Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about what I want to do when I take ownership of my 2014 and the Quaife LSD is right up there.

Who's had this done and who's happy with the results?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thinking about what I want to do when I take ownership of my 2014 and the Quaife LSD is right up there.

I installed an Mfactory LSD this summer and am pleased with the performance. I'd recommend against the Quaife LSD and go with an Mfactory LSD primarily because of the price difference. You can purchase one for probably under $600 around the end of the year. You can always check the vendor links below and see when they go on sale. The Mfactory LSD is probably the most popular/most installed LSD here.

MFactory Competition Products

·
Administrator
10,717 Posts

I agree with JJ91284.

Having a LSD is pretty awesome, but it will make torque steer more wonky, as power switches between the tires and is quite noticeable once you start putting down 350 plus whtrq. Regular line traction is awesome though, and it seems to pull better in turns. I like it, and wouldn't go back.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd like to go the LSD route as well once it's time to replace the clutch but I can't find a shop near me that would do it. I know if doable DIY job but I have limited time on weekends and days off to wrench on my car.

·
Administrator
10,717 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. How's the winter performance?
If Speed performance was done with my trans, tgen this would be my first winter. It should be quite awesome.

I'd like to go the LSD route as well once it's time to replace the clutch but I can't find a shop near me that would do it. I know if doable DIY job but I have limited time on weekends and days off to wrench on my car.
Its a weekend job. If you do your homework, and plan accordingly. Not for the timid or easily frustrated though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If Speed performance was done with my trans, tgen this would be my first winter. It should be quite awesome.

Its a weekend job. If you do your homework, and plan accordingly. Not for the timid or easily frustrated though.
Are they rebuilding your trans? I just had them do both of my turbo swaps and might have them do the clutch and an lsd

·
Administrator
10,717 Posts
Are they rebuilding your trans? I just had them do both of my turbo swaps and might have them do the clutch and an lsd
My trans is the guinea pig for their upgraded synchros. They have been tinkering with it since june. I have no idea whats going on besides some kind of testing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with JJ91284.

Having a LSD is pretty awesome, but it will make torque steer more wonky, as power switches between the tires and is quite noticeable once you start putting down 350 plus whtrq. Regular line traction is awesome though, and it seems to pull better in turns. I like it, and wouldn't go back.
I've noticed this a few times when I have to go wide open on a turn to merge with traffic from a standstill. I find putting the car into sport mode helps to eliminate the torque vectoring (braking) on the tires and it grips great and you can actually feel the outside wheel pulling instead of just roasting the inside tire prior to the LSD install with ESC turned off.

Cool, thanks guys. How's the winter performance?
This will be my first winter with the LSD and I'm looking forward to it improving traction with my Dunlop Wintersport 4D tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I prefer standard 1/4" blotter but white on white is fine in a pinch. Wouldn't suggest the liquid stuff because you have to be really careful with transport and storage. Always have a test kit handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just slapped my winters on... definitely a squish factor when cornering, but I'm almost considering going down to 17s for my summers next year. Car just feels nimbler than the stock 18s.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This. I just wrapped up my LSD swap, and planned for over a month making sure I had proper tools, parts, etc. Even with all that, and buying a cherry picker to support the trans installation (which by the way is the most difficult part of this job), I spent a considerable amount of time more than I had originally planned for and ended up in a rental car for 2 days. That being said, I'm glad I did it and took it slow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts