Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I know this has been somewhat covered before as I’ve read through all of the big turbo thread and many others however I’m getting some confusion. My goal is 330-350 whp on 93 octane. No plans of aux fueling and no desire to use wmi (unless untuned for extra cooling only). I know both of these turbos are capable but I’m not which would be the better choice. I’m aware the Gen 2 2860 has supercided the 2863 however that turbo is not offered in Stratified’s kits which is who I will be purchasing though. I know the 2863 will spool marginally quicker but the 2867 will hold somewhat better near redline. Which is preferred on pump gas? Reliability is my main concern thus the low goal.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey everybody. I know this has been somewhat covered before as I’ve read through all of the big turbo thread and many others however I’m getting some confusion. My goal is 330-350 whp on 93 octane. No plans of aux fueling and no desire to use wmi (unless untuned for extra cooling only). I know both of these turbos are capable but I’m not which would be the better choice. I’m aware the Gen 2 2860 has supercided the 2863 however that turbo is not offered in Stratified’s kits which is who I will be purchasing though. I know the 2863 will spool marginally quicker but the 2867 will hold somewhat better near redline. Which is preferred on pump gas? Reliability is my main concern thus the low goal.
You're going to be happy with either, and make that kind of power with either no problem. I went through the same debate a while back as well. If you're going through Stratified, they have a LOT of experience with the 2867...because of that fact, I think it's better to stick with the "bread and butter" turbo for our car according to Stratified. Each turbo gives you the option of the .64 or .86 A/R depending on what you really want.

You may want to inquire with Stratified and tell them what you're really looking for. Personally, I think the Gen 2 products are the way to go, so I'd say 2867.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was in the exact same boat almost a year ago and was deciding between those two turbos. I went with the 2867r as I wanted that little bit more on top.
I also promised I would not go down the path of WMI or aux fuel, but now I am considering it.

I really enjoy the 2867r, you start to make power just after 2500rpm and it pulls all the way to redline.

Both are good turbos on our platform so you can't really go wrong with either to be honest. I would say you will get a 150-200 rpm spool gain on the 2863 but the top end won't be quite as good as the 2867.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Whats this turbo got on the 6758?
They're close in specs. If I recall correctly, the 6758 will spool a bit sooner, but the 2867 is more efficient. The biggest difference is that the Garrett turbos attach to the down pipe at the usual location. The EFR turbos require a proprietary downpipe. The EFR turbos also have an integrated BPV, while the Garretts require an BOV elsewhere in the charged air system.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i’m quite happy with the linear power band of my gen2 2867. i’m tuned with freektune though i’m about to change to a coated downpipe and 3” exhaust so i’ll have to have it re done. being said, it’s excellent and power delivery is great through and past redline.

Reactions: Ginger_snaps4

·
Registered
69 Posts
You're going to be happy with either, and make that kind of power with either no problem. I went through the same debate a while back as well. If you're going through Stratified, they have a LOT of experience with the 2867...because of that fact, I think it's better to stick with the "bread and butter" turbo for our car according to Stratified. Each turbo gives you the option of the .64 or .86 A/R depending on what you really want.

You may want to inquire with Stratified and tell them what you're really looking for. Personally, I think the Gen 2 products are the way to go, so I'd say 2867.
What is the deciding factor typically between the .64 or .86 A/R? I personally will be upgrading with the 2867 to a 1320 high flow DP, roush exhaust and intake as well as an intercooler (once I decide on what brand FMIC).

·
Registered
593 Posts
What is the deciding factor typically between the .64 or .86 A/R? I personally will be upgrading with the 2867 to a 1320 high flow DP, roush exhaust and intake as well as an intercooler (once I decide on what brand FMIC).
A/R comes down to flow capacity. The .86 will flow higher up top, but the .64 will spool quicker. I don't think the differences are really that much that you will be able to feel it. You'd have to find dynos or compressor maps that compare the same turbo with different A/Rs and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
.63/.64 for 2.0L

GTX2860 Gen II is the turbo I recommend for those of you that want something above bolt-ons and use the stock fuel system. The 2867 isn't that well matched as people think it is. If you run the 67 out to the limit; Firstly it won't happen on the stock fuel system. So why invest in extra flow if you aren't going to use it? Even if you made the investment into port injection you'll only get another 25-50 hp overall.

$1000 for 50hp to be optimistic = $20 per 1hp

2860 will max out the stock fuel system and here's another thing. If you just ran water-methanol or dumped in a can of race gas concentrate to your pump fuel, you'll only be down 10-15 hp from a car running an ethanol blend which is what the majority of ST owners do (E30/E40/E50). While there is truth to how much oxygen is added with ethanol, the more base fuel which in most cases is 87 octane is mixed with ethanol it makes it less effective.

400 hp will put this car deep into the 11's (full weight, 1/4 tank of fuel) if you get all the power down and you can.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A/R comes down to flow capacity. The .86 will flow higher up top, but the .64 will spool quicker. I don't think the differences are really that much that you will be able to feel it. You'd have to find dynos or compressor maps that compare the same turbo with different A/Rs and see for yourself.
So supporting mods really have no factor?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had a GTX2863 .64 I loved it, made 340 WHP on 93 and was at about 380 on Meth. I have heard great things about the 2867 also, could not go wrong with either!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have a gen 1 2867r my goal was 350whp on stock fuel system and 93 octane. It did it. Brian from JST is an amazing tuner.

The turbo is fun but it does have a little lag. The gen 2s fix this i think.

My new goal is 400whp hopefully getting aux fuel and tuned on e30/e40 soon

·
Registered
593 Posts
So supporting mods really have no factor?
Supporting mods always factor into things, but stage 3 is stage 3, right? Once you're over 350hp, the mods that will really factor into your power will be the size of intercooler, piping from intake all the way through to the exhaust, and whether or not your downpipe is catless. I could see a catless DP having a 15hp advantage over catted if you're close to 400hp. I could also see a small advantage (5-10hp) of an intercooler 2in thicker if you're around 400hp.

Those supporting mods don't necessarily change the compressor map, but they could make it more efficient. The A/R of turbine and compressor really are the deciding factors of spool and airflow up top.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a gen 1 2867r my goal was 350whp on stock fuel system and 93 octane. It did it. Brian from JST is an amazing tuner.

The turbo is fun but it does have a little lag. The gen 2s fix this i think.

My new goal is 400whp hopefully getting aux fuel and tuned on e30/e40 soon
That's what I like to hear. I'm getting a gen 2 2867r and hoping to make a reliable 350/350 +.

I think down the road I'm looking at 4 port aux fuel. Anything from e30 to full e85 to hit over 400.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I had a GTX2863 .64 I loved it, made 340 WHP on 93 and was at about 380 on Meth. I have heard great things about the 2867 also, could not go wrong with either!
1) One nozzle is not enough, you can hit 400 easily on that turbo with more flow from the water-methanol system
2) Run it out to 30 psi and it will make 400+

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well with the new Gen 2's the advantages just got more in GTX's favor. Those Gen 2's are HOT <3
tuners like stratified said there was no real gain other than better surge line. I think the GEN 2 is more hype than anything else for these smaller framed turbos. I think its in the 35 and above frames that they really made improvements.

Look at the difference in the 2867r compressor map. It's a whopping 1 lb/min more flow. There is a better surge line on the left, but we don't really operate there.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts