Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I don't post on here much since obviously I don't own a Focus ST, though my father does and I race it for him. His car is performing either under or something because I think something isn't right - though I'm hoping someone can chime in and shed some light.

He's got a 2015 Focus ST and ever since it was stock it seems to run the same times. My GTI with less power and torque, and similar weight (I always had two kid seats in the back and 45lbs of bowling balls in the back) I could rip off a 14.1 @ 100 mph in stock form. We've bested at 14.5 @ 95 mph. The highest mph this has ever hit was 96.63.

I've tried various rpm launches and it either accelerates and hits fuel cut, falls on it's face or scoots off the line. The GTI just blips off the line at 2500 and goes. Anyway, besides the point. I see threads of people running at 100mph or so and I'm wondering where exactly we are losing this at. Does he just have a car that is under-powered?

In before driver mod - I've drag raced for over 16 years in all types of vehicles so please don't insult my driving.

His mods so far are -

Symposer Delete
Mountune intake (the aluminum one)
Mountune uprated air recirculation valve
Cobb rear motor mount
Cobb tuner (on stage 1)
custom exhaust with m80 mid muffler no rear muffler

tomorrow he's having his new intercooler pipes put on and a new front mount - so apparently he can run a "stage 3" tune from Cobb.

I've seen people dip into the 12's slightly with that but I'm guessing more of 13's for him. I just don't want him to be let down with the performance of it for all that money. I understand it's not a drag vehicle, neither is the GTI. So what should he be expecting from this or is this about it from this car?

·
Administrator
12,615 Posts
Hey guys, I don't post on here much since obviously I don't own a Focus ST, though my father does and I race it for him. His car is performing either under or something because I think something isn't right - though I'm hoping someone can chime in and shed some light.

He's got a 2015 Focus ST and ever since it was stock it seems to run the same times. My GTI with less power and torque, and similar weight (I always had two kid seats in the back and 45lbs of bowling balls in the back) I could rip off a 14.1 @ 100 mph in stock form. We've bested at 14.5 @ 95 mph. The highest mph this has ever hit was 96.63.

I've tried various rpm launches and it either accelerates and hits fuel cut, falls on it's face or scoots off the line. The GTI just blips off the line at 2500 and goes. Anyway, besides the point. I see threads of people running at 100mph or so and I'm wondering where exactly we are losing this at. Does he just have a car that is under-powered?

In before driver mod - I've drag raced for over 16 years in all types of vehicles so please don't insult my driving.

His mods so far are -

Symposer Delete
Mountune intake (the aluminum one)
Mountune uprated air recirculation valve
Cobb rear motor mount
Cobb tuner (on stage 1)
custom exhaust with m80 mid muffler no rear muffler

tomorrow he's having his new intercooler pipes put on and a new front mount - so apparently he can run a "stage 3" tune from Cobb.

I've seen people dip into the 12's slightly with that but I'm guessing more of 13's for him. I just don't want him to be let down with the performance of it for all that money. I understand it's not a drag vehicle, neither is the GTI. So what should he be expecting from this or is this about it from this car?
Stage three includes an aftermarket Downpipe, just a heads up.

IS he running off the shelf tunes? Or is he using a custom tune. Theres a whole lot of potential to be unlocked with a full tune. That will get the car running great, then the rest is the driver and loss of traction. FWD FTL.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is a "times" thread somewhere in this forum. Check there and see what combos are doing what times. I do know that the GTI responds to tuning in greater degrees than the Focus. It sounds like to me though that your times are where they are supposed to be. I think that you'll see a nice increase with the higher tunes once you have your exhaust on.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
GTI is under rated from the factory, if you can get a good launch out of it 13's is easy at around 100 mph.

The Focus ST, in good DA yes in bad DA no. The Ecoboost engine is highly sensitive to fuel quality, air temp and inlet temps.

What are the weather conditions and track conditions you've run the car in? If it's typical Florida summer humid weather, I say wait until later in the year.

Most of the mods on the car don't really increase power, the tune does, but it's conservative with timing tables and boost tables.

If you really want the car to respond -

Get a custom tune and aftermarket down-pipe. I'm sure you know the huge power increase available to the GTI with just those two upgrades, it's the same with the Focus ST.

Get to the track early, raise the hood and let it cool for about an hour.

Shift where you feel the car runs best.

Do you have the latest update for your OTS tune from Cobb? It can be downloaded for free from Cobb's website, I think they are up to V2.3 or something.

But honestly don't BS around, get a custom tune, catted down pipe and either drag radials or slicks and it will run low 13's, high 12's. at around 106-107 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts