Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diode Dynamic folks, do the SL1 H11 LED headlights work well in a halogen housing? I see you guys were aiming for that concept. Also, are the error free? no flickering, etc? Lastly, how long will it be until you have them in stock again?

·
Registered
88 Posts
They answered my question about this the other day- according to them, it works well. They also said they'd have a video coming soon showing beam pattern in the halogen housing. I'll be waiting for that video before I get the wallet ready, personally.

Reactions: Enemigo

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I would like to find a quality plug and play LED bulb to replace the projector bulb in my ST2. 5000k color. yesss...that would be cool.

Reactions: Fwrun and Enemigo

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Diode Dynamic folks, do the SL1 H11 LED headlights work well in a halogen housing? I see you guys were aiming for that concept. Also, are the error free? no flickering, etc? Lastly, how long will it be until you have them in stock again?

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response! We aren't receiving notifications when new threads are made, but we do when posts are made on our threads, weird!

To answer your question, the new SL1 works incredibly well in reflector style housings. We've had a Focus ST in to confirm fitment and functionality. We also filmed this helpful installation video to demonstrate the process:

How to Install 2012-2017 Ford Focus Headlight LEDs | Diode Dynamics

They currently have a production lead time (Made here in St. Louis!), but here's the direct link: Diode Dynamics: Low Beam LED Headlight for 2012-2017 Ford Focus

*They will require the Anti-flicker modules, but everything fits inside the dust cap with no modifications required.

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any additional questions: (314) 205-3033

Thank you!
Nick C.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Diode Dynamics, the one thing i'm concerned with is glare to the point where i'm blinding oncoming drivers. I saw the video, but hard to tell if there is a clean cut off. I know it's a halogen housing, but with the stock halogen bulbs, there is a cutoff. Please advise.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
@Diode Dynamics, the one thing i'm concerned with is glare to the point where i'm blinding oncoming drivers. I saw the video, but hard to tell if there is a clean cut off. I know it's a halogen housing, but with the stock halogen bulbs, there is a cutoff. Please advise.
Here's an output shot with the SL1 in a Dodge Ram's housings:

They utilize factory optics extremely well (especially reflector style) and produce the same output pattern as your OEM halogen bulbs. The SL1 produces 1630 lumens (measured), and the use effective use of factory optics makes the SL1 the best option out there.

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's an output shot with the SL1 in a Dodge Ram's housings:

They utilize factory optics extremely well (especially reflector style) and produce the same output pattern as your OEM halogen bulbs. The SL1 produces 1630 lumens (measured), and the use effective use of factory optics makes the SL1 the best option out there.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Nick, sounds great.. now, when will they be available for purchase?

·
Vendor
503 Posts
I guess I should have been a bit more specific, when will they be available? I've noticed the 4-6 week backorder status.
If you place your order through the site, they will ship within the next 4-6 weeks. Our production team is working extremely hard to keep up

Thanks!
Nick C.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed the SL1 H11 LED bulbs yesterday and holy cow what a difference. I made a video comparing it to OEM halogen bulbs and cheap ebay LED bulbs. Very interesting results. I will edit the video and host it on youtube. You guys @DiodeDynamics can use that video to show why the SL1's are engineered to work with halogen housing. Rest assured i'm taking my car to many shows this coming season here in Germany / France / and the UK to let people know that these bulbs are the real thing. Let me know what you guys think Diode Dynamics.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
I installed the SL1 H11 LED bulbs yesterday and holy cow what a difference. I made a video comparing it to OEM halogen bulbs and cheap ebay LED bulbs. Very interesting results. I will edit the video and host it on youtube. You guys @DiodeDynamics can use that video to show why the SL1's are engineered to work with halogen housing. Rest assured i'm taking my car to many shows this coming season here in Germany / France / and the UK to let people know that these bulbs are the real thing. Let me know what you guys think Diode Dynamics.
Thank you for the feedback! Our engineering team will be pleased to hear it!

Looking forward to seeing your video review!

Nick C.

·
Registered
737 Posts
@RickyST time for an upgrade from the cheap ebay ones.

Reactions: RickyST

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! Our engineering team will be pleased to hear it!

Looking forward to seeing your video review!

Nick C.
How is the range on these bulbs? From my understanding LED bulbs are brighter, but they lack performance when it comes to distance. So a typical Halogen bulb will show light further than LED. How do these perform?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How is the range on these bulbs? From my understanding LED bulbs are brighter, but they lack performance when it comes to distance. So a typical Halogen bulb will show light further than LED. How do these perform?
The range is much better than stock halogen. These SL1's were specifically engineered to exceed the halogen bulbs without causing all the unnecessary glare. I think the engineers did an amazing job with these! I love how they look at night. It lights up the road very well.

·
Vendor
503 Posts
The reason most of LED replacements don't produce an increase in usable hotspot lux is due to the fact that they aren't using the factory headlight's optics correctly. Using a sophisticated optical modeling software, our engineering team was able to place LED chipsets in the correct position to utilize factory optics extremely well. This results in a significant increase in hotspot lux (distance), all while maintaining an output pattern similar to OEM halogen bulbs. Here's an example showcasing the SL1's beam pattern vs. halogen in a 2015+ F-150's reflector style housing:

Thanks!

Nick C.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts