Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Has anyone dynoed their ST on the low-boost setting (stock turbo)?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SIstomper 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has ever dynoed their ST in the low boost setting, regardless of modifications.

I use my low boost setting regularly when I know I'll be sitting in traffic or doing strictly city driving and I'm always surprised by how punchy the car is even on 14psi.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity!

#2 ·
I probably wouldn't waste the expensive dyno time doing so but a vDyno is pretty easy to do, you could test it and let us know :cool:

Honestly though even at 15psi (what mine is with Strat) it's still a more powerful car than most commuter cars you see on the road. Stage 3 and E30 cars like your's are probably still over 200hp at 15psi. Stock runs 21 and dynos 230-ish at the wheels.

#10 ·
What's up Maryland! I moved to Howard County so I'm slightly closer to Severn. I take it you're at Fort Meade?

So I just added a gallon of e85 because I noticed some timing being pulled and a few knock counts in a 4th gear pull.

Went back down to the low boost setting and I swear the top end is stronger at 15psi tune than 22/23psi.

I'm guessing the fact that the turbo is well within its efficiency range, the lack of overheated air coming from the turbo allows the ECU to add as much timing as it wants. Either way, it felt really strong.

#6 ·
20psi is 1psi less than stock so that isn't exactly a "low boost map" lol

My car peaks at 23psi and will hold at 20-21 so you are making normal numbers considering I hit 26xhp while at 20psi usually at ~4500rpm

#11 · (Edited)
My car on E30 stock turbo 17 psi and 22 degrees of timing

View attachment 237777
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! That's a strong ass pull. My suspicions are correct. The K03 can perform just as well at its peak efficiency (if not better) than trying to force 23psi and expecting repeatable performance. I may try to get my tuner to get me a finely tuned 17/18 psi tune that I can run all year without fear of straining the turbo and overwhelming my stock intercooler!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.