Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I took the plunge and went BT. Installed the ATP GTX2867r kit on Saturday and started tuning immediately. On the base map I was pushing only 12lbs of boost as to make sure everything was hooked up properly. Everything looked excellent on the logs that I did, so my tuner bumped me up to 18lbs. Before doing a log I got on it and blew the charge pipe off at 18.3lbs so I fixed the issue. When I went out to take my first log the 4th gear pull felt great, but I only hit 17.5lbs by redline. When I let off the throttle and shifted into 6th as I was almost hitting 120 the car threw an engine fault message (No CEL) and went into limp mode. I pulled off the road and the car would not rev over 3k, so I turned the car off. After waiting about 5 minutes I started the car and listened to the engine for a minute and everything sounded great. I was able to rev the car and everything was normal. When I got back on the road I wanted to see if it would hit the 18lbs like it had previously to the last pull and in 3rd gear the car would not go higher than mid 16's in boost. I got under the car and could not find any issues with the charge pipes as far as boost leaks. Any ideas????

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hey guys, so I took the plunge and went BT. Installed the ATP GTX2867r kit on Saturday and started tuning immediately. On the base map I was pushing only 12lbs of boost as to make sure everything was hooked up properly. Everything looked excellent on the logs that I did, so my tuner bumped me up to 18lbs. Before doing a log I got on it and blew the charge pipe off at 18.3lbs so I fixed the issue. When I went out to take my first log the 4th gear pull felt great, but I only hit 17.5lbs by redline. When I let off the throttle and shifted into 6th as I was almost hitting 120 the car threw an engine fault message (No CEL) and went into limp mode. I pulled off the road and the car would not rev over 3k, so I turned the car off. After waiting about 5 minutes I started the car and listened to the engine for a minute and everything sounded great. I was able to rev the car and everything was normal. When I got back on the road I wanted to see if it would hit the 18lbs like it had previously to the last pull and in 3rd gear the car would not go higher than mid 16's in boost. I got under the car and could not find any issues with the charge pipes as far as boost leaks. Any ideas????
Well first off, replace the intercooler charge pipe clamps with upgraded T bolt clamps if you haven't already or you'll pop it off again more than once. Work with your tuner or consider another tune from the forum here for assistance is another suggestion. I don't know what would have caused that limp mode issue in 6th, but it sounds like something that would be tune related and not mechanical. The boost issue just triple check all your lines, charge pipes, BOV, etc. If you have the stock BPV make sure it didn't fail because it sucks also. If it failed it would be worse than 16psi of boost but worth a try to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first off, replace the intercooler charge pipe clamps with upgraded T bolt clamps if you haven't already or you'll pop it off again more than once. Work with your tuner or consider another tune from the forum here for assistance is another suggestion. I don't know what would have caused that limp mode issue in 6th, but it sounds like something that would be tune related and not mechanical. The boost issue just triple check all your lines, charge pipes, BOV, etc. If you have the stock BPV make sure it didn't fail because it sucks also. If it failed it would be worse than 16psi of boost but worth a try to check.
Ok, so I am running a Tial Q BOV off of the CP-e Maptap connector that goes to the manifold. When I checked the BOV it is staying open during idle and I have found conflicting info from different people saying that its normal, and others saying no its not. In my opinion the tiny 1/8" hole in the MapTap thing is to small and not drawing the BOV open fast enough. Also the Engine fault message came on before I shift out of 4th. Almost right as I let off the throttle. Which is why I'm hoping that it didn't blow this new turbo. The turbo sounds normal and isn't making any strange or odd sounds, so I thing its ok. If anything I am going to examine the turbine on both ends just to verify. And then check all my connectors. Also gonna move the BOV vacuum source to the symposer block off plate since that is where most people connect to.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Internal or External wastegate? What kind of boost do you plan on running? If you were running 12 psi on spring pressure you'll have issues with boost up top. Preload on the actuator should be a minimum of 15-17 pounds. I've had 2 people now that have had to pull the turbo to adjust the wastegate preload

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Internal or External wastegate? What kind of boost do you plan on running? If you were running 12 psi on spring pressure you'll have issues with boost up top. Preload on the actuator should be a minimum of 15-17 pounds. I've had 2 people now that have had to pull the turbo to adjust the wastegate preload
Very good question... I am not running an external WG. I left the Internal WG how it came. Was unaware that I needed to adjust it. I plan on running around 26lbs, so how should the internal WG be adjusted??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts