Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, searched all through the forums and couldn't find a proper thread for this kind of thing.

80% of the time, starting out in 1st gear from a stand still, i'll notice a growling noise with car vibration while letting off the clutch in low RPM's. It only happens in 1st, and once I'm above 6-7 MPH, I don't notice it anymore. Even slow-rolling through a stop sign in 2nd gear, down to like 5mph, I don't feel it.

My first thoughts were a wheel bearing or a clutch issue. The car is just under 60k miles, but I'm not the first owner. I literally just changed the oil, and it seemed to pop up right after I did that. I put in the usual 6qts of Mobil-1 5-30, and had no issues with the filter or change, so I think it has to be a weird coincidence.

The only thing I'm leaning towards is a wheel bearing, since I used a standard jack/jackstand combo to change the oil, and I may have put some weird pressure on the front wheels by jacking up one side, then the other. I'm assuming there's not a way to check the bearings without putting it on stands again to play around with the tires. I won't have a chance to do that for another 5 or 6 days.

Hopefully one of you guys have had an issue with this before, and can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not a wheel bearing.
Wheel bearings start to whine at speed.. And swerving a little changes the noise.
Like on the freeway the noise, but taking a exit ramp and turning left the noise vanishes,
right it stays or get louder.. (or the opposite) THAT is a wheel bearing.

Could it be the exhaust vibrating and resonating? It may be touching something? This is what I would think #1.
There is a lot of movement of the engine when pulling from a stop. As the car ages, the mounts weaken, and more movement. and this affects the exhaust hanging... plus the RPM may be exciting a resonance.
I know my stock ST exhaust has gotten louder as my car ages.. particularly at low RPM.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Might be the rear downpipe bracket. The rubber inserts the stock unit has are easily torn through. IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0517.JPG

When this happens the metal fingers on the downpipe that go in those holes will hit the metal on the bracket it’s self and cause all kinds of fun sounds when accelerating. Might be worth climbing under the car and checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wound up replacing mine with the heavy duty one rebel devil sells. Knocked the vibration and noise out completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ever find anything on this? I've noticed mine doing the same recently.
Is it worse on an incline (nose up)?

Ended up being the rear motor mount. Totally failed about 3 days/100 miles after the vibrations started. Definitely get it checked out soon if that's what you think it is.

Here's the other thread i started that actually got some traffic, for reference pics/vids for what it looked like before the failure.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...tion-growling-after-oil-change-low-speed.html

·
Premium Member
688 Posts

Ended up being the rear motor mount. Totally failed about 3 days/100 miles after the vibrations started. Definitely get it checked out soon if that's what you think it is.

Here's the other thread i started that actually got some traffic, for reference pics/vids for what it looked like before the failure.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...tion-growling-after-oil-change-low-speed.html
I am confused, your other thread said it was clutch failure ??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
91 Posts

How could you tell it was failing? I replaced mine a long while ago with the e-focus RMM to fix the shift-bang. I haven't paid attention to inclines, but I will now.

I found the duct that feeds the airbox was loose. I've just zip-tied it snug to see if that might be the cause.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the other guys on the forum suggested it might be that. Mine was a Ford OE mount, and i was assuming hadn't been tampered with, but the dealership it was towed to had other things to say about it.

The thread posted above shows how easy it was for me to flex the engine and wobble it around the bay. I got underneath the car and saw it was at a weird angle, too. When the dealership gave the piece back to me (i had them replace it with a Cobb RMM), there was a pretty large gash/crack in the rubber bushing, allowing it to flex more than it should.

On an incline, the engine tilts a little further back, and rubs on the mount/bracket more than on flat ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts