Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice today while driving my RPMs would spike every time I engaged the clutch, nothing drastic (about 150-200RPMs). Heading home though it got a lot worse. Whenever I engaged the clutch the RPMs would just keep climbing until I let it out (ex. I'd shift at 3k but it would climb to 4 with the clutch engaged). I'm assuming its a tuning issue. I'm currently running a cobb ots stage 3 tune. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
I notice today while driving my RPMs would spike every time I engaged the clutch, nothing drastic (about 150-200RPMs). Heading home though it got a lot worse. Whenever I engaged the clutch the RPMs would just keep climbing until I let it out (ex. I'd shift at 3k but it would climb to 4 with the clutch engaged). I'm assuming its a tuning issue. I'm currently running a cobb ots stage 3 tune. Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Flash back to the factory map and see if it continues; aftermarket tunes usually eliminate the rev hang that the factory map has. It's supposed to make shifting smoother, most just find it annoying.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST
58 Posts
Sensor in the throttle may be bad. Mine did this and I replaced the entire pedal (sensor included in pedal) and haven’t had any issues since.

Reactions: StanE

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST-3
60 Posts
Saw a youtube video where someone explained that the modern rev hang thing was done to reduce emissions. I dislike it because the engine speed is held at a level which is too high for too long to allow a smooth gear change unless you takes ages changing gear. I've been driving manuals for over 30 years. I've never seen this rev hang thing before, it's a horrible development.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried reflashing just to make sure but I think you guys are right about the sensor. The car is still acting up

·
Super Moderator
1,636 Posts
I tried reflashing just to make sure but I think you guys are right about the sensor. The car is still acting up
Doesn't sound like a tune issue, this seems like throttle pedal assembly like some have mentioned. Theres a thread here about it too, ill try to find it later.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,842 Posts
Saw a youtube video where someone explained that the modern rev hang thing was done to reduce emissions. I dislike it because the engine speed is held at a level which is too high for too long to allow a smooth gear change unless you takes ages changing gear. I've been driving manuals for over 30 years. I've never seen this rev hang thing before, it's a horrible development.
Yes, the rev hang between gears is done to reduce emissions spikes which (on a manual car) happen when the throttle plate snaps closed quickly. But our Focus ST takes it to a whole new level by programming the rev hang to "pre-match" the next higher hear ratio (when upshifting), as a "driver aid". Note also that all of this can be programmed out by any good custom tuner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Revisiting this thread with my solution just in case anyone else deals with this issue. So apparently it was the pedal assembly sticking. I sprayed white lithium grease on the hinge of the pedal once and haven't had the issue since. You'd think this something like that would cause a recall 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,606 Posts
Yes, the rev hang between gears is done to reduce emissions spikes which (on a manual car) happen when the throttle plate snaps closed quickly. But our Focus ST takes it to a whole new level by programming the rev hang to "pre-match" the next higher hear ratio (when upshifting), as a "driver aid". Note also that all of this can be programmed out by any good custom tuner.
I bought my car used and don't think it was tuned, however it seems to drive normal for a manual without the computer trying to match revs.
Was this disabled or improved by 2016 perhaps?
Or maybe tied to turning off hill start assist?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I bought my car used and don't think it was tuned, however it seems to drive normal for a manual without the computer trying to match revs.
Was this disabled or improved by 2016 perhaps?
Or maybe tied to turning off hill start assist?

Nope my 17 had rev hang until it was tuned out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts