that converting to AWD would be one of the first things to do performance wise, so I must be missing something. I know tons of us have thought about it. Any one actually do it, or spent more time than me researching it that can provide some good discussion?
It would cost more to convert an ST to all wheel drive than it would be buy an RS. The entire uni body would have to be reworked to accommodate the rear differential and the drive line from the front to the rear. The ST has no "tunnel" for the drive shaft and the rear end is not set up for the differential. Then there is the cost of the front trans axle and transfer case and the rear differential and the rest of the necessary components plus probably hundreds of hours of labor.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yeah you'd be better engine swapping the ST motor into an RS chassis...instead of redesigning and building the entire chassis to accommodate the changes. They are really similar cars but behind the scenes they are so different.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Off topic sort of... but you could go with a celica awd all trac motor and tranny and try to swap that into a not-fun wagon/hatch. Lots of my buddies who are ex-Matrix owners, ahve tossed the idea. Some have the funds and know-how, but majority don't have the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where there's a will there's a way. From what I can tell the only reason why the STs exhaust has a bend in it (therefore no driveshaft tunnel) is because of the fuel tank. A little fabrication and that problem is fixed. As far as parts, I can see where this would cost a lot if purchased OEM. When I picture an AWD ST in my head, I see a stripped drag car. The AWD civic with 1300hp that's running 7s in the 1/4 is what gave me this thought. And yeah, they probably spent 3 times the cost of an RS to get it there.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
M-SPORT in Europe converts Fiesta's to AWD all the time.

They start at around $200,000.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
My next build is going to a be a 90's 2 door Impreza with STI swap budget build rally car(budget as in not costing $200,000)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Heck, cant even recall anyone attempting an AWD swap on any Focus. The closest I saw anyone get about AWD was the research hurtinfocus over at ff.com did but I dont think he ever followed through...if anyone wasnt familiar, he also did an impressive mk1 RS conversion/build. At the time, i think they decided an AWD X-type would be a good candidate to harvest parts from.

Plenty of mk1 RWD conversions but nothing with all wheels getting power. As we are on the topic, RWD ST would be interesting..surely same fitment issues already mentioned with the AWD though

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
This question/there is a new thread about AWD ST every few months. No one seems to have seen it done, or has attempted to do it. General consensus is it's going to be so costly ya might as well get an RS. Until someone gives it a whirl, it's not even worth considering.

Reactions: LuckyWelds

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Thanks for the input professor buzkill. How do I know if no one has done if I don't ask?
lol your attitude flipped hard. People already told you it would not work, where you responded with a normal tone. Then here you act like a prick to NJFocusSt who gave a pretty much identical answer.

I must be missing something. :)

Reactions: LuckyWelds

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Nah its just hard to guess tone on the internet. But Im glad its all jokes, thats welcome. If anything I feel silly now I see how your words were harmless. But imagine it in a mean tone maybe you can see where I was coming from.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Biggest issue is that the rs uses a bunch of electronics to make the rear end work and you’d likely New the whole wire harness and ecu but then the ecu may not work with the 2.0. The motor is similiar but there may be differences in resistance in sensors etc. there is room in the tunnel, the rs is the same platform as ours, you’d need the rear subframe from the rs and the rs transmission. Otherwise we are similar cars

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Biggest issue is that the rs uses a bunch of electronics to make the rear end work and you’d likely New the whole wire harness and ecu but then the ecu may not work with the 2.0. The motor is similiar but there may be differences in resistance in sensors etc. there is room in the tunnel, the rs is the same platform as ours, you’d need the rear subframe from the rs and the rs transmission. Otherwise we are similar cars
Nobody (usually I do when this question gets asked) even touched on the AWD system Ford put into the RS...it's nothing like the conventional STI type of AWD system. It's state of the art and the torque vectoring and independent corner adjustments are insane. Computer controlled everything and very advanced...you could never put the RS's AWD system in the ST for this reason without a total reprogramming. Again, you'd have to engine swap an RS rolling chassis to achieve it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
https://youtu.be/Fk7NYtQdNe4
Has anyone else seen this. I don't know if it's a legitimate ST or not. Here's what it says in the comments: Ford Focus 2.5 ST FWD + Volvo S40 2.5 FWD + Ford Kuga mk1 2.5 AWD = AWD Focus ST.
I've never heard of the Ford Kuga but apparently they're sold in Europe. I'm guessing the escape is the American version of the Kuga. I'm going to do some more digging and hope this guys speaks English. His website looks like it Russian.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
https://youtu.be/Fk7NYtQdNe4
Has anyone else seen this. I don't know if it's a legitimate ST or not. Here's what it says in the comments: Ford Focus 2.5 ST FWD + Volvo S40 2.5 FWD + Ford Kuga mk1 2.5 AWD = AWD Focus ST.
I've never heard of the Ford Kuga but apparently they're sold in Europe. I'm guessing the escape is the American version of the Kuga. I'm going to do some more digging and hope this guys speaks English. His website looks like it Russian.
Since this is a MKII ST and not a MKIII.5 it's still a little different. This guy dropped a lot of money though to do this I guarantee it. Sweet though!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Has no one converted to AWD?? I see several civics that stole parts from the CRVs, which to me is mind blowing the amount work that takes.
Well it actually isn't mind blowing because it all bolts up because it is interchangeable. Just a matter of making it hold up to some of the power levels in these newer setups.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts