Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 ST1 with 7,4xx miles. About 3k miles ago I noticed a coolant smell after driving. That turned out to be a heater hose with a pinhole leak right around one of the plastic tee's made into the hose. And yesterday I noticed a bunch of condensation in my drivers side rear tail light.

Hopefully I don't keep having any more small issues like this keep popping up but so far the track record is not good. Anyone else have 2 warranty claims before they hit 8k miles on their car?
Dont get me wrong I LOVE this car I just hope this isn't a trend that continues lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
2017 ST1 with 7,4xx miles. About 3k miles ago I noticed a coolant smell after driving. That turned out to be a heater hose with a pinhole leak right around one of the plastic tee's made into the hose. And yesterday I noticed a bunch of condensation in my drivers side rear tail light.

Hopefully I don't keep having any more small issues like this keep popping up but so far the track record is not good. Anyone else have 2 warranty claims before they hit 8k miles on their car?
Dont get me wrong I LOVE this car I just hope this isn't a trend that continues lol.
Well, despite me totally agreeing with you that these things shouldn't happen...they are incredibly minor at least. And I've never heard of this happening to anyone else, so it's also an incredibly rare occurrence. I'd say you're still in the clear :) Now if you have a major failure of sorts within 10k miles then yeah definitely bad.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
558 Posts

Would you mind posting a picture of the area where the leak was? I have an occasional coolant smell under the hood and a slow loss of coolant - max mark to min mark in about 18 months. Took it in and of course they didn’t find anything. I’m looking for ideas on where to check for leaks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of the area where the leak was? I have an occasional coolant smell under the hood and a slow loss of coolant - max mark to min mark in about 18 months. Took it in and of course they didn’t find anything. I’m looking for ideas on where to check for leaks.
What does coolant smell like? I have a little bit of a weird smell after I drive mine. But I think it's b/c it's so new. I have <100 mi.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would also like to request a picture of where the leak was. My car is 2016 that just hit 12K. This past couple weeks I have noticed a faint coolant smell in the front grill area. My coolant level isn't dropping, no overheating, and no noticeable leaks. I spent two hours over and under the hood this past weekend at every coolant connection I could find and did not see any evidence of a leak. I did however (at least I convinced myself) that the smell is coming from the passenger headlight area. There is a coolant plastic overflow line that pipes into the radiator in that area. Disconnecting this and reseating this (while the car is cold!) seems to have made the smell less worse. Maybe there was just enough hot vapor seeping past that o-ring that it didn't affect cooling performance, but still stank. Maybe re-seating that hose closed that leak? Its a closed system - shouldn't smell it all. I went ahead and ordered the hose from TASCA parts and will replace it anyway, was only 16 bucks. Really don't want the dealer touching my car.

To Nomadic - it smells "sweet", a pretty unmistakable odor. When your car is COLD, open the coolant reservoir cap and smell it.

Sorry to derail the thread into my coolant smell woes...

·
Registered
558 Posts
What does coolant smell like? I have a little bit of a weird smell after I drive mine. But I think it's b/c it's so new. I have <100 mi.
When I first got mine I could smell the downpipe burning like smell for it getting so hot. I do not baby mine. My mom's Lincoln MKC had the same smell after getting on it to pass, flooring it. She has the 2.3 Turbo in that. But yeah if it smells like melting/burning it is the turbo/downpipe and cat getting hot.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I would also like to request a picture of where the leak was. My car is 2016 that just hit 12K. This past couple weeks I have noticed a faint coolant smell in the front grill area. My coolant level isn't dropping, no overheating, and no noticeable leaks. I spent two hours over and under the hood this past weekend at every coolant connection I could find and did not see any evidence of a leak. I did however (at least I convinced myself) that the smell is coming from the passenger headlight area. There is a coolant plastic overflow line that pipes into the radiator in that area. Disconnecting this and reseating this (while the car is cold!) seems to have made the smell less worse. Maybe there was just enough hot vapor seeping past that o-ring that it didn't affect cooling performance, but still stank. Maybe re-seating that hose closed that leak? Its a closed system - shouldn't smell it all. I went ahead and ordered the hose from TASCA parts and will replace it anyway, was only 16 bucks. Really don't want the dealer touching my car.

To Nomadic - it smells "sweet", a pretty unmistakable odor. When your car is COLD, open the coolant reservoir cap and smell it.

Sorry to derail the thread into my coolant smell woes...
Emphasis on COLD. You will most certainly be extremely and dangerously burned if you open it hot. I've watched people do it thinking they know all.

I very slowly notice my coolant go down too so now y'all got me wondering. In for picture

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well dang I didnt take any pictures. I can tell y'all which hose it was though! It was just a pinhole leak from a bad build on the hose. Usually the coolant will leave behind a white looking residue where its been leaking and had time to dry. And like others have stated its a very distinct almost sweet smell. Once you smell some coolant its easy to recognize. Ive just been around it enough to know what it was when I smelled it. My coolant level did drop a bit in the reservoir which was also a sign I had a leak. Part # for the hose was a CV6Z.8075.X its actually the bottom hose that comes off of the overflow tank, mine was leaking at the "T" connector part in the hose.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm not being rude

But dude, those are pretty light issues. The condensation in the light, I wouldn't even bother with taking it in for.

If by some miracle, you've had decent experiences with the Ford service at your dealership, I will even say you're ahead of the game because they're usually pretty terrible.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well dang I didnt take any pictures. I can tell y'all which hose it was though! It was just a pinhole leak from a bad build on the hose. Usually the coolant will leave behind a white looking residue where its been leaking and had time to dry. And like others have stated its a very distinct almost sweet smell. Once you smell some coolant its easy to recognize. Ive just been around it enough to know what it was when I smelled it. My coolant level did drop a bit in the reservoir which was also a sign I had a leak. Part # for the hose was a CV6Z.8075.X its actually the bottom hose that comes off of the overflow tank, mine was leaking at the "T" connector part in the hose.
Thanks for that info. I’m pretty sure I’ve looked at that hose, but will check it out again with special attention paid to the “T”.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not being rude

But dude, those are pretty light issues. The condensation in the light, I wouldn't even bother with taking it in for.

If by some miracle, you've had decent experiences with the Ford service at your dealership, I will even say you're ahead of the game because they're usually pretty terrible.
I work at a Ford Dealership and have for the last 13 years. Why in the world would you not want your tail light replaced if it had water in it? Or do you like bulbs being burnt out and getting pulled over by the police for petty reasons? Yes my issues have been pretty minor but so what. Im just concerned because my 06 Fusion that I bought brand new I didnt have any warranty claims at all hardly and I've already had 2 in 7,4XX with this car.

And anyways the process of getting my taillight replaced was extremely easy and I actually just did it myself anyways. Took literally one minute to remove and replace it and it didn't cost me a dime.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that info. I’m pretty sure I’ve looked at that hose, but will check it out again with special attention paid to the “T”.
Yeah mine was leaking where the rubber part of the hose joined up with that plastic T. You could tell it was just a bad build on the hose.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I work at a Ford Dealership and have for the last 13 years. Why in the world would you not want your tail light replaced if it had water in it? Or do you like bulbs being burnt out and getting pulled over by the police for petty reasons?
Because they'll put a large scratch in my paint as they're reinstalling the tail light.

Because they'll break the new tail light while installing it and I'll have to come back again once they order another to try.

Because the new one will have the same problem.

Now switch tail light with exterior rear door weatherstripping and you'll have my experience dealing with Ford service. They did all three of those things when trying to fix a simple piece of weatherstrip.

And thats just the start of my experience with Ford service. I've had much worse since then.

Taking the car in is a last resort option for me now. I avoid service because it's horrendous and more often than not, my car comes back worse than when I brought it in.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got the same problem: I can smell coolant when I park in the garage and walk around the front of the car and I'm losing some from the reservoir slowly. I documented it with the Ford dealer at my first oil change and they didn't see any leaks. When I take it in for the next free oil change I'll tell them again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dude my car has this exact same thing lol. Nobody ever finds a leak, but I have to top the coolant off every other oil change. So weird. If I ever do smell coolant it's the FAINTEST smell... It must be a very very tiny leak. Still sort of maddening. It's been like this since the car was brand new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts