Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've done a search on the site and others and found that other people are having issues shifting when the car first starts. I've got the same issue. On a cold start, after parking it in the garage, the car does not want to go into reverse, and has trouble going into 1st. Shifting while driving is also clunky.

Car's oil temp gets to about 140 and everything magically goes away. Shifting in 1st to 2nd is just slightly clunky, I can get into reverse fine, rest of the gears are great. So the first thing I did after my research was to drain out the old and add Motul dual clutch fluid. The fluid that came out was brown, no distinct smells, there wasn't anything in the fluid. I had a glove on when removing the old fluid and just rubbed it on my fingers and didn't feel anything like metal chips. Took the fill nut off, put the drain nut on, filled it up, torqued it down. Not much of a difference.

After a full day in the garage this morning I'd say it's worse. And of course this morning I woke up way late after a holiday weekend and am in a big rush. So it's in the garage and I push the gear to reverse and it doesn't click into gear, but the car is sort of in gear because the car is reversing. I apologize to the car that I'm probably breaking and get it out of the garage and then get it in first and go to my first stop sign. Clutch is all the way in, feels like it is still in 1st. Motor is sputtering as it's like "half" in gear and trying not to die. I get it out of 1st and the sputtering goes away. Feels like I can't push my clutch in enough. Then I remember that the car has been doing this for awhile. I was going to change up my spark plugs because I thought it was time, because the idle kept dipping periodically so was thinking that was the cause, but now I'm not so sure that's the only cause.

Either way, once the car warms up to around 140-150 range, everything is fine. I'm a budding home garage car mechanic DIY'er so I'd like to try to fix it myself so I'll try any and all ideas. The one thing I haven't tried yet is locating the clutch spring. I did get that suggestion from another post but I haven't had time today to look into that, and I also don't know where it is so I'm going to have to look that up. :)

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Switch to Motul, it'll help you tremendously.

Reactions: JCH841

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Reactions: JCH841

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles on your ST? I have this occasionally when ambient temp is under 30F, but otherwise no issue.
I have a 2014 with just under 80k miles.

We just had a heat wave so it's been 110+F all weekend. Not a fun time to work on the car but whatcha gonna do.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
I have not tried adjusting the shifter cable, but when the car is off, I can shift to all gears no problem. Once car is on and cold hard to shift. Once it's hot, real hot, no problem again.
Try it anyway; usually shifting problems only manifest themselves while the car is running, and, are almost always worse when cold.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,594 Posts
When you first get into your car BEFORE you start the engine, pump the clutch pedal 10+ times and see if that improves anything once the engine does start.

You mentioned it feels like the car wants to move which would make sense if the clutch isn't fully disengaging when cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you first get into your car BEFORE you start the engine, pump the clutch pedal 10+ times and see if that improves anything once the engine does start.

You mentioned it feels like the car wants to move which would make sense if the clutch isn't fully disengaging when cold.
I will give this a try tomorrow morning and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Does it not go into reverse or first at all, or does it grind going in? Not to cause concern but I had a similar issue and it was never rectified and at 40k miles had to have a whole new transmission put in because I completely lost 3rd gear randomly when merging onto a highway at mid acceleration and they said everything was chewed to bits inside the trans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pumped 10 times, nothing.

Tried my damndest to get the shifter cable plug thingy out. Ended up with just a broken cable plug. No idea how I'm going to get that out but now need a replacement lol.

Buuuut. I did fix it. At least for now. I remember reading a post someplace the said something about the pedal itself. After driving a bit, I remembered that post and put the foot under and pulled.

Holy crap it probably traveled at least 6 inches back towards me. I push it in the normal way I usually push it in and first thought, oh my god I just broke my car because nothing would engage. I pushed it in further and damn thing slid in like slick butter. The point at which the clutch engages is completely in a different spot but it's butter for all the gears. I feel like it's brand new, but it's just going to take a few drives to get used to it again. So I'm thinking I'm missing a spring or something so need to go find that post again for some answers but wow that's a strange fix to fix the car.

I just wonder what stupid damage I've been doing to the poor clutch for the month or 6 or so the pedal was stuck in this position. Ugh. At least I know what's up now though. Yahoo.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
Pumped 10 times, nothing.

Tried my damndest to get the shifter cable plug thingy out. Ended up with just a broken cable plug. No idea how I'm going to get that out but now need a replacement lol.

Buuuut. I did fix it. At least for now. I remember reading a post someplace the said something about the pedal itself. After driving a bit, I remembered that post and put the foot under and pulled.

Holy crap it probably traveled at least 6 inches back towards me. I push it in the normal way I usually push it in and first thought, oh my god I just broke my car because nothing would engage. I pushed it in further and damn thing slid in like slick butter. The point at which the clutch engages is completely in a different spot but it's butter for all the gears. I feel like it's brand new, but it's just going to take a few drives to get used to it again. So I'm thinking I'm missing a spring or something so need to go find that post again for some answers but wow that's a strange fix to fix the car.

I just wonder what stupid damage I've been doing to the poor clutch for the month or 6 or so the pedal was stuck in this position. Ugh. At least I know what's up now though. Yahoo.
Did you buy the car new or used? Might be a previous owner fiddled with the clutch pedal return spring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This morning, smooth as butta. Car made me freaking smile lol.

Did you buy the car new or used? Might be a previous owner fiddled with the clutch pedal return spring.
Bought it used so yeah I'm guessing some kind of mod was done that was affecting it. Thanks for giving me a starting point of what to look up :D

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,440 Posts
Previous owner of my car completely removed the return spring, so the pedal was down an inch or two from where it should have been. I think replacing that with the Steeda spring (after buying the factory one so I could get the hardware for it) was one of the first mods I did.

·
Registered
14 ST3 Tangerine
27 Posts
M
So I've done a search on the site and others and found that other people are having issues shifting when the car first starts. I've got the same issue. On a cold start, after parking it in the garage, the car does not want to go into reverse, and has trouble going into 1st. Shifting while driving is also clunky.

Car's oil temp gets to about 140 and everything magically goes away. Shifting in 1st to 2nd is just slightly clunky, I can get into reverse fine, rest of the gears are great. So the first thing I did after my research was to drain out the old and add Motul dual clutch fluid. The fluid that came out was brown, no distinct smells, there wasn't anything in the fluid. I had a glove on when removing the old fluid and just rubbed it on my fingers and didn't feel anything like metal chips. Took the fill nut off, put the drain nut on, filled it up, torqued it down. Not much of a difference.

After a full day in the garage this morning I'd say it's worse. And of course this morning I woke up way late after a holiday weekend and am in a big rush. So it's in the garage and I push the gear to reverse and it doesn't click into gear, but the car is sort of in gear because the car is reversing. I apologize to the car that I'm probably breaking and get it out of the garage and then get it in first and go to my first stop sign. Clutch is all the way in, feels like it is still in 1st. Motor is sputtering as it's like "half" in gear and trying not to die. I get it out of 1st and the sputtering goes away. Feels like I can't push my clutch in enough. Then I remember that the car has been doing this for awhile. I was going to change up my spark plugs because I thought it was time, because the idle kept dipping periodically so was thinking that was the cause, but now I'm not so sure that's the only cause.

Either way, once the car warms up to around 140-150 range, everything is fine. I'm a budding home garage car mechanic DIY'er so I'd like to try to fix it myself so I'll try any and all ideas. The one thing I haven't tried yet is locating the clutch spring. I did get that suggestion from another post but I haven't had time today to look into that, and I also don't know where it is so I'm going to have to look that up. :)

TIA
I have the same exact problem. Bought used a month ago with 72000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts