Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up with the flu for over a week and was quarantined to my house. Therefore the ST sat for over a week in UT winters around 10-40 degree weather. Finally went to start it and for about a good minute or so it sounded like the engine was knocking? Kinda scared me and just wondering if that is normal as I haven't ever experienced this before.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
So I ended up with the flu for over a week and was quarantined to my house. Therefore the ST sat for over a week in UT winters around 10-40 degree weather. Finally went to start it and for about a good minute or so it sounded like the engine was knocking? Kinda scared me and just wondering if that is normal as I haven't ever experienced this before.
When it warmed up did it sound fine? Probably just typical cold engine noises. Mine will start when cold then when it goes to rev high to "warm" it shudders some mornings a little which would sound a little like knocking I suppose...after a few moment it's gone and after a minute or two the car sounds normal again.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it warmed up did it sound fine? Probably just typical cold engine noises. Mine will start when cold then when it goes to rev high to "warm" it shudders some mornings a little which would sound a little like knocking I suppose...after a few moment it's gone and after a minute or two the car sounds normal again.
After about a minute or 2 it went away.
I know what your talking about but this wasn't really that. It was just a constant knocking and was a lot louder than I have ever heard with having the car before (I've owned it for 8 months)

·
Registered
979 Posts
More than likely valve train noise. Since it went away I wouldn't be concerned. Remember the oil drains to the pan at shut off, after several days sitting it gets pretty dry up in the valve train area. Add to this cold oil flows slower than in warm weather, thus takes a little more time to get the valve train lubed up at startup when it is really cold.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely valve train noise. Since it went away I wouldn't be concerned. Remember the oil drains to the pan at shut off, after several days sitting it gets pretty dry up in the valve train area. Add to this cold oil flows slower than in warm weather, thus takes a little more time to get the valve train lubed up at startup when it is really cold.
Thanks for letting me know :) I haven't heard it since that day so I'm guessing it had something to do with this

·
Super Moderator
8,563 Posts
Thanks for letting me know :) I haven't heard it since that day so I'm guessing it had something to do with this
May want to look into the engine block heater for those cold mornings. It is included on cars sold in areas that experience very cold winters and is available from Ford. Here is an old thread on it's installation: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/1538-engine-block-heater-harness-write-up.html

Edit: the part number is in the picture in the first post; it's cheap and easy to install.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Keep in mind our DI engines have a good amount of injector noise too. Perhaps you could have been hearing some of that as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May want to look into the engine block heater for those cold mornings. It is included on cars sold in areas that experience very cold winters and is available from Ford. Here is an old thread on it's installation: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/1538-engine-block-heater-harness-write-up.html

Edit: the part number is in the picture in the first post; it's cheap and easy to install.
You read my mind lol I started looking at one of these yesterday! Thanks for the write up as well!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind our DI engines have a good amount of injector noise too. Perhaps you could have been hearing some of that as well.
I was also thinking this too but this was a ton louder than any injector noise I've heard before. My previous car was a veloster and they had the loudest injector noise I have heard on any car but this was substantially louder than that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has always sounded rough and raspy for couple of minutes after a cold start (below ~25F)
Yeah usually the starter motor has a little bit more trouble around 25 or lower for me but this was on top of that too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I get piston slap in extremely cold temperatures. That's probably what you are hearing. It only happens to me on really cold start ups and during warm up for first few minutes.

If you get stiffer mounts you hear/feel it more through the car so much more. Sounds like a slap/knock noise as the pistons go through their rotation.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When I start my Challenger in the spring after sitting in the garage all winter I hold the accelerator to the floor and crank the starter for about 10 seconds. With the accelerator floored the ECU switches off the fuel injectors to clear a flooded engine. This will get oil pumped from the pan up through the top end of the engine before you start the engine. It sits in the garage with a battery tender on it and about once a month I will do the accelerator to the floor and crank with out starting the engine just to keep the cam and valve train from sitting dry all winter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I start my Challenger in the spring after sitting in the garage all winter I hold the accelerator to the floor and crank the starter for about 10 seconds. With the accelerator floored the ECU switches off the fuel injectors to clear a flooded engine. This will get oil pumped from the pan up through the top end of the engine before you start the engine. It sits in the garage with a battery tender on it and about once a month I will do the accelerator to the floor and crank with out starting the engine just to keep the cam and valve train from sitting dry all winter.

Will our cars do this?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get piston slap in extremely cold temperatures. That's probably what you are hearing. It only happens to me on really cold start ups and during warm up for first few minutes.

If you get stiffer mounts you hear/feel it more through the car so much more. Sounds like a slap/knock noise as the pistons go through their rotation.
It could also be this but ever since I started driving again I haven't heard it since so who knows at this point... As long as it doesn't keep happening like it did I'll be happy :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes they will, that's been confirmed in a couple of the big turbo threads. Some guys forgot to prime the new turbos and used that method to oil them before starting the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts