Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please send a picture of where yall grounded your aftermarket amp?

I have a complete aftermarket setup and I always get noise through the rear speakers and its so loud. Thinking its ground or wiring etc.

I have a 5 channel rockford amp, rockford 8in sub, AudioControl DQ 61, CT sounds stratos, and CT sounds mesos.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can someone please send a picture of where yall grounded your aftermarket amp?

I have a complete aftermarket setup and I always get noise through the rear speakers and its so loud. Thinking its ground or wiring etc.

I have a 5 channel rockford amp, rockford 8in sub, AudioControl DQ 61, CT sounds stratos, and CT sounds mesos.
I can't take a pic without dissassembling the whole setup, but I used a bolt under the foam insert in the hatch on the passenger side, take the foam out and it is really obvious just sticking up there. I have never had noise with my setup.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't take a pic without dissassembling the whole setup, but I used a bolt under the foam insert in the hatch on the passenger side, take the foam out and it is really obvious just sticking up there. I have never had noise with my setup.
Do you have a picture under the trunk matt anyways? Im curious to see how everythings mounted and wired.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
That 'bolt' is where the factory sub mounts. I used that one, had a little noise. After that I got a self tapping screw and made another ground near it, no more noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That 'bolt' is where the factory sub mounts. I used that one, had a little noise. After that I got a self tapping screw and made another ground near it, no more noise.

Yeah and Im using the stock sub box currently

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yeah and Im using the stock sub box currently
Under that sub box and behind it, there are studs connected to the body.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I mounted mine under the rear trunk panel. The one that wraps around the locking mechanism. I will post a picture when I go out to my car.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I find it odd that only the rear speakers have noise and not the fronts too.

A: make sure the the ground point has been cleaned off to nice shiny metal.

B: if you have a multimeter, you can easily test your ground to see if it is good or not. take the DMM and set it to DC volts, then take the red probe and place it to the end of the ground wire where it meets the body, then take the black probe and run it all the way to the negative terminal at the battery (you may have to extend the probes wire). once all of those connections have been made, turn on the radio and crank it up and look at the meter, if its showing any significant voltage, then the ground or its location is not good and voltage is trying to run through the meter. if the meter doesn't show a significant amount of voltage then the ground is good and not your problem.

I'd also switch the front and rear RCA's going into the amp to see if the noise switches with it (the problem is before the amp) or if it stays the same (problem is with the amp/amp's install)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

B: if you have a multimeter, you can easily test your ground to see if it is good or not. take the DMM and set it to DC volts, then take the red probe and place it to the end of the ground wire where it meets the body, then take the black probe and run it all the way to the negative terminal at the battery (you may have to extend the probes wire). once all of those connections have been made, turn on the radio and crank it up and look at the meter, if its showing any significant voltage, then the ground or its location is not good and voltage is trying to run through the meter. if the meter doesn't show a significant amount of voltage then the ground is good and not your problem.

I'd also switch the front and rear RCA's going into the amp to see if the noise switches with it (the problem is before the amp) or if it stays the same (problem is with the amp/amp's install)
I am probably going to redo the ground regardless, and I'd test it but I don't have anything long enough to get to that battery.

My buddy told me just to turn down the gain on the amp and I did and it reduces the noise like crazy. Hes gonna come and tune the system for me next week since every audio shop has no clue how to tune my system.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ground test read .8 ohms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts